theconsciousindian
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I took a gap year last year which was planned, however my a-level results were not, receiving worse results than planned left my only option to be to apply through clearing, this is due to my expected grades this year and the universities I wish to apply to.

Long story short, I went through some personal issues throughout my a-levels which the college I attended was well aware of, and which was one of the main factors for my poor results. The planned gap year was merely so I could have some time and space needed to 'sort myself out'. I did work for some time during my gap year but not much else, I'm only now finishing off my personal statement for 2015 entry but i'm drawing a blank on what to say was the reason for my gap year. Taking a year out has helped me develop as a person and made me able to cope a lot better, but I don't know if that would be an appropriate thing to add into my personal statement.

Thoughts?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You don't need to say why you took a gap year. People take them for all sorts of reasons, Just mention (briefly) what you did on your gap year (unless it's relevant to your course choice, in which case mention it in more detail)
Consu24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Focus on any positive aspect that surfaced as a result of your gap year. Did you read any inspiring books? Went to an university open day? Any interesting events/ work experience you learned from? If everything fails and you feel like mentioning your gap year would be a drawback, just don't highlight it and move on to talk about your other motivation for applied to the desired course. Best of luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
16.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (89)
28.53%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.5%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (42)
13.46%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.53%

Watched Threads