The Student Room Group

Top Russell Group Unis announce 2,500 courses with spare places

14 out of 24 Russell Group unis have announced places on 2,500 courses today which is also IB results day. You can find them here

The University of Birmingham, Leeds, Bristol, Sheffield and Liverpool are now advertising places.

EDIT: Southampton, KCL, QMUL, York, Leeds, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Newcastle, Queen's University Belfast are also on the list.

The new search via UCAS will be available until 27th July before it closes and reopens for Scottish results on 3rd August and then again on August 12th.

With the cap being lifted this year more places than ever before are available, although it won't be known exactly what is up for keeps until A-level results day.

Have you checked out the Clearing listings yet?

You can find out everything you need to know about coping with Clearing in our Results 2015 advice hub.

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't know how this system works!For Economics,it shows University of Nottingham and Bristol!
Original post by Skill Twix
I don't know how this system works!For Economics,it shows University of Nottingham and Bristol!

Yes - I've double checked - both are in Clearing for Economics at the moment and a ton of others.
Original post by Raymat
I'm surprised to see Bristol on there. What are the other 9?

They haven't specified in the Telegraph...

I've noticed Southampton, KCL, QMUL, York, Leeds, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Newcastle, Queen's University Belfast...

That's the full set :five:
(edited 8 years ago)
Woot woot, my course isn't in there. It mustn't be **** then.
so are the entry requirements any different?
Original post by Smug Life

It doesn't say on the site. Go to the clearing thread to find out what people's offers are. I know for some of the in-demand they won't change all that much.
Original post by Smug Life

Check Connect too http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect :smile:
This news is great for students as it can give some an awesome opportunity to go to universities that they previously thought they might not get into. :smile:

Also, thought it was time for a clean up so some users will notice that their posts are gone. As She-Ra said, let's keep this place constructive and on topic! :biggrin:
The thing I don't understand is, if it really costs significantly more than £9000 p.a. to teach an undergraduate (hence all of the pressure to raise university fees), why are universities trying to maximise the number of pupils enrolling? Surely it'd be in their interest to cut places rather than increase them?
Is manchester there
Original post by golden tribe
Is manchester there

Not at the moment but that doesn't mean they won't join later. Manchester was in Clearing last year.
Original post by Plagioclase
The thing I don't understand is, if it really costs significantly more than £9000 p.a. to teach an undergraduate (hence all of the pressure to raise university fees), why are universities trying to maximise the number of pupils enrolling? Surely it'd be in their interest to cut places rather than increase them?

Economie of scale. Removing the student cap means some universities are trying to ram in as many students as possible to they can spend your loans on more prestige buildings and expensive landscaping to attract even more students.
Original post by Quantex
Economie of scale. Removing the student cap means some universities are trying to ram in as many students as possible to they can spend your loans on more prestige buildings and expensive landscaping to attract even more students.

So they're not making a loss?

Unis aren't out of pocket its the government, they make up the differences and hand out the loans
Reply 15
Original post by Quantex

Something tells me that most universities will be running into diseconomies of scale at this point...
i've just had a look and found that my course at Aston is on there. Does that mean i've got an increased/decreased chance of getting in? because if they're in clearing maybe they're looking for more people because they've rejected me because i know i've done **** but on the other hand surely if theres places they'll accept people with grades that didnt meet the requirements because i've firmed them?

someone help
Original post by She-Ra
Yes - I've double checked - both are in Clearing for Economics at the moment and a ton of others.

Those are A*AA courses(both Nottingham and Bristol).
The course is BSC Economics.
So what do they require then?
So they're not making a loss?

Essay based subjects break even around that point i think, the rich universities can afford it anyway and it's the government that funds them. More places also means more fee paying immigrants.
Reply 19
I'm kind of glad that my course isn't on there but at the same time just because a course is in clearing doesn't mean that it's any easier to get into, I remember when I was first looking to apply Durham had been quite popular in clearing but I had been warned that Durham's policy was to only accept those above their entry requirements. Not sure to what extent this is true but it did come from my head of year who had been teaching for a number of years and was quite into academia so I think he's quite a reputable source.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending