Is this legal?

Watch
Sarah1999
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My mum got an email from someone (this was regarding something to do with myself) and when I clicked 'show details' it gave a list of everyone the person had emailed. Although it is just a list of email addresses and not highly personal information surely the person that emailed all these people had a legal responsibility to protect personal information, or are email address not considered personal information? I know it's very straightforward to ensure that when emailing a group of people everyone that receives the email only sees that it's been emailed to them.

I'm not overly bothered by this, I would just like to know whether the person that sent the email was actually breaking the law?
Flather
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your email is probably considered to be in the public domain for anyone to access. They probably got your email off a site you signed up for and you gave them the rights to give your email out
A5ko
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Email addresses are not personal information like telephone numbers, which are regularly traded for cash.

Legality arises when the content of the email is questioned, and whether the recipients needed to see the information.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sarah1999)
My mum got an email from someone (this was regarding something to do with myself) and when I clicked 'show details' it gave a list of everyone the person had emailed. Although it is just a list of email addresses and not highly personal information surely the person that emailed all these people had a legal responsibility to protect personal information, or are email address not considered personal information? I know it's very straightforward to ensure that when emailing a group of people everyone that receives the email only sees that it's been emailed to them.

I'm not overly bothered by this, I would just like to know whether the person that sent the email was actually breaking the law?
Do you mean that they have all received a carbon copy of the email that was specifically about you?
Sarah1999
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The email wasn't specifically for me, it was for a group of us.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The email wasn't specifically for me, it was for a group of us.
Oh, that's a no then, even my law school used to do that,
SonicOfPron
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
All above board. Nothing to see here.
ElizabethHere
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I really depends on what was in the email. Unless it was some super personal information about you, then this is totally fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (114)
40.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (31)
10.99%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (21)
7.45%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (64)
22.7%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
11.7%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed