The Student Room Group

Should I break up with my boyfriend over this?

I've been with my boyfriend for 2 years, and he's always worked a lot (6 days/9hrs) but he recently opened a new small business with a friend and now works 6-7 days/12 hours a day.

He doesn't know when he'll get a day off/which day it'll be and he's always on call if they need him.

I've always been an understanding girlfriend, I know he needs to work, I know he likes to see his friends after work sometimes and since I work less hours I always clean the house/do the laundry etc (we live together).

But I'm starting to think I'm being a push-over. I usually call him, but if don't, he'll maybe text me once or a 2 minute call a day. I know he misses me/loves me though.

I've even hung out at his workplace, just sitting with him for 10 hours just to see him. I know for a FACT he wouldn't do this for me.

He never gets up early to spend the morning with me, as he doesn't sleep until 3am (finishes work 11.30pm) However, I frequently stay up until 2am to see him.

I feel like he makes no effort. I've talked to him about this a lot, he just tells me to stop nagging, and sometimes begrudging does as I ask if I get upset. But I always feel guilty as he works constantly and I don't like seeing him so tired.

I just hate to be a clingy, needy girlfriend. I don't want to stand in the way of his ambitions, but at the same time I don't want to be taken advantage of. Am I being fair?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Still no replies?
Well love is about sharing and taking actions to share your life with someone else.

I don't really think he loves you from what you said. Sure he may be in love with you and want to be with you, but this isn't the same thing as love. I mean you obviously love him so want to stay with him. However I don't believe people change and he isn't will to remove things from his life to spend more time you.
Reply 3
Original post by william walker
Well love is about sharing and taking actions to share your life with someone else.

I don't really think he loves you from what you said. Sure he may be in love with you and want to be with you, but this isn't the same thing as love. I mean you obviously love him so want to stay with him. However I don't believe people change and he isn't will to remove things from his life to spend more time you.

Really? He tells me he loves me/misses me and when he see's me he's pretty affectionate. But I know you can't change someone, I wasted 3 years of my life trying to with my ex...
Original post by Anonymous
I've been with my boyfriend for 2 years, and he's always worked a lot (6 days/9hrs) but he recently opened a new small business with a friend and now works 6-7 days/12 hours a day.

He doesn't know when he'll get a day off/which day it'll be and he's always on call if they need him.

I've always been an understanding girlfriend, I know he needs to work, I know he likes to see his friends after work sometimes and since I work less hours I always clean the house/do the laundry etc (we live together).

But I'm starting to think I'm being a push-over. I usually call him, but if don't, he'll maybe text me once or a 2 minute call a day. I know he misses me/loves me though.

I've even hung out at his workplace, just sitting with him for 10 hours just to see him. I know for a FACT he wouldn't do this for me.

He never gets up early to spend the morning with me, as he doesn't sleep until 3am (finishes work 11.30pm) However, I frequently stay up until 2am to see him.

I feel like he makes no effort. I've talked to him about this a lot, he just tells me to stop nagging, and sometimes begrudging does as I ask if I get upset. But I always feel guilty as he works constantly and I don't like seeing him so tired.

I just hate to be a clingy, needy girlfriend. I don't want to stand in the way of his ambitions, but at the same time I don't want to be taken advantage of. Am I being fair?

No. You shouldn't break up because he has to work a lot. You have no proof he wouldn't do that for you.
Reply 5

Make your time together more enjoyable, focusing on quality rather than quantity.

Seduce him, make surprise plans, remind him that he wants to be with you when he is free.

He may not be able to change the hours he works, but hopefully he will spend and enjoy more of his leisure time with you.
Reply 6
Original post by RiahDawson
No. You shouldn't break up because he has to work a lot. You have no proof he wouldn't do that for you.

He said he wouldn't.

And I know it's not really his fault, it's just he could sleep early and then see me for a few hours in the morning, but he chooses not too. He never seems bothered that he only see's me a few hours a week. He doesn't even call often, maybe for a few minutes a day. And he often takes ages to text me back. He probably see's his friends more than me, as he goes round to their house until 4am some nights.
Reply 7
Original post by Smonnie
Make your time together more enjoyable, focusing on quality rather than quantity.

Seduce him, make surprise plans, remind him that he wants to be with you when he is free.

He may not be able to change the hours he works, but hopefully he will spend and enjoy more of his leisure time with you.

Yeah, but we see each other 6-10 hours a week. And he's tired during that time, and I feel bad about dragging him around doing fun things.
Here we go.

You have your needs, and he's not fulfilling your needs currently. If you feel you'd rather break up because you think you'd be happier without him, then I wouldn't say that's a ridiculous decision. I'm sure that you understand that he needs to work in order to earn a decent living, that's the way of life. You can't work for long hours and keep your girlfriend happy. His work is more important than you (sorry), that is not to say that you are unimportant to him. You don't need to stay in this relationship if you don't want to, this won't make you a bad person. It's completely within your right to break up over this. That's life, sometimes life gets in the way of a relationship and girlfriends/boyfriends aren't worth making sacrifices or compromises for. Life is more important. Work will always come first. Having said that, you have the right to want to feel happy, clearly you're unhappy and a break up may be a good idea in my opinion.

