The Student Room Group

GCSE Spanish Speaking/Oral Exam?

So I have just started year 10 and am fairly confident in my writing and reading capabilities in Spanish. I know my exam won't be until year 11 but I can't help worrying about my speaking exam and how that'll affect my final grade. What is the difference between an a and an a*? Can you get an a* from just memorising paragraphs and saying them in the exam, or is confidence, pronunciation and comfort with the language also taken into consideration? I'm really shy and lack a lot of confidence but I am aiming for 9A* at GCSE, so I'm thinking about all the things that could stop me from doing my very best, early. :smile: thanks.
How have you started Year 10? IT IS JULY...
Reply 2
Original post by D-E-F-U Student
How have you started Year 10? IT IS JULY...

Our school put us in our GCSE classes and courses earlier so as to give us more time overall studying the content.
Original post by e2014
So I have just started year 10 and am fairly confident in my writing and reading capabilities in Spanish. I know my exam won't be until year 11 but I can't help worrying about my speaking exam and how that'll affect my final grade. What is the difference between an a and an a*? Can you get an a* from just memorising paragraphs and saying them in the exam, or is confidence, pronunciation and comfort with the language also taken into consideration? I'm really shy and lack a lot of confidence but I am aiming for 9A* at GCSE, so I'm thinking about all the things that could stop me from doing my very best, early. :smile: thanks.

Memorising paragraphs can help.

The thing is you have to remember that you'll be under a lot of pressure and stress. This can make you easily forget things. Try practising with your family or your friends (a lot of practice that is).

I remember for my speaking exam they also asked me some questions, so just revise whatever topic it is and try to guess some questions which could crop up. They may ask you questions about what you have already said, or perhaps to clarify something. So make sure you know your paragraphs inside out.
In all honesty I'm not amazing at Spanish, yet in the speaking I put on this fake spanish persona which I call Pedro and just recited my very average CA which due to the confidence, pronounciation etc managed to get an A star.
Original post by e2014

I have just completed GCSE Spanish and there is a significant difference between an A and an A* in UMS points. I also lack confidence but I was told I had good pronunciation and I got an A* on one spoken piece and an A in the other. I would suggest listening to Spanish Vocab regularly and just practise, practise, practise. Languages are a subject that you have to work for in order to achieve good grades but if you put enough time and effort in you should ace it. At the end of year 11 I was predicted to get an A and that is after pratting about in year 10 so if you are dedicated from day one you should get an A* no probs. Remember vocab is key! I'd be more than happy to help you out with anything regarding Spanish as I love it and am hoping to progress onto A-level. Please don't hesitate to message me with any queries, I'm here to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending