Zeus and Ganymede

Watch
ExcitedPup
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I saw this beautiful Thorvaldsen sculpture, and had to share it. For those of you who don't know the story, Zeus was flying around ancient Greece and he saw an astonishingly beautiful lad, called Ganymede tending a flock of sheep. A smitten Zeus himself into an eagle, zoomed down and abducted him, took him back to Mount Olympus, made him his cupbearer and conferred on him eternal youth. The episode is sometimes called the Rape of Ganymede, perhaps in the old sense rapine (meaning plunder; ganymede was plundered from his father), but there is something violent or coercive about Zeus' actions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganymede_(mythology)#Myth

This Thorvaldsen sculpture almost turns that on its head, and creates something that bespeaks tenderness, compassion. I find it deeply moving, personally. What say ye?

Judge Jasel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I like it. I'm guessing Zeus's iteration here is that eagle? I mean, I won't comment on the mythology because I have zero experience with Greek mythology. But from a pure artistic standpoint, it is really captivating, expertly sculpted too. And from what you mentioned about the myth, I think the sculpture portrays that rather well.
ExcitedPup
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Judge Jasel)
I like it. I'm guessing Zeus's iteration here is that eagle? I mean, I won't comment on the mythology because I have zero experience with Greek mythology. But from a pure artistic standpoint, it is really captivating, expertly sculpted too. And from what you mentioned about the myth, I think the sculpture portrays that rather well.
Indeed, Zeus is the eagle. And absolutely re expertly sculpted, Thorvaldsen is awesome in that respect.

What I love about the sculpture is that the underlying myth is a little bit sordid and unpleasant, and Zeus is the dominant/dominating character. Whereas the sculpture almost reverses that, instead of sexual lust and abduction, it's wholesome, tender, both characters are on an equal level (if anything, Ganymede is slightly taller), Ganymede has compassion for the eagle (i.e. feeding him water because he is thirsty)

And you can see a degree of curiosity from Ganymede, he is tender towards the eagle, but also curious about the beast. I love it, I found it very moving
Judge Jasel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ExcitedPup)
Indeed, Zeus is the eagle. And absolutely re expertly sculpted, Thorvaldsen is awesome in that respect.

What I love about the sculpture is that the underlying myth is a little bit sordid and unpleasant, and Zeus is the dominant/dominating character. Whereas the sculpture almost reverses that, instead of sexual lust and abduction, it's wholesome, tender, both characters are on an equal level (if anything, Ganymede is slightly taller), Ganymede has compassion for the eagle (i.e. feeding him water because he is thirsty)

And you can see a degree of curiosity from Ganymede, he is tender towards the eagle, but also curious about the beast. I love it, I found it very moving
I couldn't agree with your description any better. I still see elements of Zeus's animosity. After all, an eagle is a bird of prey.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (700)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (880)
42.64%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
18.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed