Methods of detecting target nucleic acids

Watch
Amyiyiyi
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Can anyone provide some advice on this topic---?Thanks!
Eloades11
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Amyiyiyi)
Can anyone provide some advice on this topic---?Thanks!
You're inquiring into a very broad topic. Are you asking about isolating DNA? Are you asking how to work out whether DNA is present in a sample? Are you asking about staining techniques? Or do you want to know how to recognise whether a specific sequence is present on a strand?
Amyiyiyi
Rep:
Thanks! I mean the last,how to recognise whether a specific sequence is present on a strand?
Eloades11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Amyiyiyi)
Thanks! I mean the last,how to recognise whether a specific sequence is present on a strand?
From the top of my head, I can think of various hybridisation techniques. Fluorescent in situ hybridisation is a powerful technique which is able to recognise DNA sequences with a high sequence complementarity. You can read more about it on the wikipedia page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluore..._hybridization
earthworm
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Straight PCR, make a primer to target the sequence then pcr up and run a gel.

Or qPCR if you have the gear.

Or a good old fassioned southern blott, or even a micro arraym

Of course you could also sequence by sanger or ion torrent.

In short, lots of methods depending on your starting point

Fish is a good shout if you want to see it in an isolated cell. I think PCR derived methods are more sensitive
Amyiyiyi
Rep:
(Original post by Eloades11)
From the top of my head, I can think of various hybridisation techniques. Fluorescent in situ hybridisation is a powerful technique which is able to recognise DNA sequences with a high sequence complementarity. You can read more about it on the wikipedia page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluore..._hybridization
Thanks for your replication.
Amyiyiyi
Rep:
(Original post by earthworm)
Straight PCR, make a primer to target the sequence then pcr up and run a gel.

Or qPCR if you have the gear.

Or a good old fassioned southern blott, or even a micro arraym

Of course you could also sequence by sanger or ion torrent.

In short, lots of methods depending on your starting point

Fish is a good shout if you want to see it in an isolated cell. I think PCR derived methods are more sensitive
Thanks for your rely here,and yesterday night, I suddenly read a blog about this question, and I got my answers.Glad to share it with you! http://www.cd-genomics.com/blog/inde...nucleic-acids/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.63%
Note taking apps (7)
1.85%
Flashcards (86)
22.75%
Revision guides (19)
5.03%
Past papers (173)
45.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed