Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Online Focus Group: Black Students in British Education watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron Huntroyde)
    Yes, I think so, if you look at Burnley, most blacks live in ghettos, but the doctors, lawyers, accountants, teachers etc all live in the predominantly white areas where housing is more expensive but crime is less etc.
    I think that you will find that is pretty commonplace everywhere mate. I would name myself as an example, living on a middle-class residential street in a Birmingham suburb where I rarely ever see a black face other than my family and few Asian ones at that. The same goes for virtually all areas in the world, look at post-apartheid South Africa and Brazil. Where there is an opportunity for people to escape poor social conditions and provide a better quality of life to (in particular) their offspring - they will. Why wouldn't they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lepr)
    I don't understand what you're saying here, that a superior race doesn't exist BECAUSE no hypothesis can verify this? If so, that is a flawed argument.
    Agreed. Hitler also thought that holding the lance of Jesus would make him almost invincible like all the other kings in the holy Roman Empire.

The main point is, will there ever be a serious investigation into this issue or will the PC nature of certain countries not allow it to be done? I applaued Jools for having the balls to look at such a difficult issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    This was the belief of my teacher at 6th form - she said that many teachers see a black person and don't expect them to do well in education, and have a "He looks athletic, he'll be a bricklayer" attitude.
    I don't want everyone to pounce on me at this point but I am going to admit something:

I went on the tube about this time last year as I had to change trains in London and I was so shocked by the amount of black people that I couldn't help but look (you'll perhaps understand why I behaved like this if you look back a few pages). I was so shocked because the very very few black people in my town I see collecting bins or being doormen. When I was walking down the train I bumped into a black lady who was all kitted out in her designer stuff (so was obviously a successful business woman) and I said "I'm sorry!" and she gave me the most disdainful look and, I'm ashamed to admit, the thought 'don't look at me like that, just because you're successful and black' occured. If that was a white woman I would have totally accepted it! I was so surprised that it ran through my head.

What am I trying to say then? How does this affect the argument? I don't know, but obviously this is still quite a "normal" reaction even in someone who has been brought up to see everyone equally (although perhaps my situation isn't normal?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I think that you will find that is pretty commonplace everywhere mate.
    Oh yes, I was simply saying what I know of, there are many towns where there are no ghettos and very few middle class blacks.

ReputationRep:
    Nietzche said philosophy with a sledgehammer. I say politics with a sledgehammer.

ReputationRep:
    It's been two hours now and I call an end to this online focus group.

Thankyou, I really appreciate the response, and that several of you have highlighted various factors which all influence the problem, and the conflict of opinions highlighting that it's not a clear-cut, black and white (see what I did there...) dilemma.

Jools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Agreed. Hitler also thought that holding the lance of Jesus would make him almost invincible like all the other kings in the holy Roman Empire.

The main point is, will there ever be a serious investigation into this issue or will the PC nature of certain countries not allow it to be done? I applaued Jools for having the balls to look at such a difficult issue.
    I also applaud Jools for having the balls to allocate the correct emphasis to this issue, namely a very minor factor in a large and complex problem. As your approach to the issue shows, it's only too easy to spend 10 seconds saying "socio-economic" and then get lost in discussions of racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)

Hitler was a hugely intelligent man. He enlisted the best scientists of the time (not just in Germany) to direct probably one of the most intensive scientific studies in history on the issue. There is a wealth of information and a raft of conclusions which have been drawn from the work of Nazi eugenists. It makes me laugh quite frankly when you imply that there has not been a 'serious investigation' into the said topic. The investigation that took place in 1930s Germany was on an unprecedented scale and was serious stuff.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.