He is making a lot of effort. When you start a small business there is going to be a lot of hours being put into it and less free time with him. You can't expect him to be there for you, he has a small business to run. It could be very stressful for him and breaking up would make it worse. I would try to do anything to help him in the situation that he is in right now, I think what makes you wonder if he doesn't love you is because of work. However, you're doing a good job at the moment, you're showing him that you care and you're interested. Take my hat off to you for that.
Yeah, but we see each other 6-10 hours a week. And he's tired during that time, and I feel bad about dragging him around doing fun things.

Yes, but you still make it good time. Sex time, movie time, Netflix time, whatever you guys are into. Then maybe he'll meet the guys after work less, and rush home to see you more.

I'm just saying, put a bit of effort in to making the time you do see him pleasant - better and more effective than coming across as nagging or clingy.
He said he wouldn't.

And I know it's not really his fault, it's just he could sleep early and then see me for a few hours in the morning, but he chooses not too. He never seems bothered that he only see's me a few hours a week. He doesn't even call often, maybe for a few minutes a day. And he often takes ages to text me back. He probably see's his friends more than me, as he goes round to their house until 4am some nights.

So what does he do upon getting home? It's understandable that he needs some "me time" after working, but if you feel he's putting your relationship last in his list of priorities you should talk to him about that. Try not to criticise, and try to offer suggestions/solutions.
Don't call him, start doing your own thing and distance yourself a little see how he responds. It sounds like he is taking it for granted you being there for him without him having to invest much of his time in you. So perhaps distance yourself a little and see if he responds/pays more attention. Actions speak louder than words.
Original post by MrMackyTv
He is making a lot of effort. When you start a small business there is going to be a lot of hours being put into it and less free time with him. You can't expect him to be there for you, he has a small business to run. It could be very stressful for him and breaking up would make it worse. I would try to do anything to help him in the situation that he is in right now, I think what makes you wonder if he doesn't love you is because of work. However, you're doing a good job at the moment, you're showing him that you care and you're interested. Take my hat off to you for that.

Thanks. I do understand his work is important, but he's only had this business for 2 weeks. He was the same before (expect he had a day off, which he spent with me-and his friends). And I am helping him, even working in his shop for free.

The problem is, I make MORE of an effort. Everything is easy for him, nothings changed in his life since our relationship, expect he gets sex now/I clean his house. He stills work as much, see's his friends whenever he wants. He told me before that his friends are more important than me. So if his friends/work are more important, I guess that makes me least important.

Anyway thanks for your reply.
He said he wouldn't.

He's just busy I guess. if you're not happy about the way things are try talking to him and if it doesn't work out then break up. Though if he's working and busy he can't reply to you fast and not everyone is a morning person. "Probably" sees his friends more than you. You're making assumptions. Go talk to him.
seems like work has took over his life, if you aren't getting any attention from him, or little, really no point in still trying I guess.
He said he wouldn't.

Just tell him how you feel. Tell him to find a solution, or it won't work. If it does work, just get married!
Original post by Redfrost
Don't call him, start doing your own thing and distance yourself a little see how he responds. It sounds like he is taking it for granted you being there for him without him having to invest much of his time in you. So perhaps distance yourself a little and see if he responds/pays more attention. Actions speak louder than words.

Thanks, that's what I'm going to do.

Something similar happened with my exes, I'm just so scared of being needy, because I hate that, that boy's just think they can take the piss basically.
Original post by RiahDawson
He's just busy I guess. if you're not happy about the way things are try talking to him and if it doesn't work out then break up. Though if he's working and busy he can't reply to you fast and not everyone is a morning person. "Probably" sees his friends more than you. You're making assumptions. Go talk to him.

Okay, thanks.
I can strongly relate to this, OP.

I was in a relationship with my ex for over a year. When we first met, he tried so hard to make me his gf and I eventually agreed.

He created his own business with a partner, and because my ex is an extreme workaholic and terrible at communicating, his business partner left him.

My ex and I used to go to beautiful places together and spent a lot of quality time. However, as soon as his business became successful, he had less time for me and "pushed" me to the corner.

He made no time for me and there were times where he will neglect me completely and not talk to me at all.

He would always say "I don't have time".

I even help him out with the work load to get some time together, but it just wasnt enough.

Everytime we have a conversation, he will talk about work and never about something else.

All the managers and family members told him that he needs time to relax and focus on other things.

He would work consistently and won't get back until the next day or 11pm latest.

After a while, I got fed up and eventually left him because it feels like he gave up on the relationship, doesn't care about me or willing to cut down on his obsessive workaholic life style. I couldn't take it anymore, he made me feel unhappy and on top of that, he was abusing my emotions and mentality.

Now, I've been focusing on myself and catching up on lost time. I feel like a heavy load has been lifted, and I feel free.

If you feel that nothing's going to change anytime soon, then you don't have to stay for the sake of having a relationship.

Talk to him first, and if it gets out of hand, there's nothing wrong with walking away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending