The Student Room Group

Should tube workers go on strike?

This poll is closed

Should tube workers and rail staff strike?

Yes 36%
No64%
Total votes: 14
Soon, the tube strikes began, and the BBC have already reported that there are major delays on multiple lines! Tomorrow, there may be no tube services at all!

FGW Staff are also going to be striking from about 5-10 minutes for up to 48 hours!

The tube strikes are in protest against the all night services which are meant to be coming soon - should tube workers and rail staff be striking?

Read more about this here!
Reply 1
Depends on what you think valid reasons for striking are. If you feel it's a legitimate way to get paid more then sure, they should strike (or threaten to strike) as much as possible to get more money. However, given that they are paid more than most, and are also mostly being paid by those who earn less than them, I don't think they have any justification to strike unless "MOAR MONEY!!!!" is their sole consideration.

Basically, they're entitled to be selfish, but don't pretend it's about anything more than that.
Original post by Hopple
Depends on what you think valid reasons for striking are. If you feel it's a legitimate way to get paid more then sure, they should strike (or threaten to strike) as much as possible to get more money. However, given that they are paid more than most, and are also mostly being paid by those who earn less than them, I don't think they have any justification to strike unless "MOAR MONEY!!!!" is their sole consideration.

Basically, they're entitled to be selfish, but don't pretend it's about anything more than that.

I kind of agree with you, but then at the same time, I feel that corporations should be able to pay what they want (above min wage of course) and if the workers don't like that, then they quit... If enough quit, the wages will increase anyway so the operators get more workers... If it gets to the point where no one is budging, then maybe time for some gov intervention, but i just find striking stupid and selfish...
they have every right to. Provide more buses. And businesses should be proactive. Encourage carpooling, hire minibuses to drop people off and to work.
The drivers get paid more than enough, £49,673 a year! That's nearly double the average uk salary, £26,000.
they have the right to, but they shouldn't
Original post by darthentantius
they have every right to. Provide more buses. And businesses should be proactive. Encourage carpooling, hire minibuses to drop people off and to work.

Or, as their right, they should quit if they don't think their work is worth the pay...
Reply 7
They should damn well serve the consumer by working nights or get the sack and be replaced by people who will. There are plenty of Eastern Europeans happy to do the job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending