I mean overall and just for academics, no one cares about stuff like sport
Furios
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Scarlet Sword)
If you by the top unis in world rankings, then the ivy league probably has more of its unis then RG (im not 100% sure of this) but RG has like 20? unis while ivy league is 8..so is it a fair comparision? it can be much harder to get into an ivy league than an RG.
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ivy League by far.
Serine Soul
Badges: 18
Report 3 years ago
Yeah, way more better
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
why is this even a q?
Scurve
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ivy leagues are in league with the likes of Oxford and Cambridge. Are RG's in league with Oxbridge? Does that answer your question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Scurve)
Ivy leagues are in league with the likes of Oxford and Cambridge. Are RG's in league with Oxbridge? Does that answer your question?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Oxford and Cambridge are in the Russell Group, such that, yes, they are "in league with" them.

I think you can likely find from the Russell Group 8 universities to give the Ivy League a run for its money. I'm not a fan of league tables but on that metric - a brute summing of scores - you certainly can.

Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Edinburgh, Bristol, Manchester
Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Penn, Cornell, Brown, Dartmouth
Scurve
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cambio wechsel)
Oxford and Cambridge are in the Russell Group, such that, yes, they are "in league with" them.

I think you can likely find from the Russell Group 8 universities to give the Ivy League a run for its money. I'm not a fan of league tables but on that metric - a brute summing of scores - you certainly can.

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Penn, Cornell, Brown, Dartmouth
Replace Edinburgh with Durham. And I doubt the quality of students at the top RG's are of the same quality as Ivy simply because of a larger talent pool by virtue of there being more people applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 3 years ago
Replace Edinburgh with Durham. And I doubt the quality of students at the top RG's are of the same quality as Ivy simply because of a larger talent pool by virtue of there being more people applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Warwick over Manchester
grassntai
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Edinburgh > Durham

The Ivy Leagues are highly overestimated, let's not forget the UK secondary education system > Amercia's. I'm sure students at the top RG like LSE can easily compete with some of the top Ivy League students, I mean the quality of some students who get into Brown and Cornell on courses like Hospitality and Eastern Asian studies... You just need to do lots and lots of extra curricular activities and their AP exams are no way near as rigorous as our A2's.
Scarlet Sword
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by cambio wechsel)
uh not so sure about those two. Bristol and UCL are kind of edgy but I'll accept that.

edit: Maybe durham, bath, warwick or saint andrews would be a better replacement.. (even though these are not even close to cam)
grassntai
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Magnus Taylor)
Warwick over Manchester
Warwick is unknown outside of the UK. KCL should be there instead of Manchester.
cambio wechsel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
uh not so sure about those two. Bristol and UCL are kind of edgy but I'll accept that.
I explicitly said that I was perming from the international league tables "a brute summing of scores".
Scurve
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by grassntai)
Edinburgh > Durham

The Ivy Leagues are highly overestimated, let's not forget the UK secondary education system > Amercia's. I'm sure students at the top RG like LSE can easily compete with some of the top Ivy League students, I mean the quality of some students who get into Brown and Cornell on courses like Hospitality and Eastern Asian studies... You just need to do lots and lots of extra curricular activities and their AP exams are no way near as rigorous as our A2's.
Durham is ranked higher than Edinburgh... and A2 is not rigorous at all... AP calculus BC is is a lot harder than A2 maths. LSE students cannot really compete with the likes of those in Cambridge or Harvard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1530463
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Warwick is unknown outside of the UK. KCL should be there instead of Manchester.
WOAH!!!!!!! No way!
Manchester is in the top 10 worldwide for employer's reputation. Only Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, Harvard, Melbourne, Stanford, MIT and Berkeley can boast that. This shows they produce world-class graduates which many employers worldwide know about.
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 3 years ago
KCL is poor nationally on rankings except medicine, law and war studies. Warwick is known particularly in India and China, which is why it has such a high level of international students from these BRIC countries
cambio wechsel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
LSE students cannot really compete with the likes of those in Cambridge or Harvard.
While I think this is wrong, we don't need it to be right. For the purpose of this discussion the LSE only has to compete with, its US partner institution, Columbia. Your comment implies that we already have a match for Harvard.
MCmnbvgyuio
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
America tends to have better universities only because of sheer number; there are thousands of them. The Ivy league is typically just a sport league, so there are some big names that aren't in the Ivy League like Stanford. So in general, yes the ivy league universities are better, solely because the universities for the most part in the US are better, but this doesn't make the league itself better than RG.
username1530463
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Durham is ranked higher than Edinburgh... and A2 is not rigorous at all... AP calculus BC is is a lot harder than A2 maths. LSE students cannot really compete with the likes of those in Cambridge or Harvard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you've forgotten many of these students have done A2 Further Maths.
Anyway, LSE does better than Cambridge when it comes to Economics, but not as good as Harvard, but close.
Soldieroffortune
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Since is based on funding and research yes they are.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
15.29%
The paper was reasonable (958)
55.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (370)
21.51%
It was TERRIBLE (129)
7.5%

Watched Threads