Can I do a History PCGE/PGDipEd with a American and Canadian Studies degree?

Watch
edwardseo07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey, I'm planning to apply for a PGDipEd/PGCE in History with 2016 entry, and I want to make sure that I can make my application as strong as possible. Many university websites state that to do a History PGCE/PGDipEd you need a degree with at least 50% History, and although I've taken as many history options as possible on my course (including those involving world and European history) I'm concerned that my application will be snubbed in favour of those that took a straight History degree.

Do people have knowledge of anyone who was able to get onto a History PGCE/PGDipEd course with an American and Canadian Studies degree? If so, was there anything on their application that made them stand out (in a good way) from the other applicants with solely History degrees?
SpenceHarris1589
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by edwardseo07)
Hey, I'm planning to apply for a PGDipEd/PGCE in History with 2016 entry, and I want to make sure that I can make my application as strong as possible. Many university websites state that to do a History PGCE/PGDipEd you need a degree with at least 50% History, and although I've taken as many history options as possible on my course (including those involving world and European history) I'm concerned that my application will be snubbed in favour of those that took a straight History degree.

Do people have knowledge of anyone who was able to get onto a History PGCE/PGDipEd course with an American and Canadian Studies degree? If so, was there anything on their application that made them stand out (in a good way) from the other applicants with solely History degrees?
It is possible I'd assume but you will have to hunt, and not be bothered by geographical location. Take whatever you can get because in all honesty you're gonna struggle. I have friends with history degrees and school experience and still are struggling to get on a course. If you can get some decent school experience, short term for one academic year say, school direct might not be a bad option with a SKE course. The problem you face is history is not really a demand course and is super competitive, only 960 places nation wide this year compared to say English which had 3000+ places or sciences which have even more. Another route could be doing a history masters if you can afford it and then you would be in a much better place.
myrtille
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I think you've got a reasonable chance (unlike the person who asked about getting onto a History PGCE with a Business degree) as clearly your course has a strong History element.

I suggest you:
-Make it very clear in your application which History modules you have studied and how they have developed your interest in History and led to you choosing the course.
-Think of anything else you have done that shows an interest in History. For example, if you are members of a heritage organisation and visit heritage sites. Or in my case, I have volunteered on archaeological digs in the past. It's not necessarily relevant to what you'd be teaching, but it shows a passion for and a commitment to the subject.
-Get as much school experience as possible as this will make you stand out from those who are just coming to the end of a History degree and don't know what to do next.

But as the previous poster has said, History is a very competitive PGCE to get into because History teachers are not in short supply and they get a lot of applicants. So you have to be prepared to not get in the first year you apply. If you really want to do it, I do think it's possible with your degree, you will just have to wait and work for it a bit longer.

If you don't get in for 2016 entry, I suggest looking for work as a Cover Supervisor in a secondary school. You can either do this by applying to schools directly if you see a post advertised, or by signing up with an agency. The agency work would be less reliable, but can be really good in terms of getting experience in a lot of different schools, meaning you get a good idea of where you would and would not like to work, and have contacts that could help you find a job after the PGCE. When reapplying for 2017 entry you would then really stand out from a lot of other candidates. If you've survived working as a cover supervisor then you know a lot more about what secondary teaching involves and therefore you are less likely to drop out part way through the course.
edwardseo07
Rep:
?
(Original post by myrtille)
I think you've got a reasonable chance (unlike the person who asked about getting onto a History PGCE with a Business degree) as clearly your course has a strong History element.

I suggest you:
-Make it very clear in your application which History modules you have studied and how they have developed your interest in History and led to you choosing the course.
-Think of anything else you have done that shows an interest in History. For example, if you are members of a heritage organisation and visit heritage sites. Or in my case, I have volunteered on archaeological digs in the past. It's not necessarily relevant to what you'd be teaching, but it shows a passion for and a commitment to the subject.
-Get as much school experience as possible as this will make you stand out from those who are just coming to the end of a History degree and don't know what to do next.

But as the previous poster has said, History is a very competitive PGCE to get into because History teachers are not in short supply and they get a lot of applicants. So you have to be prepared to not get in the first year you apply. If you really want to do it, I do think it's possible with your degree, you will just have to wait and work for it a bit longer.

If you don't get in for 2016 entry, I suggest looking for work as a Cover Supervisor in a secondary school. You can either do this by applying to schools directly if you see a post advertised, or by signing up with an agency. The agency work would be less reliable, but can be really good in terms of getting experience in a lot of different schools, meaning you get a good idea of where you would and would not like to work, and have contacts that could help you find a job after the PGCE. When reapplying for 2017 entry you would then really stand out from a lot of other candidates. If you've survived working as a cover supervisor then you know a lot more about what secondary teaching involves and therefore you are less likely to drop out part way through the course.
Thanks for this info, I already have 2 and a half weeks at both a primary and secondary school (awaiting a response to get another week or two in September at other schools). I also worked with sixth form students for a university hosted event called The Rosa Parks Experience as well as Open Days and AVDs, do they count as relevant work experience even though I am not in a school setting? I'm applying for volunteer work in Museums and National Trust sites as well for August following your advice, hopefully this will improve my chances! Thanks again for giving me a bit of hope for applying this year!
edwardseo07
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpenceHarris1589)
It is possible I'd assume but you will have to hunt, and not be bothered by geographical location. Take whatever you can get because in all honesty you're gonna struggle. I have friends with history degrees and school experience and still are struggling to get on a course. If you can get some decent school experience, short term for one academic year say, school direct might not be a bad option with a SKE course. The problem you face is history is not really a demand course and is super competitive, only 960 places nation wide this year compared to say English which had 3000+ places or sciences which have even more. Another route could be doing a history masters if you can afford it and then you would be in a much better place.
Thanks for your honest feedback, I know it's going to be a struggle but I'm hopefully going to show my passion for the profession through my varied work experience. Do you know how much work experience (approximately) is on applications from History students? I would not be adverse to doing a history masters but like you said it's an extra expense that I definitely need to consider...
SpenceHarris1589
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for your honest feedback, I know it's going to be a struggle but I'm hopefully going to show my passion for the profession through my varied work experience. Do you know how much work experience (approximately) is on applications from History students? I would not be adverse to doing a history masters but like you said it's an extra expense that I definitely need to consider...
You're definitely welcome! Good passion is good! And well SCITT/SD will want a fair amount of experience, universities usually yeh accept 10 days worth. I mean I've been in a school full time since December and it has prepared me well! So if you can get a job, take a year out and run say history workshops/homework classes/extra tutoring that would go down well! I did a masters and it was very tiring, time consuming and money consuming! So think wisely about your next move! As an example to how competitive history is, my SCITT scheme, there were two places, over 80 applicants. I have a first from Uni of Sheffield and my MRes from Uni of Birmingham and the other girl has a first in History from Uni of Leeds and has been in a school all year too! It is competitive!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (518)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.56%

Watched Threads