Should I introduce myself by a nickname at Uni?

Watch
reallytrulee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My name is Victoria. I went by Vicky for about eleven years, but when I moved to America, I just didn't introduce myself as Vicky, so it faded, and I am thinking I may introduce myself by the nickname at college, because its my Chance to be called what i want to be called, but my question is, do people find nicknames like Vicky lame or childish? I just thought it sounded less formal, and made me feel less uptight. Also, people now often call me Vic, but i don't really like that, and i'm hoping to prevent that by going by Vicky. So, be honest, so you like the idea? or not, and why?
Kash24411
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by reallytrulee)
My name is Victoria. I went by Vicky for about eleven years, but when I moved to America, I just didn't introduce myself as Vicky, so it faded, and I am thinking I may introduce myself by the nickname at college, because its my Chance to be called what i want to be called, but my question is, do people find nicknames like Vicky lame or childish? I just thought it sounded less formal, and made me feel less uptight. Also, people now often call me Vic, but i don't really like that, and i'm hoping to prevent that by going by Vicky. So, be honest, so you like the idea? or not, and why?
Well my teacher had the exact same name as yours and went by the nickname Vicky.I think it will be perfectly fine and it's a good idea imo
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know quite a few adults who go by the nickname versions of their names. It'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A5ko
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You're not really describing a nickname, just an abbreviation of your actual name.
clonedmemories
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Introduce yourself as what you'd like to be called by, and people should take that. I know plenty of people who go by shortened versions of their name, and a couple who even go by completely different ones because that's what they'd prefer to be known as.
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A5ko is right.

I'll be doing that as well.

My full name is Stefanos, so I'll let people choose whatever they want from Stefan/Steven/Steve...
peanutbuttercup
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeh people wouldn't be bothered. When I first spoke to my neighbour in halls she told me her name and I was lef thinking 'is that her actual name?' but later found out it was an abbreviation of her surname and she has never once gone by her actual forename unless we are taking the mick out of her haha
Tanishay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
its not a nickname but its your name shortened
Judge Jasel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't see why not. I even know people who go by their handle names from online forums (screen names, pseudonym, whatever you wanna call it). I guess by doing so, it makes the atmosphere less formal.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (62)
15.12%
I'm not sure (14)
3.41%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (139)
33.9%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.46%
I'm not a current university student (189)
46.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed