The Student Room Group

Ban private schools

AS THE TITLE SUGGESTS. We need these schools banned. The kids at these schools are getting to the top universities and jobs whereas us peasants only make it to average salaries at the most.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jane 201010
AS THE TITLE SUGGESTS. We need these schools banned. The kids at these schools are getting to the top universities and jobs whereas us peasants only make it to average salaries at the most.

Not true. I attend a private day and boarding college and you get what you pay for and it does in no way give you priority entrance to university.
You get what you pay for.

You don't want to pay anything? Then you get absolute ****. (actual figure is 4 000 per 11-18 year old child for a full year education, so it's only logical anyone who pays more gets a better service)

sounds like someone is jealous
So instead of improving the current state schools, you want to abolish the successful private schools?

Brilliant idea.

Jealousy is a wonderful thing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes :frown:

Thats elitism for ya!
But I bet you any student who is equally as talented and motivated and went to crappy schools all his life will be regarded more brighter than that private school student.
okeh

Okay but you do know that universities actually take this into account right? Like if two students have equal academic records but one is in a private school and the other is in a ****ty state school, the university would prefer the one in the state school as they probably wouldn't have had the same amount of help and resources.

This is coming from an ex-private school student. But tbh as the people above have stated, you DO get what you pay for. The difference between state and private school is really big, my parents saw that and spent most of their salaries on the school and it paid off.

-11/10
There's an ability distribution between private schools and the box-standard comp because most private schools require entrance exams so, from the very start, are selecting "brighter" children. However, I think this has only a small impact.

The fact of the matter is that children who attend private schools will come from homes where there is more of a focus on education and, as a direct result of everything that comes with this, more children from these schools are going to go onto the best universities. Besides, the gap between the best state schools and the worst is just as big a problem. If you banned private schools then the state schools in good areas would just replace them in all but name, and fees, and you would have the same problems.

It isn't a case that private schools are bad and state schools good - private schools are excellent, on the whole, and the reality is that they're much superior in many ways. Comprehensive schools should be studying their example to give pupils the same advantages that those at private school enjoy. We need to increase opportunity for those in the state schools and bring them up to line with the private and top state schools, not attack those which are working as they should be.
Original post by SotonianOne
You get what you pay for.

You don't want to pay anything? Then you get absolute ****. (actual figure is 4 000 per 11-18 year old child for a full year education, so it's only logical anyone who pays more gets a better service)

sounds like someone is jealous

Equality of education is fundamental in a fair society and it's to our great disadvantage otherwise with the best talent not being given the same opportunity to succeed. In other words, it shouldn't be the case that those who can't afford to pay should be at a disadvantage as your post suggests.
How about no.
Yes ban them, they get a clear and statistically proven advantage over public schools when applying to oxbridge. Very unfair.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jshep000
Yes ban them, they get a clear and statistically proven advantage over public schools when applying to oxbridge. Very unfair.

It must be remembered that public schools, in the UK, means the most exclusive and prestigious private schools which are almost exclusively boarding and not state schools. Just to put that out there.
Reply 14
Original post by Dylank96
There's an ability distribution between private schools and the box-standard comp because most private schools require entrance exams so, from the very start, are selecting "brighter" children. However, I think this has only a small impact.

The fact of the matter is that children who attend private schools will come from homes where there is more of a focus on education and, as a direct result of everything that comes with this, more children from these schools are going to go onto the best universities. Besides, the gap between the best state schools and the worst is just as big a problem. If you banned private schools then the state schools in good areas would just replace them in all but name, and fees, and you would have the same problems.

It isn't a case that private schools are bad and state schools good - private schools are excellent, on the whole, and the reality is that they're much superior in many ways. Comprehensive schools should be studying their example to give pupils the same advantages that those at private school enjoy. We need to increase opportunity for those in the state schools and bring them up to line with the private and top state schools, not attack those which are working as they should be.

take it you went to a private school?
[video="youtube;4010FoPTdq0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4010FoPTdq0[/video]
Original post by anj4845
take it you went to a private school?

Pfft, my school was the "coolest school in Scotland", apparently. :u:
Original post by gagafacea1
Okay but you do know that universities actually take this into account right? Like if two students have equal academic records but one is in a private school and the other is in a ****ty state school, the university would prefer the one in the state school as they probably wouldn't have had the same amount of help and resources.

This is coming from an ex-private school student. But tbh as the people above have stated, you DO get what you pay for. The difference between state and private school is really big, my parents saw that and spent most of their salaries on the school and it paid off.

This post is failing to take into account that if state pupils attended private schools they would be likely to achieve much higher grades, attending private school puts you at a disadvantage over those who have achieved the same grades as you at state school but an advantage over those who have achieved worse grades than you at state who could have achieved the same or better grades than you at private school.
Reply 17
Original post by Dylank96
[video="youtube;4010FoPTdq0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4010FoPTdq0[/video]

Pfft, my school was the "coolest school in Scotland", apparently. :u:

Yep the type of school i though from your pretentious manner of speaking
Original post by Dalek1099
This post is failing to take into account that if state pupils attended private schools they would be likely to achieve much higher grades, attending private school puts you at a disadvantage over those who have achieved the same grades as you at state school but an advantage over those who have achieved worse grades than you at state who could have achieved the same or better grades than you at private school.

Yeah so?? That advantage is paid for, and therefore deserved. Not some kids fault that their parents have more money than mine.
Original post by anj4845
Yep the type of school i though from your pretentious manner of speaking

Judgmental much?

Quick Reply

Latest