kierasheppard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi! My name is Kiera. I am really unsure about how this clearing process works and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I was unable to get the points that Cardiff University was asking for and I was just wondering if and how I could apply for clearing? I would really love to attend Cardiff
DeeHarg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As you didn't meet Cardiff's requirement you won't be able to study there. When clearing opens after exam results are published in August, you will be able to see which university has spaces, you will also see what their requirements are. If there are universities that you've met their requirements then you can contact them give them your clearing number (UCAS will give this to you soon) and they'll take it from there
kierasheppard
Rep:
?
Okay, thank you so much! Do you know why some universities are opening their clearing so early this year? Does this mean I will have to make a decision before August due to the limited spaces available when A level results are out?
DeeHarg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Universities will post that they have space from an early date but until clearing opens you can't apply. I would suggest looking at the ones that you meet their criteria. Keep checking UCAS to see if they appear as having a space. On the day clearing opens you call them in order of preference *as soon as the clearing lines open* But make note of a few, don't just rely on one.

Did you only choose one university on your UCAS application?? If you have you will have to pay a top up amount (about £12) when you find a place in clearing.
kierasheppard
Rep:
?
Okay, do you think it would be a good idea to call them before and ask what I should do? I also have an offer from Bath Spa University as my insurance choice.
Smug Life
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kierasheppard)
Okay, do you think it would be a good idea to call them before and ask what I should do? I also have an offer from Bath Spa University as my insurance choice.
you can only use clearing if you don't meet either of your choices (firm or insurance)
DeeHarg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you not met the requirements for Bath Spa? If you have they you won't be in clearing.
puss n boots
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DeeHarg)
Universities will post that they have space from an early date but until clearing opens you can't apply. I would suggest looking at the ones that you meet their criteria. Keep checking UCAS to see if they appear as having a space. On the day clearing opens you call them in order of preference *as soon as the clearing lines open* But make note of a few, don't just rely on one..
You failed to answer Kiera's question. Shocking!

Do you know why some universities are opening their clearing so early this year? Does this mean I will have to make a decision before August due to the limited spaces available when A level results are out?
The reason why clearing is open early this year is so that it coincides with the release of the IB results. The British A-levels is not the be all and end all set of qualifications you know

The unis will consider and give out offers to IB (international baccalaureate) students with good results. If you already hold A levels qualifications and you have contacted the unis and the unis have told you that they are not going to give you an offer then you will have to wait till August. Do you know why?

cos that period of time is dedicated to those who have just received the A level results. The unis will then give out offers to students with the good A level results. And at the very end of the exercise if the unis still do have places and if you continue calling and pestering the admission tutors, you might very well get a place.

so good luck to you.
emmajames3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi! My name is Kiera. I am really unsure about how this clearing process works and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I was unable to get the points that Cardiff University was asking for and I was just wondering if and how I could apply for clearing? I would really love to attend Cardiff
Hi, I missed out on both my firm and insurance choices and have gone to university through clearing.

If you haven't met the criteria for Cardiff then you wont be able to get in, even if they have clearing places available on that course.

If you do meet the requirements for Bath Spa then you won't have to worry about clearing, you'll simply have to accept the offer from Bath Spa on results day which can be done on the UCAS website

If you feel like you want to call the university up before you get your results then do, however they won't know for certain how many students will meet the grades and get in before then, so won't be able to give you that much more information, unless you want to ask about specifics of the course and grades, they wont be able to help that much with clearing until results day!

Universities also can decide to have more places available than when the original UCAS applications started, so that may be another reason for your course being in clearing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?