Turn on thread page Beta

Nottingham Outsourcing watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham is currently expanding rapidly by opening up new campuses in Malaysia and China. Some of the employers which I've talked to believe Nottingham is already too big of a uni and since they are now outsourcing, the standard in the main UK campus will likely to remain the unchanged while other universities are improving its facilities standards at the same time. Students in the UK will also have to pay for this expansion investment. Employers in asia also believes the uni is less prestigious as many students in asia can now recieve Nottingham education in the asia region without tavellin to the UK. The University of Nottingham states on its website that the students graduating from its asia campuses will recieve a degree of the same standard that a uk student will recieve. The fees in the china campus is also be 1/3 of the fees the students in the uk nottingham have to pay. I'm an international student who have applied to notts and these reasons affects my oppinions about the uni significantly. I really want to hear other ppl's opinions...?

ReputationRep:
    That's the main reason I did not bother applying to Notts. Entry standards in the asia campuses are going to be lower as they do not require traditional A levels. Having said that, there will be a swarm of nottingham graduates
    (mixture of poor and good students) in the near future, employers will be indifferent whether you are an internal or external student. Talking about diluted reputation, it makes the uni less unique. On the good side, it's a great opportunity for students coming from poor income background to reach Notts at a greatly reduced cost. On the whole, its just one whole damn business strategy !!

ReputationRep:
    I know wat u mean...I was faced with the question if I should go to Nottingham. But like the employers said and wat u said...sooner or later, there will be loads of Nott students all over UK and Asia. That will be a serious disadvantage for me as an international student and i have to pay the extra 2/3 fees if I want to study in the UK. I want a good UK higher education as UK has a great rep for its unis anywhere in the world but if I go to Nott, it wont be as prestigious. But I have talked to some UK Nott students and its seems that they really mind about the expansion except the fact that the uni is spendin their fees abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C J)
    I'm an international student who have applied to notts and these reasons affects my oppinions about the uni significantly. I really want to hear other ppl's opinions...?
    Personally, I don't think it will affect UK employers' views of Nottingham, but I can understand how it may affect Chinese and Malaysian employers' views in a negative way.

As other people have said, it does give poorer students from China and Malaysia the chance to study at a 'British' university, even if they can't afford international fees to actually study in the UK.

Another advantage is that students here can opt to take a year in Malaysia as part of their course (I assume this will include China soon if it doesn't already) - obviously other universities do exchange programs, as does Notts, but it means that you're guaranteed to be taking the modules needed to pass your degree. We've recently been told in psychology that if we want to take a year/semester at another university, we can't graduate with an accredited degree. We can only take it as a year out in exceptional circumstances so to go abroad you have to transfer to Human Psychology in a different department for the rest of your degree - if psychology was offered at the Malaysian/Chinese campus then we'd be able to take a year/semester there without having to change degree course.

The campuses aren't complete copies of the main campus - they only offer a few of the courses - and overall I think it's a good idea. It may help to raise the profile of Nottingham in both China and Malaysia if the remote campuses gain a good reputation.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.