The Student Room Group

Top Russell Group Unis announce 2,500 courses with spare places

Scroll to see replies

Original post by callum_law
Law is very hierarchical. I can empathise with the poster's position.

I concur that law as a career is very hierarchical but the data backs up that Bristol is a good choice for anyone hoping to get a TC after graduation http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf
Reply 281
Has anyone noticed on the ucas search tool that there is now no box to tick for courses "available in clearing" option? How am I meant to look for courses available in clearing?!
Original post by mooo
Has anyone noticed on the ucas search tool that there is now no box to tick for courses "available in clearing" option? How am I meant to look for courses available in clearing?!

Track is on lockdown until 3rd August, as it is being updated ahead of Scottish results day. It will reopen with many additions after that.
Original post by mooo

Go to university websites. There are links in a stickied thread in this forum
Original post by Plagioclase
So they're not making a loss?

They aren't making a loss on teaching, they are making a loss on research.

On publicly-funded teaching they pretty much break even, with a small surplus. They make a profit on non publicly-funded teaching (eg overseas students). However they make a significant loss on research, and for the more established and prestigious universities especially, research is what they exist to do. The whole reason a university gets a big reputation is for the quality of its research. The more they want to stay at the cutting edge of research the more they have to keep investing, upgrading their kit, undertaking blue skies speculative research etc and this is generally a loss-making activity. So they need to generate income elsewhere.

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/media/HEFCE,2014/Content/Pubs/2015/201507/HEFCE2015_07.pdf

hi everyone! i checked on the telegragh clearing list around 3-4 weeks ago and I found that Liverpool Uni - Psychology was listed (YAY)... however, i checked back today and yesterday.. it has now gone?

What does this mean? I noticed that alot of courses had also been removed

thank you
Original post by sarahshefflaw
Sheffield is a great Russell Group uni for Law! The facilities and teaching are excellent; we have our own building, which includes a Moot Court that was funded by Slaughter and May (just one of the firms that likes a Sheffield law degree). Another unique point about Sheffield is that every student is taught by every lecturer at some point in your three years, meaning you benefit from the vast range of expertise and research. You really can pursue any area of interest to the highest level. The University itself has so many opportunities, with our #1 SU, huge range of societies, and excellent careers service, so every graduate is well-rounded and experienced - which many employers appreciate.

Definitely one to look into if you are interested! Check out our website :smile: You would be more than welcome to attend one of our open days if you were interested in finding out more!

They're gonna want AAA I am sure!
Original post by sarahshefflaw
Sheffield is a great Russell Group uni for Law! The facilities and teaching are excellent; we have our own building, which includes a Moot Court that was funded by Slaughter and May (just one of the firms that likes a Sheffield law degree). Another unique point about Sheffield is that every student is taught by every lecturer at some point in your three years, meaning you benefit from the vast range of expertise and research. You really can pursue any area of interest to the highest level. The University itself has so many opportunities, with our #1 SU, huge range of societies, and excellent careers service, so every graduate is well-rounded and experienced - which many employers appreciate.

Definitely one to look into if you are interested! Check out our website :smile: You would be more than welcome to attend one of our open days if you were interested in finding out more!

Are you on commission? That's quite the sales pitch!
Original post by callum_law
Are you on commission? That's quite the sales pitch!

I wish, Callum, I wish! I shall pass on your comment to the University :wink:
Original post by xxvine
They're gonna want AAA I am sure!

I have heard that there is a little wiggle room depending on circumstances - and particularly if you put them as your firm choice!
Was Loughborough in clearing?
Original post by SanAndreasfault
Was Loughborough in clearing?

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What courses went into clearing at Loughborough university last year? I doubt economics or accounting and finance will be in clearing at Loughborough this year
Original post by SanAndreasfault
What courses went into clearing at Loughborough university last year? I doubt economics or accounting and finance will be in clearing at Loughborough this year

The only way to find out is to go to a library and look at last year's Daily Telegraph supplement for results day.

As for this year, it could be similar or different. Not even Loughborough know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
The only way to find out is to go to a library and look at last year's Daily Telegraph supplement for results day.

Actually it isn't. The Leicester Mercury clearing lists 2015 for Leicester, DMU and Loughborough are still available online.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/level-results-day-2015-Clearing-courses-available/story-27600744-detail/story.html
Original post by nulli tertius
Actually it isn't. The Leicester Mercury clearing lists 2015 for Leicester, DMU and Loughborough are still available online.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/level-results-day-2015-Clearing-courses-available/story-27600744-detail/story.html

You learn something every day!

@SanAndreasfault
Anybody know the types of courses that went into clearing last year at Uni of Manchester, Liverpool. Also Newcastle University?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending