The Student Room Group

Got a letter from student loans, need advice

Bare with me, because this all needs explaining.

So I started uni in September, applied for student finance pretty late, by the time I received any correspondence from SFE it was November.

SFE we willing to pay my maintenance loan, but not my tuition fee loan..

Long story short, I got kicked off the course and the uni kept calling, emailing, and sending letters saying that I owe them 9 grand.

I got into a right state of depression over this, and went to the doctors a couple of months ago, they prescribed me 20mg of citalopram which I've been taking since.

Today I received a letter from Student Loans saying that:

"We have been informed that you are no longer in attendance on your course from your University or College. We are therefor required to stop certain elements of your Student Finance payments. The payments that will be stopped are stated below (if you were entitled to receive any or all of them):

Maintenance Loan
Tuition Fee loan

Previous payments may have to be repaid, if this is the case we will notify you separately."

I went to uni in the hopes of getting a qualification and getting a good job, but it now seems I'm in a lot of debt.

I don't want my depression to come back, because it really took its toll last time.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks.
Reply 1
If you are thrown out, you are no longer a student. Any Student Finance you get for the period after the date you were removed from the course, has to be repaid to Student Finance.

As SF have not paid your tuition fees, you will owe that money direct to the uni. The proportion of your fees that you owe, will increase as you go through the academic year. If you were thrown out of uni after the threshold date, you will owe the entire year's tuition fees - even if you weren't there for the entire year.

The good news (such as it is) will be that both SF and the uni are likely to agree minimal repayments, if you are in a poor financial situation. Maybe as little as £20 a month. They'd rather get some money, than none at all.

Obviously you've been through the mill with SF, but do you understand why they refused to give you a Tuition Fee Loan? I don't understand how you could be eligible for maintenance payments but not Tuition Fees.

Quick Reply

Latest