This discussion is closed.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
B819 - Education Reform (Wales) Bill 2015, TSR Government

Education Reform (Wales) Bill 2015
An Act to return education powers to Westminster and encourage bilingual schools

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most excellent Majesty,in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: Transfer of Powers
(1) Powers over education previously devolved to the National Assembly for Wales shall be returned to the UK Government.

2: Language of Education
(1) Every child has the right to be schooled in either the English or Welsh language, according to the wishes of their parents.
(2) Local education authorities (LEAs) are responsible for providing suitable nursery, primary and secondary education in the preferred language as close to the child’s home as possible.
(3) Secondary pupils being educated in English and Welsh should be educated in the same, bilingual, schools.a. Where demand for either language is not sufficient to justify all schools in an area being bilingual, the Secretary of State may grant an exception.
(4) Primary pupils being educated in English and Welsh should be educated in the same, bilingual, schools where possible.a. If the LEA cannot make all of its primary schools bilingual cost-effectively, some may be made monolingual in either English or Welsh.

3: Use of an “English Not”
(1) All pupils have the fundamental right to converse in either English or Welsh, as per their choice.
(2) It is illegal for a school to impose a ban, or any other system of rewards or punishments, for the speaking of English or Welsh outside of a language lesson.

4: Commencement, Short Title and Extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Education Reform Act 2015.
(2) This Act shall extend to Wales; and
(3) Shall come into force on 1st September 2016.

Notes
This bill completes another part of the Government’s plan for devolution, by transferring education powers from the Welsh Assembly to Westminster. This is due to the Welsh education system lagging considerably behind the other parts of the UK in international comparisons.

This would also provide all children in Wales the right to be educated in either English or Welsh. Currently children only have the right to be educated through the medium of Welsh, and whilst one would assume that the right to be educated in English also exists, this is not the case: Gwynedd is one LEA which has made Welsh-medium education compulsory.

The bill also moves towards the use of bilingual schools wherever possible, to ensure communities are not divided by the use of separate Welsh- and English-medium schools, and to make a bilingual environment a natural thing.

Finally, the use of an “English Not”, which is prevalent in Welsh-medium schools, is outlawed.
Wellzi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay. English should be the main language in all UK schools, and Welsh should be optional. Though I do think that the Welsh Assembly is completely incompetent in almost everything they do, so Westminster should take back control of Welsh education, but I can't approve of a bill allowing Welsh to be the main language in schools,
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay. Why do the Welsh have this absurd necromancy with an incomprehensible and long-forgotten language? It is certainly not necessary to teach solely in the language; not enough people speak better welsh than english. I don't have the evidence but it's obvious.
alexgr97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why can't we encourage bilingual schools using a language that will actually serve young people for the future - French, Spanish, Chinese, Arabic etc. etc. instead of a language spoken by an ever decreasing population. Sure, if a school wants to teach it, go ahead, but to "encourage" them to the point at which it seems forced seems to me to be restricting the choice in curricula that separates schools. What benefit would this bill therefore have? A few more kids that can speak Welsh? Great. Not sure how this would pull up the "lagging" Welsh education system.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay, just because the chair and leader of labour hate Wales doesn't mean we should do this.
As I recal 50% of the Welsh want the current level of devo to remain. I will not support the government in ignoring the democratic voice of wales
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wellzi)
Nay. English should be the main language in all UK schools, and Welsh should be optional. Though I do think that the Welsh Assembly is completely incompetent in almost everything they do, so Westminster should take back control of Welsh education, but I can't approve of a bill allowing Welsh to be the main language in schools,
(Original post by thehistorybore)
Nay. Why do the Welsh have this absurd necromancy with an incomprehensible and long-forgotten language? It is certainly not necessary to teach solely in the language; not enough people speak better welsh than english. I don't have the evidence but it's obvious.
(Original post by alexgr97)
Why can't we encourage bilingual schools using a language that will actually serve young people for the future - French, Spanish, Chinese, Arabic etc. etc. instead of a language spoken by an ever decreasing population. Sure, if a school wants to teach it, go ahead, but to "encourage" them to the point at which it seems forced seems to me to be restricting the choice in curricula that separates schools. What benefit would this bill therefore have? A few more kids that can speak Welsh? Great. Not sure how this would pull up the "lagging" Welsh education system.
You do realise that this is the status quo right?
United1892
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Stop teaching Welsh as a language and you'll have an Aye.
Wellzi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
You do realise that this is the status quo right?
Yes, and I the status quo is what I disagree with.
Wellzi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Nay, just because the chair and leader of labour hate Wales doesn't mean we should do this.
As I recal 50% of the Welsh want the current level of devo to remain. I will not support the government in ignoring the democratic voice of wales
And the other half either don't or don't care, so what about their voice?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, and I the status quo is what I disagree with.
So is this a step in the right direction or not?
Snufkin
Report 4 years ago
Nay.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And the other half either don't or don't care, so what about their voice?
It was abour 18% who want more power I believe so that's not true...
Wellzi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
It was abour 18% who want more power I believe so that's not true...
Fair enough, but still, devolution is a stupid, politically correct concept. It should't be practiced whatsoever.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Stop teaching Welsh as a language and you'll have an Aye.
Hear, hear.
tengentoppa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Welsh shouldn't be taught as a language full stop. Useless relic of a bygone era
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay, nay, a million times nay.

First point: Powers transferred to Wales via a referendum should be revoked only if agreed in a similar referendum - is there any evidence to suggest the people of Wales support this measure?

Second point: Section 3 ends up with a situation where schools can't foster a united school community be prescribing the use of a language shared by all, rather than allowing cliques to develop which children from certain backgrounds can't access. No thanks.

Third point: Why need every school be bilingual, and will this not prove rather expensive? How do you plan to attract sufficient numbers of Welsh speaking teachers?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
Nay, nay, a million times nay.

First point: Powers transferred to Wales via a referendum should be revoked only if agreed in a similar referendum - is there any evidence to suggest the people of Wales support this measure?
The use of referenda for Welsh devolution has been variable - case in point being the Government of Wales Act 2006.

Second point: Section 3 ends up with a situation where schools can't foster a united school community be prescribing the use of a language shared by all, rather than allowing cliques to develop which children from certain backgrounds can't access. No thanks.
As per your comments in Government I've changed this to only refer to prohibiting English or Welsh. As these would be the two languages being used for the lessons and admin of the school it would be pretty daft to look to ban one, no?

Third point: Why need every school be bilingual, and will this not prove rather expensive? How do you plan to attract sufficient numbers of Welsh speaking teachers?
Because the existing situation in many places is either separate schools for each language, which divides communities and creates an unrealistic Welsh-only environment in Welsh-medium schools (often by force as per point 2), or even in some counties a ban on English-medium education altogether.

I don't see any difference in cost created by having both English and Welsh in two schools versus a separate school for each.

And I don't really see why there would be an increased demand for Welsh-speaking teachers, as English-only teachers can still teach in bilingual schools by only teaching the English stream.
Jean-Luc Picard
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
education should be mainly done by local authorities not central government on the local rich, this replaces one bad system with another imho.

also why is it only Welsh kids who get the right to use their own language? since when does the government even dictate what language kids use to each other either?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
education should be mainly done by local authorities not central government on the local rich, this replaces one bad system with another imho.
For university and employment purposes it's best that education policy is decided at pretty much the highest level possible - consistency is key.

also why is it only Welsh kids who get the right to use their own language? since when does the government even dictate what language kids use to each other either?
Because a) it's an official language and b) the Government doesn't dictate what language they use, only forbids a ban on the use of English or Welsh within schools.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.02%
They've been reasonable (70)
40.94%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.73%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)
26.32%

Watched Threads