Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm choosing accommodation for my first year at Lancaster (Hopefully I get in) and I don't know which college to choose. I like music, football, and will be studying 'IT for Creative industries'. I'm don't like going out and getting wasted every night but I definitely want to go out and meet new people so I don't want to be somewhere full of people who don't. Like are all the colleges kind of similar, are there some which are known for being crazier than others haha or do they all have a mixture of people?

Thanks
GABates
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 7277)
I'm choosing accommodation for my first year at Lancaster (Hopefully I get in) and I don't know which college to choose. I like music, football, and will be studying 'IT for Creative industries'. I'm don't like going out and getting wasted every night but I definitely want to go out and meet new people so I don't want to be somewhere full of people who don't. Like are all the colleges kind of similar, are there some which are known for being crazier than others haha or do they all have a mixture of people?

Thanks
Furness College has the highest rating here - if you scroll through the list on the left of the page you kind of get a feel for what the different colleges are like from a student perspective!
ahallwood96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the only difference between colleges that you have to worry about is accomodation and location
stick to colleges that are close to the centre if you dont want to walk that far to lectures.
decide your accom' budget and what sort of room you want.
recommendations:
county college -- townhouse
grizedale college -- townhouse
NOT cartmel if you are not a morning person.
regarding 'going out and getting wasted all night'.. the choice will not be made for you by your college. but i urge you to make use of your first year (which wont count)
have fun and try not waste time by not going out and meeting new people.
good luck
Itschaz13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do NOT choose Cartmel. Don't get me wrong the place is beautiful and the JCR are good (personally i think they're the underdog) however. The people who are ACTUALLY in charge - the older adults - are very unhelpful. I was in the college from 2014-2015 and they charged not only me but at least 10 others i know £99 for a stain that was created before we arrived at the accommodation. And this is just the people that i have heard from. I have tried to argue may way to get my money back but they do not listen. So in my opinion, if you want to have all your money back safely at the end of the year then choose a different college that you can trust
eimmas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Each college does its best to offer opportunities that cater to students who do and do not have interests in drinking based socials, and LUSU like to make a point of encouraging this. Whilst alcohol does form a big part of 'student culture', don't worry too much!

I'm a member of Furness College JCR, and we've tried to accommodate students who do and don't drink in the socials that we hold. (Granted, we have the 15 Hour Bar Crawl, but that's just one of multiple socials that happen throughout the year.) I can't speak from a massive amount of experience regarding other colleges, but in Furness we've had socials such as our 'Arcade' night, where we had a PS3 set up in the JCR room for a FIFA tournament, plus a Wii and arcade machine set up in the TV room for more gaming. Other colleges, like Bowland and County, offer live music nights on a regular basis in their college bars, but there is absolutely no obligation to drink.

The big thing to consider when choosing accommodation is primarily location and cost. As campus accommodation gets more and more expensive each year, it's important to consider what's affordable for you. Location-wise, if you'd prefer to be near the centre of campus then Bowland and Furness probably offer the most central accommodation of all the colleges - but Lancaster's campus isn't exactly massive, so no matter where you live it's not normally more than 10 minutes to walk somewhere.

Considering you're studying IT For Creative Industries, you may find that you want to be located nearer to the Engineering building with the computer labs, as I assume a lot of seminars/tutorials will be based there (heavy emphasis on assuming - I'm a maths student, so I don't know this for certain).

Beyond that, the colleges are all similar in that they offer socials and facilities on campus for you to use. A lot of the collegiate system is about what you put into it - at the end of the day, if you don't get involved in your college then you're not going to get the full experience of what it offers you at your time at Lancaster!
stevey396
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're not too keen on partying and noise I there's a tick-box on the online application that lets you ops for a "quieter" building, although this was when I applied a few years ago so it might not still be there.

I know some people who applied for quieter accommodation complained as it consisted mainly of international students, but in my opinion meeting students from other countries and cultures is one of the most valuable parts of the university experience so it definitely should not be taken as a negative thing.
Yellow2914
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ahallwood96)
the only difference between colleges that you have to worry about is accomodation and location
stick to colleges that are close to the centre if you dont want to walk that far to lectures.
decide your accom' budget and what sort of room you want.
recommendations:
county college -- townhouse
grizedale college -- townhouse
NOT cartmel if you are not a morning person.
regarding 'going out and getting wasted all night'.. the choice will not be made for you by your college. but i urge you to make use of your first year (which wont count)
have fun and try not waste time by not going out and meeting new people.
good luck
Hey,

I ended up with Cartmel college, not through choice, I did not mind but after reading a lot on the internet, I am starting too.

Can you just explain why Cartmel is bad?

Many thanks
eimmas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yellow636)
Hey,

I ended up with Cartmel college, not through choice, I did not mind but after reading a lot on the internet, I am starting too.

Many thanks
Cartmel isn't a bad college at all (as much as that should pain me to say, being a member of Furness, who is rivals with Cartmel). The biggest issue people have with Cartmel is that it's not as central as most of the other colleges on campus, so involves a little bit of extra time to walk to lectures or to the Underpass to catch buses - though nowhere on campus is that far to walk, as it's not exactly a massive campus. There are bus stops scattered all around campus, so the walk up to Alexandra Square to catch the bus isn't exactly a big issue if you learn the times the buses go around the rest of campus, because then you can just head to the nearest bus stop

A lot of the college experience is based upon what you actually put in to the experience - if you get involved and make friends in the college then you'll have a great time, no matter what college you're in. There's nothing stopping you from using any of the other college's facilities on campus, such as their bars and JCR rooms, so you shouldn't feel limited by the college you're in.
ahallwood96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yellow636)
Hey,

Many thanks
Its just distance. You have to wake up earlier than the rest of us, but in terms of Fresher experience, really nothing changes! Cartmels distance is a bit of a running joke with the rest of the uni.. But everyone will have friends from Cartmel and they all seem to be having just as much fun everyone else.. dont worry about it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (181)
61.77%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
4.1%
No- I want it (78)
26.62%
No- I don't want it (22)
7.51%

Watched Threads