The Student Room Group

Is Ivy League better than Russel Group?

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE=EdCohen;57561141]You know what Im saying is true....Kings has international rep....if u ever meet a buff american girl.....u will be like hi there I go Warwick....she be like waaaaat??? I heard of Oxford, Cambridge and Kings.....but not Warwick.....I dont want to have my children with youuu.....Im going LSE in september :smile: :smile: :smile:

Why would you defend Kings? You mad because Warwick overtook LSE in History this year? GG 5th
Original post by Scarlet Sword
uh not so sure about those two. Bristol and UCL are kind of edgy but I'll accept that.

edit: Maybe durham, bath, warwick or saint andrews would be a better replacement.. (even though these are not even close to cam)

Why? Do you know how many Nobel prize winners Mcr has produced?
Reply 82
Original post by EdCohen
You know what Im saying is true....Kings has international rep....if u ever meet a buff american girl.....u will be like hi there I go Warwick....she be like waaaaat??? I heard of Oxford, Cambridge and Kings.....but not Warwick.....I dont want to have my children with youuu.....Im going LSE in september :smile: :smile: :smile:

Cambridge > LSE, Kings and Warwick so you two shut up now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Incubator
Why? Do you know how many Nobel prize winners Mcr has produced?

sorry what is mcr?
I know that Trinity college cambridge is the big place for nobel prizes
sorry what is mcr?
I know that Trinity college cambridge is the big place for nobel prizes

Manchester. You said you weren't sure about Manchester giving some Ivy Leagues a run for their money, when Manchester has produced 25 Nobel prize winners.
Original post by Scurve
Cambridge > LSE, Kings and Warwick so you two shut up now Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree Scurve. Finally a sensible and knowledgeable person on TSR.
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Why would you defend Kings? You mad because Warwick overtook LSE in History this year? GG 5th
Read what Scurve said.
Original post by Incubator
Manchester. You said you weren't sure about Manchester giving some Ivy Leagues a run for their money, when Manchester has produced 25 Nobel prize winners.

harvard has produced 153 and cambridge 90
harvard has produced 153 and cambridge 90

What's your point... Harvard isn't the only Ivy league.
Original post by EdCohen
Kings still part of golden triangle. When general people hear the name Kings their legs start shaking with fear because their grads are known for intellectual ownage.Same with employers. One business grad from kings was interviewed by JP Morgan - the recruiter broke down in tears because of nervousness.They say a warwick grad came in next and she didnt break a sweatso my mind isnt changing mate.

Hey! What the bloody hell is going on here?! Don't you know what standards you are meant to follow?
Is this about reputation and citations or about academic performance.

I found this online:

http://www.urapcenter.org/2014/fields.php

LSE is ranked 2 for academic performance worldwide for Economics but 636 overall, so it isn't lifted up by one course...
Reply 91
Original post by flibber
Is this about reputation and citations or about academic performance.

I found this online:

http://www.urapcenter.org/2014/fields.php

LSE is ranked 2 for academic performance worldwide for Economics but 636 overall, so it isn't lifted up by one course...

That's what I've been saying the whole time. Is there a list ranking all universities in the world? Like 1 to 100,000?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scurve
That's what I've been saying the whole time. Is there a list ranking all universities in the world? Like 1 to 100,000?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't actually know if there is one, given that some universities are sham universities, such as the 'Adam Smith University'... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Smith_University

Take a random pick from the rankings here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_and_university_rankings#Academic_Ranking_of_World_Universities

To be honest I'm considering applying to LSE next year but I just had to tell the truth to the other person.
(edited 8 years ago)

I think you've just proved my point with this... look down that list and there are some Ivy leagues on there with 1 Nobel prize winners.
HYPSM on par with Oxbridge with Harvard being "better" than the rest. Don't know why people are constantly trying to bash LSE and comparing it with Harvard and Cambridge. LSE and Imperial pretty much on par with Columbia, Penn...... The only problem they face is that their not multi facilities so some people may not see them legitimately compare to Columbia that offers a top programs in law, business, medical, arts etc.

Other top universities are UCL, St Andrews, Kings, Edinburgh. Not sure how to compare then to US colleges though
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by EdCohen
Yh I know employers take into consideration other factors....but lets assume uni prestige was the only discriminating factor left....they would choose kings.....sounds so much harder to get into prestigious kings...than old manchester

My offer from KCL is lower than the one from Manchester.
Reply 96
Holy Cosmos Batman! This thread blew up before I knew it!
America tends to have better universities because the government pumps a hell of a lot more money into them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by Exceptional
America tends to have better universities because the government pumps a hell of a lot more money into them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Money isn't everything. Cambridge has less money and is more academically rigorous than US universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Exceptional

Posted from TSR Mobile

The government, or private firms?

Quick Reply

Latest