The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Chemical engineering at Bradford?

Is it easy for new graduate to get job and is starting salary decent?
How hard is it? Also is it a good degree for if you want to travel abroad??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Well UoB has one of the highest percentages of employed engineering graduates in the whole of the UK, so getting a good job should be somewhat straight forward after graduating, the university also pays for you to be a member of the IET, institute of engineering and Technology(this organization grants Chartered status). Staring salaries for B.Eng or M.eng Graduates are among some of the best. All engineering courses at UoB are difficult and challenging but the support is there for you to succeed. The university is part of the ERASMUS project, which means theres loads of uni's throughout europe which you can spend a semester at.
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Original post by Soldado
Well UoB has one of the highest percentages of employed engineering graduates in the whole of the UK, so getting a good job should be somewhat straight forward after graduating, the university also pays for you to be a member of the IET, institute of engineering and Technology(this organization grants Chartered status). Staring salaries for B.Eng or M.eng Graduates are among some of the best. All engineering courses at UoB are difficult and challenging but the support is there for you to succeed. The university is part of the ERASMUS project, which means theres loads of uni's throughout europe which you can spend a semester at.

Wow thanks for that info! Helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Are you going to study Chemical Engineering at Bradford Uni this year?
Original post by ial22
Are you going to study Chemical Engineering at Bradford Uni this year?

No thinking of applying for 2016.. But sandwich degree is quite long! Don't know if it's worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Sugarsweet123
No thinking of applying for 2016.. But sandwich degree is quite long! Don't know if it's worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess, it IS. I took sandwich as well(+ MEng, so I'll study for 5 years), as nowadays it's important for employers that you have a previous job experience.
Reply 6
Wow thanks for that info! Helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome! I'm a 2nd year Medical Engineering at UoB, so if you have any questions regarding engineering courses at bradford or bradford in general, please fire away!
Original post by Soldado
You're welcome! I'm a 2nd year Medical Engineering at UoB, so if you have any questions regarding engineering courses at bradford or bradford in general, please fire away!

Haha thanks! I was thinking of medical engineering as I'm interested in health based studies to. Btw are you guaranteed a work placement? How hard is it to get it and how much would they approximately pay ? 😃😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Haha thanks! I was thinking of medical engineering as I'm interested in health based studies to. Btw are you guaranteed a work placement? How hard is it to get it and how much would they approximately pay ? 😃😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you maintain over 60% after your first two years(not hard to do as long as you put the work in) you will have the offer of either a full year work placement as gap in your studies or a summer placement. These are often at companies which partner the uni, such as Johnson&Johnson(these are good if you want to go into biochem eng) GE Healthcare(these are good if you want to go into clinical Engineering i.e the manufacture and development of medical devices an example being prosthesis) and the Christie if you want to go into cancer research. Theres loads of other companies that offer placement as UoB is one of the most well known and one of the oldest unis to offer med. Eng. The pay varies but i know johnson and johnson pay around 8/h for 1 year placement and around 6/h for summer placement. So in short as long as you 60% you're guaranteed placement,
Original post by Soldado
If you maintain over 60% after your first two years(not hard to do as long as you put the work in) you will have the offer of either a full year work placement as gap in your studies or a summer placement. These are often at companies which partner the uni, such as Johnson&Johnson(these are good if you want to go into biochem eng) GE Healthcare(these are good if you want to go into clinical Engineering i.e the manufacture and development of medical devices an example being prosthesis) and the Christie if you want to go into cancer research. Theres loads of other companies that offer placement as UoB is one of the most well known and one of the oldest unis to offer med. Eng. The pay varies but i know johnson and johnson pay around 8/h for 1 year placement and around 6/h for summer placement. So in short as long as you 60% you're guaranteed placement,

Are there many chemical engineering jobs around bradford..?
Is it easy for new graduate to get job and is starting salary decent?
How hard is it? Also is it a good degree for if you want to travel abroad??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Sugarsweet123, I’ve addressed a similar question you raised in a separate forum on The Student Room hope this is okay.

Most Chemical Engineers gain employment in industries where large-scale conversion of raw materials is involved and also in the process industries, for example; gas, nuclear, paper, textiles, food, pharmaceutical, oil and recycling industries.There is a huge drive in the UK to get more Women in Engineering.

Engineering can be a great career to work in, with many pathways it can lead to and a huge shortage in the number of graduates going in to Engineering, opportunities to work in the industry are in abundance; http://www.theguardian.com/women-in-leadership/2013/apr/26/taken-seriously-women-in-engineering

Engineering professionals can earn a high salary http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2868911/Best-paid-UK-jobs-2014-Compare-pay-national-average.html but most of all it can be a great career which you can grow and develop in.

I hope you find this information useful and if you’d like any further information or advice please do get in touch!
Original post by University of Bradford
Hi Sugarsweet123, I’ve addressed a similar question you raised in a separate forum on The Student Room hope this is okay.

Most Chemical Engineers gain employment in industries where large-scale conversion of raw materials is involved and also in the process industries, for example; gas, nuclear, paper, textiles, food, pharmaceutical, oil and recycling industries.There is a huge drive in the UK to get more Women in Engineering.

Engineering can be a great career to work in, with many pathways it can lead to and a huge shortage in the number of graduates going in to Engineering, opportunities to work in the industry are in abundance; http://www.theguardian.com/women-in-leadership/2013/apr/26/taken-seriously-women-in-engineering

Engineering professionals can earn a high salary http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2868911/Best-paid-UK-jobs-2014-Compare-pay-national-average.html but most of all it can be a great career which you can grow and develop in.

I hope you find this information useful and if you’d like any further information or advice please do get in touch!

Hi there,
How many of the students go into the oil and gas sector of engineering and do bradford have good links to industry which allow graduates to find jobs there?
Original post by University of Bradford

wow thankyou for the info. I've heard that with chemical engineering the main jobs are down south. Are there any major company's or good employment opportunities near bradford/Leeds ? Where do most Chem eng graduates first start working?

Posted from TSR Mobile
wow thankyou for the info. I've heard that with chemical engineering the main jobs are down south. Are there any major company's or good employment opportunities near bradford/Leeds ? Where do most Chem eng graduates first start working?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Adeel Ali
Hi there,
How many of the students go into the oil and gas sector of engineering and do bradford have good links to industry which allow graduates to find jobs there?

There’s various places our graduates go, including major companies such as; BASF (which has various locations in the UK including Bradford), BP (http://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/careers/students-and-graduates/graduate-locations.html), also Pfizer and Astra Zeneca which are mainly south of England based for their UK locations. Remember, such companies have locations all around the world so you never know, you could be globe trotting as a Chemical Engineer one day.

There are hundreds of places you could progress to start your career with, check out this website full of potential future employers; http://www.whynotchemeng.com/employers.aspx#.VayzNKRVhBc

The School of Engineering at the University of Bradford also has an industry advisory board which has regular input to our programmes to ensure our prgrammes are up to date with industry expectations. Companies on the advisory board include; OGN Group, BASF and Flexitallic.
I know i'm late to this thread but does it matter what university you go to for Chemical Engineering? As when I look down Bradford's career info drop down list, there's not as much 'links with Industry' as others have, Does Bradford have a lot of links with industry and is it good to study at?
Original post by Mo Tayee
I know i'm late to this thread but does it matter what university you go to for Chemical Engineering? As when I look down Bradford's career info drop down list, there's not as much 'links with Industry' as others have, Does Bradford have a lot of links with industry and is it good to study at?

Hi Mo Tayee

Chemical Engineering was recently ranked in the Top 5 in the Guardian League Tables 2017 so we know how to take care of our students!

Read more about Chemical Engineering on our School of Engineering website. There is a link to a list of our industrial partners.

If you're looking for a place for this September call our hotline on 0300 456 2666 where an engineering academic will be happy to talk to you.

Hope this helps

AM

Quick Reply

Latest