CleverKid96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys, long story short, I'm a skinny guy looking to build some muscle over a two month period starting from next week and I was wondering if any body builders on this forum have any tips on gaining 2 stone in weight (muscle mass)? I'm prepared to buy protein shakes and the like, change my diet, put in all the effort and even start visiting the gym regularly

FYI: I'm 18, 5ft 10 and I think that I'm about 8 stone (possibly a little more)
historyandlanz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am in the same position as you and i would love to join your adventure. Any experienced people that could help us?
Loyale
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm 16 5ft6 8stone too...would love to join
historyandlanz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
nice responses, I have got to say at the start just eat a lot of crap and lift. ive been doing this and my physique has really improved. Also protein powder can help bulk up. after you get some good results change your diet to maintain weight.
cbreef
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CleverKid96)
Hey guys, long story short, I'm a skinny guy looking to build some muscle over a two month period starting from next week and I was wondering if any body builders on this forum have any tips on gaining 2 stone in weight (muscle mass)? I'm prepared to buy protein shakes and the like, change my diet, put in all the effort and even start visiting the gym regularly

Are you this guy then?

cbreef
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Dude I'm similar to you, but 3 stone heavier??/
I'm 6ft 3 and skinny as f*** but still. 8 stone seems really, really light
Fizzel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I'll bite, first this should be in fitness not everyday advice.

2 stone is 28lbs. For someone who is a beginner lifter, a first year gain in muscle mass is 10-15lbs, and it will not be 100% muscle. With good routine that person might put on 20lbs of total mass, with 10-15lbs of that being muscle mass. With diminishing returns from then onwards.

You simply cannot put on anything like 2 stone of muscle in 2 months, and if you try you'll just end up fat and skinny. You need to take a more realistic long term approach to lifting (28lbs with a good bf% is probably a 3 year job). If you are hoping to look good for a certain date (holiday) then I would say the best thing you could do is ensure you have a low bf% which in 2 months is realistic, you can do some lifting too which will help. There will be little improvement in muscle mass but you will look more muscular with a lower bf%.

Protein powder is useful but not necessary. Its an easy (sometimes cheap) way to hit your protein requirement for the day, and will provide some calories. However its not going magically bulk you up.
CleverKid96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Fizzel)
I'll bite, first this should be in fitness not everyday advice.

2 stone is 28lbs. For someone who is a beginner lifter, a first year gain in muscle mass is 10-15lbs, and it will not be 100% muscle. With good routine that person might put on 20lbs of total mass, with 10-15lbs of that being muscle mass. With diminishing returns from then onwards.

You simply cannot put on anything like 2 stone of muscle in 2 months, and if you try you'll just end up fat and skinny. You need to take a more realistic long term approach to lifting (28lbs with a good bf% is probably a 3 year job). If you are hoping to look good for a certain date (holiday) then I would say the best thing you could do is ensure you have a low bf% which in 2 months is realistic, you can do some lifting too which will help. There will be little improvement in muscle mass but you will look more muscular with a lower bf%.

Protein powder is useful but not necessary. Its an easy (sometimes cheap) way to hit your protein requirement for the day, and will provide some calories. However its not going magically bulk you up.
Thanks for the lengthy reply; it's really appreciated and I'm happy to take all that advice on board. What range of weights should I buy? And what kind of routine should I go for?
Fizzel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the lengthy reply; it's really appreciated and I'm happy to take all that advice on board. What range of weights should I buy? And what kind of routine should I go for?
I wouldn't buy weights. If you want to get bigger and stronger you need to progressively overload. Long story short unless you're looking to spend £1000+ on home equipment, you're better off joining a gym. You buy some 15kg dumbbells, then what happens when they aren't enough or are too heavy for something else? Make sure the gym you join has essential like a squat rack, cage or something that you can safely use a barbell in (not a smith machine if possible)

You should be starting out with a basic routine, that involves big compound lifts, squats, bench, deadlift, OHP, rows things of that nature. 5x5, starting strength

Read the FAQ thread,
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post52097275
username1530463
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cbreef)
Are you this guy then?

He's not the only one. I think my friends sometimes hate me when they see me eat.
toonervoustotalk
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OP do compound exercises 3 days a week and use a 5x5 routine like stronglifts or starting strength
And eat more carbs and protein
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (57)
67.06%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.18%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.76%

Watched Threads