The Student Room Group

The West Lothian question (1977)...

I was just reading up on some public law for next weeks class, and I found out that the West Lothian question, which I first came across last week, was posed in the year of 1977. WTF?

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I thought that the question came about due to the process of devolution, but this obviously cannot be the case as the question was asked two decades earlier.

I am well aware of the fact that Scotland has been over-represented in Westminster since the creation of the Union, but what political/legal arrangements allowed for the West Lothian question to be posed in 1977, well before the enactment of the Scottish Parliament Act of 1998?

Can anyone enlighten me on the situation?

Scroll to see replies

Hmm perhaps if some statutes debated were only to apply to England, ie education reform? I'm not sure how long scotland has had a separate education system.
Could it have just been a theoretical question?
Quite possibly, but then again... if there was no devolution why would anyone even be thinking about that theory? Ie, if the laws for the whole of the UK were even the same, why would anyone say "I know, if we had devolution, what would we do?" because no-one would have suggested it. Are we sure that there wasn';t already a primitive form of devolution, as your separate education system clearly existed before the Scotland Act.
Reply 4
edited post
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Devolution was very much on the political agenda in 1977.
Reply 6
It doesn't technically have anything to do with devolution. Scottish Law and English law are seperate and have seperate legal systems. Even before devolution was considered this was the case. It was simply a fact hat some of the laws Parliament passed only applied to England and Wales but Scottish MPs could vote on it. It later evolved in to what is now known as the West Lothian question when devolution was postulated.
So, that's basically what I said? Except I didn't know for sure :biggrin:.
Reply 8
Lewisy-boy
So, that's basically what I said? Except I didn't know for sure :biggrin:.

Yes, but my phrasing was far more eloquent :p:
Plagiarism. I believe mine was first :biggrin:.
Reply 10
Lewisy-boy
Plagiarism. I believe mine was first :biggrin:.

Possibly, but yours read like a first year desperately trying to reword the work of someone far more knowledgable. lol :p:
Oh no you didn't.... OK, so my turn of phrase on here rarely meets up to what it should.

Thanks for the critical comments, dear.
Reply 12
lol
I reiterate my point, supra post #10.

We find you guilty of plagiarism, therefore all of your [posts] carry no weight. Thank you, come again.

Kind regards

Some Vice-Chancellor guy who wants to chuck you out of uni because you were too lazy to make up your own ideas, in first year.
Reply 14
Lewisy-boy
I reiterate my point, supra post #10.

We find you guilty of plagiarism, therefore all of your [posts] carry no weight. Thank you, come again.

Kind regards

Some Vice-Chancellor guy who wants to chuck you out of uni because you were too lazy to make up your own ideas, in first year.

Dear Vice-Chancellor, I refer you to the univeristy guidance on plagiarism which is actually copied from another university without proper acknowledgment.
Dear Ethereal

You seem to have forgotten that whilst attending my institution, I am King. In the word's of Schmitt:

"He who is sovereign decides the [punishment]".

Ergo, blow me!

VC
Reply 16
Lewisy-boy
Dear Ethereal

You seem to have forgotten that whilst attending my institution, I am King. In the word's of Schmitt:

"He who is sovereign decides the [punishment]".

Ergo, blow me!

VC

Will it get me a first?
Star it, double it, distinction it, whatever!
Ethereal
Dear Vice-Chancellor, I refer you to the univeristy guidance on plagiarism which is actually copied from another university without proper acknowledgment.

No Ethereal address to the real Chancellor. She was fun to talk to at graduation. I still cannot get over the speech about waste from the Vice.
Reply 19
LauraWalker
No Ethereal address to the real Chancellor. She was fun to talk to at graduation.

I wouldn't know. She didn't talk to us lowely upper seconds :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending