Urgent! Need people knowledgeable about Biochemistry or Biomedical sciences Watch

Badassbunny
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm applying for universities this year. I don't know which course I want to do between biochemistry and biomedical sciences. Please if you are currently doing the course or have done any of theses courses could you tell me where you studied, how you found it, and things you wish someone had told you? And what might be the key differences between the courses? Thank you in advance
Badassbunny
Rep:
?
bump
DavidYorkshireFTW
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Studying Biomedical Science at Aston University, and I wish someone had told me theres quite a lot of focus on genetics, and minimal focus on chemistry.
Biomedical Science aims to give you a holistic understanding of the physiology of a cell and a basic knowledge of the bodies functionality and mechanics.
My modules thus far have been: physiology, genetics, molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology, biotechnology amongst others.
Hope that helps
Badassbunny
Rep:
?
(Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW)
Studying Biomedical Science at Aston University, and I wish someone had told me theres quite a lot of focus on genetics, and minimal focus on chemistry.
Biomedical Science aims to give you a holistic understanding of the physiology of a cell and a basic knowledge of the bodies functionality and mechanics.
My modules thus far have been: physiology, genetics, molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology, biotechnology amongst others.
Hope that helps
It does help a little bit thank you
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Badassbunny)
I study Biomedical Science at UWE and my modules last year were Anatomy and Physiology (Basically a lot of human anatomy), Biomedical Skills (*iss easy module which was mostly maths, chemistry and a few things on radiation/how X-Rays, MRI and CAT Scans work), Pathophysiology of Disease (A LOT of diseases, diagnosis, cures, animal reservoirs and life cycles (mainly parasites) and being able to diagnose, grade and stage cancers plus cell biology such as apoptosis and necrosis, by far the hardest module) and Cell Genetics and Biochemistry, does what it says on the tin.

=)
Bagsworth
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Badassbunny)
I did BSc Biomedical Sciences and now PhD Pharmacology and Toxicology - Biochemistry is more biology but with a focus on chemistry - no longer do enzymes have the induced fit, they have specific conformations and weak intramolecular forces holding the desired substrate in place.
It's a narrower degree but the focus is on more applied chemistry to cells, diseases, drugs, processes.

Biomedical Science broadly teaches the four biomed disciplines - Medical microbiology, haematology, histopathology and clinical biochemistry as well as various options depending on universities.
I studied cancer, cell biology, virology, disease mechanisms and therapeutics, drug design and pharmacology.
Basically, you wouldn't study micro organisms or haematology/histology in a Biochemistry degree but many many things are fair game in a biomed degree. It has to have the basics in those four above but then the other modules can be anything.
I went to a university though where we shared 80% of all modules with biochemists and we had 2 modules of "Biomedical Sciences I & II" so there was (and probably is in a lot of unis) a lot of overlap between the two.

In short, Biochem has slightly more depth of knowledge with a slant on chemistry, Biomed is breadth of knowledge but there is often a Venn-diagram like component to both of them. Biomedical science (if it is accredited by the IBMS) is also the main route to becoming a registered biomedical scientist in the UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?