The Student Room Group

Ban private schools

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jane 201010
We need these schools banned.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the most obvious reason why you are wrong. It is nothing to do with fairness, or with equality of opportunity.

The fact is that if all private school pupils were educated in the state sector, the same state education budget would have to stretch to an extra 12% or so of pupils, which would stress the system (including the buildings and staff) beyond its ability to cope and reduce the ability of the state to educate pupils to below where it is now. Thousands of teachers and administrators would be made jobless so the tax take would reduce too.

What a brainless idea!
Original post by Good bloke
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the most obvious reason why you are wrong. It is nothing to do with fairness, or with equality of opportunity.

The fact is that if all private school pupils were educated in the state sector, the same state education budget would have to stretch to an extra 12% or so of pupils, which would stress the system (including the buildings and staff) beyond its ability to cope and reduce the ability of the state to educate pupils to below where it is now. Thousands of teachers and administrators would be made jobless so the tax take would reduce too.

What a brainless idea!

The whole system needs to change.
Original post by lascelles
There are lots of them left, you just have to live in the right place.

Exactly.
Original post by Paladian
if you don't start nothing then there won't be nothing.

What? If you start something there will be something?
Original post by xLittleMissyx
What? If you start something there will be something?

Too late.
The teachers are not of the same class in a state school you don't get oxbridge qualified teachers at run down state schools or at least you didn't at mine.

That isn't true at all.

The main difference between private and state schools is the attitude of the parents and consequently the children. In the former everybody wants to learn and benefit from education; parents want value for money, discipline is relatively high and disruption is absolutely not tolerated. In the latter a sizeable minority don't want to be there and make things worse for those that do.

That is the main reason private schools do better than state schools. A secondary reason is that teachers are less infected by silly modern dogmatic teaching ideas that don't work, driven by the unions

If you want to improve your school, make sure classroom discipline is good.
Where do Private School kids go uni wise? it must be a massive waste to go anywhere out of the top 5 since they spent like 300k on their education lol
That isn't true at all.

The main difference between private and state schools is the attitude of the parents and consequently the children. In the former everybody wants to learn and benefit from education; parents want value for money, discipline is relatively high and disruption is absolutely not tolerated. In the latter a sizeable minority don't want to be there and make things worse for those that do.

That is the main reason private schools do better than state schools. A secondary reason is that teachers are less infected by silly modern dogmatic teaching ideas that don't work, driven by the unions

If you want to improve your school, make sure classroom discipline is good.

Sorry about that, I was that undesirable element, despite being a high achiever I messed about at school and was thrown out to give everyone else a chance at gcse. my only excuse is I am schizophrenic no one knew that at the time.
Original post by Jane 201010
AS THE TITLE SUGGESTS. We need these schools banned. The kids at these schools are getting to the top universities and jobs whereas us peasants only make it to average salaries at the most.

That is definitely not true. I go to a private school, and there are many children who do not even go to university at all. Yes, there are some students that do very well, but there are also children who get no higher than a B/C.
Original post by Dizgurl
That is definitely not true. I go to a private school, and there are many children who do not even go to university at all. Yes, there are some students that do very well, but there are also children who get no higher than a B/C.

This is true and a direct result of an efette decadent dissipating bourgeois ideal.
You get what you pay for - connections and prestige.
Original post by cole-slaw
You get what you pay for - connections and prestige.

There is a school near where I live where you pay NOTHING, and some people have even got into Oxford, and UCL. There are also some private schools which are literally failing according to Ofsted reports.
Original post by Dizgurl
There is a school near where I live where you pay NOTHING, and some people have even got into Oxford, and UCL. There are also some private schools which are literally failing according to Ofsted reports.

and the pupils at the 2nd group are approximately 100 times more likely to be a future Conservative prime minister.

Because its not what you know that counts, its where you went to school.
and the pupils at the 2nd group are approximately 100 times more likely to be a future Conservative prime minister.

I second that

So, you want to be a conservative prime minister or something?
Reply 75

What a brainless idea!

Excellent point!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The teachers are not of the same class in a state school you don't get oxbridge qualified teachers at run down state schools or at least you didn't at mine.

oxbridge qualified means nothing, a better university does not mean a better teacher at all. You could argue they have a better degree, but considering they are teaching far below degree level, any degree would give them this knowledge.

If you mean they can give you knowledge on how to get in, then maybe, but not much more than online research would, or an independent adviser - which was offered at my school for anyone who wanted to try to get into oxbridge.
Reply 77
Original post by AverageExcellence
Where do Private School kids go uni wise? it must be a massive waste to go anywhere out of the top 5 since they spent like 300k on their education lol

It's not always just about that... In some deprived areas, the state schools are miserable places to be. Private schools can offer a well-rounded education in terms of sport and academia and a lot of parents are prepared to make sacrifices so that their children can be happy at school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Feeebz
It's not always just about that... In some deprived areas, the state schools are miserable places to be. Private schools can offer a well-rounded education in terms of sport and academia and a lot of parents are prepared to make sacrifices so that their children can be happy at school

Posted from TSR Mobile

deprived areas are just that deprived of jobs and the people there can't afford to send their kids to private schools. can they?
deprived areas are just that deprived of jobs and the people there can't afford to send their kids to private schools. can they?

Ran out of reps :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending