The Student Room Group

I don't want to work, help needed!

Scroll to see replies

Join my Kingdom. I pay you no wages, make you work in the sweltering heat for 16+ hours. At the end of the day you sleep on glass, and if you're hungry you must fight with others for so much as a sliver of pig poo. It is a lifelong contract (999,999,999 years long), and you are bound by it. Should you decide to have a 'holiday' (ugh), or a picnic with your significant other and children, you shall find yourself tar and feathered for making a mokcery of the sacred lifelong contract. Oh, and in addition to this brilliant opportunity, there are infinite placements and no need for qualifications beyond having an arm and two legs. You can be disabled in any other manner, and still get the job! Quite generous if I do say so myself! There's no lack of opportunity here!

I can already sense your excitement. Be calm, young one. Just sign below.
"want" doesn't come into it. You are a man now. Do.
Reply 42
Original post by NextGenKing
Join my Kingdom. I pay you no wages, make you work in the sweltering heat for 16+ hours. At the end of the day you sleep on glass, and if you're hungry you must fight with others for so much as a sliver of pig poo. It is a lifelong contract (999,999,999 years long), and you are bound by it. Should you decide to have a 'holiday' (ugh), or a picnic with your significant other and children, you shall find yourself tar and feathered for making a mokcery of the sacred lifelong contract. Oh, and in addition to this brilliant opportunity, there are infinite placements and no need for qualifications beyond having an arm and two legs. You can be disabled in any other manner, and still get the job! Quite generous if I do say so myself! There's no lack of opportunity here!

I'll be honest, I have no idea what you are talking about xD
Reply 43
Original post by KingStannis
"want" doesn't come into it. You are a man now. Do.

Alright that was a pretty dope post, but I thought Brienne killed you?
Reply 44

An arm? Do you cut the other one of for insurance?
Original post by shrimpymo
Alright that was a pretty dope post, but I thought Brienne killed you?

Nah I don't think so.
Original post by whorace
An arm? Do you cut the other one of for insurance?

Usually, though exceptions can be made if you are particularly good at using both.
I'll be honest, I have no idea what you are talking about xD

I'll give you a serious response since you didn't get offended by my post. I'm actually in a similar position (though I'm not certain if I've failed yet, and I doubt think I have, but you never know). I'll say that you should find something you're passionate about and work on it, to make a living out of it. Pursue your dreams as some would say, but at the same time, understand the reality that you need food. It also depends on your parents, but from the tone of this post, I'm assuming there's a reason you think you'd need to work, and you're not able to lounge around off the silver spoon.

I'm sure there's been better advice, but I'm in a similar position and this is what I'm doing. I like writing, and so I'm writing a book, hoping to get into University and get published sometime along the way. I'm willing to work part/full time if it means I can do what I love the rest of the time, but not just do it, actually work to make my dream a reality. Most people give up on that last part. :smile:
Reply 48
I'll give you a serious response since you didn't get offended by my post. I'm actually in a similar position (though I'm not certain if I've failed yet, and I doubt think I have, but you never know). I'll say that you should find something you're passionate about and work on it, to make a living out of it. Pursue your dreams as some would say, but at the same time, understand the reality that you need food. It also depends on your parents, but from the tone of this post, I'm assuming there's a reason you think you'd need to work, and you're not able to lounge around off the silver spoon.

I'm sure there's been better advice, but I'm in a similar position and this is what I'm doing. I like writing, and so I'm writing a book, hoping to get into University and get published sometime along the way. I'm willing to work part/full time if it means I can do what I love the rest of the time, but not just do it, actually work to make my dream a reality. Most people give up on that last part. :smile:

Thanks for the advice, and good luck with the book!
I agree.

Society is out of control and too overwhelming, and modern technology is to blame.

Why work 40 hours a week so you just watch TV and play video games
Power to you. I think people are too quick to resent those who are willing to think outside the box in terms of how they live their life.

I don't know how to recommend you reach your goals but fair play to you and don't stop thinking creatively.

I find it hard to stick at s..t min wage jobs and I've had people berate me for it but I think "if you want to give an hour of your valuable time to a bunch of ... in exchange for the cost of what youre willing to pay for a sandwich then thats your perogative".

Genuinely wishing you the best of luck with it.

I recently turned 18 and have pretty much failed my A-Levels. I hate school but love to learn, I just prefer it at my own pace and whatever I want (I have a bit of a butterfly brain which is both a good and a bad thing). I am now going into full time employment, but I just don't want to. I don't see why I should spend my entire life slaving away at some company to make someone else's dreams come true. After all, I want to live my life, not someone else's. As well as this, I seem to have had the luck of parents who literally only care about grades and bring up how I could've been really successful at uni every day out of spite. The only thing that seems to interest me is travelling, and this is something I see myself doing for the rest of my life.

TLDR: I hate society and it's pressures and need a way out permanently.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 51
Hey shrimpymo,

I know what you are feeling! I told my parents the same about 2 years ago when I said I didn't want a job. All because they work so hard and I never had time to spent with them... They thought I was crazy. I carried on anyway and for a while they didn't support me...

One thing people don't realise is we are in the information age, not the industrial age anymore. A degree is almost useless (I am studying one btw - parents)

if you could do something, what would it be?
Reply 52
Original post by gmatos
Hey shrimpymo,

I know what you are feeling! I told my parents the same about 2 years ago when I said I didn't want a job. All because they work so hard and I never had time to spent with them... They thought I was crazy. I carried on anyway and for a while they didn't support me...

One thing people don't realise is we are in the information age, not the industrial age anymore. A degree is almost useless (I am studying one btw - parents)

if you could do something, what would it be?

I would travel everywhere. Current research suggests that there are millions of planets in the universe, so why wouldn't I take the time to learn about the one I call home?
Reply 53
Original post by democracyforum
I agree.

Society is out of control and too overwhelming, and modern technology is to blame.

Why work 40 hours a week so you just watch TV and play video games

Screw modern society, it's pretty boring.
Reply 54
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Power to you. I think people are too quick to resent those who are willing to think outside the box in terms of how they live their life.

I don't know how to recommend you reach your goals but fair play to you and don't stop thinking creatively.

I find it hard to stick at s..t min wage jobs and I've had people berate me for it but I think "if you want to give an hour of your valuable time to a bunch of ... in exchange for the cost of what youre willing to pay for a sandwich then thats your perogative".

Genuinely wishing you the best of luck with it.

Thankyou, I'll take your kind words with me.
Reply 55
Have you ever tried working for yourself? doing something that you imagine yourself learning like something that could allow you to travel the word and explore (that is what I understand you want to do)
Reply 56
Original post by gmatos
Have you ever tried working for yourself? doing something that you imagine yourself learning like something that could allow you to travel the word and explore (that is what I understand you want to do)

Yeah, that would be cool :smile:
Reply 57
The reason why I say that is because I was in the same place two years ago and I know how it feel working in a job where people are lame and your boss expects everything with little in return... No, whilst at university I also work for myself online and that means when I finish next year I can go travel and be free and not have to worry about my job because I have it with me and I also don't have to worry about income. pm me if you want to have a more in depth chat, and maybe a can help you in any area you may be struggling
(edited 8 years ago)
I haven't got the time at the moment to go into all the philosophical angles of the issue (because they are numerous and complex) but, briefly, there are merits to both sides of the argument. On the one hand, life's always been tough and you sometimes have to suck it up and do things you don't necessarily want to do to make a living. On the other hand, it wouldn't hurt if more companies and employers were a bit more humanistic about things and made more effort to actually keep their employees somewhat fulfilled in their jobs...

Practical advice is go out and try jobs. At least you'll have some idea then of what it is you don't like and why! Another (potentially) tough factor is that the less encumbered you are (by spouse/kids/mortgage etc.), the easier it is to change direction, try new things, travel around etc.
Honestly, it scares me to

Work 40 hours in an office,
live on tesco sandwiches,
gossip about the football,
the neighbours, the weather,
go out drinking on the weekend.

It does not appeal to me at all.

I may not go into work, maybe charity work or commune work, at least I would be happy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending