What do the Royal Family actually do?

Watch this thread
localblackguy
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Is it just a British way to circlejerk patriotism or? Would anyone care if it was ruled in the future that there would no longer be a monarchy? I'm not trying to be patronising btw, more curious than anything really
username1530463
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by localblackguy)
Is it just a British way to circlejerk patriotism or? Would anyone care if it was ruled in the future that there would no longer be a monarchy? I'm not trying to be patronising btw, more curious than anything really
They do stuff like this:
username1530463
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Leking9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
They collect a share of the tax revenue generated by HMRC and they shake a few hands every now and then
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Play a core role at the pinnacle of our constitution. Facilitate diplomacy. Stand as a clear sign of continuity, in themselves and by participating in functions such as the state opening of parliament. Maintain some sort of link with the commonwealth, particularly the commonwealth realms. Bestow honours and such like.
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
No more or less useless than other powerful people tbh. The fat cat CEO does 0 work but seals deals on the golf course. Same with the royals. At least they have a bit of decorum and noblesse oblige, plus it guards against coups, plus it's better than a greasy pole climbing party political president.
willock
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
They exist. Wouldn't have it any other way though
Mark8346
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
They are born into a position of money and political power due to who their ancestors were. There are people who believe that this is ok as they claim the royal family is profitable - as if the loss a royal family would somehow mean bulldozing all the palaces, resulting in a loss of tourism. They also claim that the crown estate is profitable, ignoring the fact that the crown estate has been government owned after a government bailout of a previous monarch who was massively in debt.

They are actually German royalty, but they changed their name during WW1 due to anti German sentiment at the time when Germany started bombing London.

They belonged to the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
London was bombed by Gotha G.IV, a heavy aircraft.
Octohedral
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I think you have to separate the people from the institution.

1. The people I couldn't care less about. As far as I am concerned we are paying for the institution not the people, and if one family gets rich as a by-product, that's just a weird anomaly that doesn't really affect the rest of our social system. It makes some people happy looking at their babies, so I guess in that sense the perform the role of celebrities.

2. The institution is, of course, obsolete in a directly political sense, and in theory we could get rid of it. However, there are a couple of benefits worth considering.
- They are the official monarchy of something like 40 countries, including Canada. Whilst they play no direct political role, this connection can be subtly useful to us in garnering loyalties across the globe.
- They can be deployed diplomatically in situations where a governmental visit would be 'too serious and political'.
- They can act as a stabiliser against rich and powerful people trying to increase their power and influence.
- It gives more 'meaning' and tradition to honours such as knighthoods.
- It may or may not help our tourism industry (I have heard claims that they bring in more money than they cost, but that may be nonsense).
- They are closely allied with the church (not on a day to day basis, but in the 'queen and country' sense). If you abolished the monarchy, we would probably also separate church and state and end up like America. Some would argue this is a good thing. Personally, I have no great love for the church or monarchy (I'm an atheist), but there is an argument to say that our C of E identity is a stabilising force that should be considered carefully before being discarded.
- They apparently do a lot of charity work.
- Their existence makes old people happy.

For the record, I'm no monarchist. I have just outlined all the 'pro' arguments I can think of at 2am.
Mark8346
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Octohedral)
- They can act as a stabiliser against rich and powerful people trying to increase their power and influence.
Then you are putting far too much faith in them.

(Original post by Octohedral)
- It gives more 'meaning' and tradition to honours such as knighthoods.
Knighthoods are gained by donating money to political parties, who then get you on the list to gain a knighthood. What a joke.
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The Royal family does nothing. It is the institution of the Monarchy which I support and which matters. If you want to get rid of these Germans and replace them with an Aristocratic Anglican family, I would be fine with that.
whorace
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by william walker)
The Royal family does nothing. It is the institution of the Monarchy which I support and which matters. If you want to get rid of these Germans and replace them with an Aristocratic Anglican family, I would be fine with that.
Have u tried politics not based on abstract fantasy
william walker
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by whorace)
What does that mean?
william walker
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by whorace)
Well what are you talking about?
AgentMooHoo
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Shower, sh!t, shave, shag and shovel up the cash we give em.
callum_law
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
They issue Royal Assent to Acts of Parliament and give Assent to Orders in Council. They are the apolitical guardians of democracy in this fragile Westminster Parliamentary system where power lies so precariously on the shoulders of so few.

I am not exactly a royalist, but the current system is better with the royals than without. If we were to start again and rebalance the separation of powers, I'd be OK with getting rid of them. But we're not going to be doing that anytime soon.
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
- The Crown plays an important role as corporation and apolitical authority above parliament. It is an essential part of the state as per the constitutional arrangement. It can dissolve parliament should it cease to function effectively and may dismiss MPs/PMs.
- The Royal Family and its properties attract millions of tourists.
- The Crown plays an important role in wildlife conservation and stewards large areas of land.
- The Royal Family are important diplomatic figures and dignitaries that maintain strong ties within the Commonwealth and many other nations.
- Finally, they are an integral part of our nations' cultures and heritage.
localblackguy
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So from what I've seen tourism, diplomacy, symbol of heritage/culture and being an apolitical authority over parliament are the main purposes for the Crown existing still. My next question is: do you guys not think that someone or something else could do these same things within a few months/years if the monarchy were to be abolished? Or would it not be the same? A poster above mentioned political instability and separation between church/state but how significant are things like that in your eyes?

Again, not an attack before a royalist tries to chop my head off, I just don't really understand it since in Ireland there's no monarchy.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Not much of genuine importance, but I like the institution because it's full of history and heritage.
gladders
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Pretty much the same as what other ceremonial Heads of State worldwide do, such as the German President.

They have a ceremonial role of being a voice for the nation for grand occasions, and a symbol of national unity. This is strengthened by their political impartiality, as whether you're left-wing or right-wing, the monarchy is there for us all. For many, seeing the Queen - even simply being in the same room - can be a life event. It's not a matter of the Queen being somehow 'better' than the rest of us, but that the positive values and history the monarchy represent are embodied in the monarch, as well as the Queen's obvious personal charisma and charm.

On a more day-to-day, practical side, the Queen has a very busy working day. Walter Bagehot described the monarch's function as 'to be informed, to encourage and to warn'. This means the Queen is meant to be informed on a wide range of matters, domestic, foreign, and parliamentary. She gets a heap of 'ministerial' red boxes every day. With these, She consults, and is consulted by, members of the Government, and gives insight, observations, suggestions, opinions, and if necessary, warnings. Ministers remain entirely free to ignore Her advice, as they are responsible to Parliament, not the Queen; but often they find Her advice useful.

This can be good for institutional memory and making use of long-term experience.

The Queen is also consulted on the use of the Royal Prerogative, which is still official Hers to exercise, although nowadays She only exercises it on the advice of Her ministers. They still have to discuss it with Her, though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
28.14%
As I expected (71)
30.74%
Harder (87)
37.66%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.46%

Watched Threads