itsConnor_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

I am currently deciding whether to drop English literature or Geography in September and geography is not inspiring much confidence in me atm...

I thoroughly enjoyed unit 1, especially the physical geography topics such as climate change and natural hazards (major part of the course). As far as I am concerned there is no real physical geography on the A2 course (Edexcel) apart from in unit 4. However, my teacher has chosen the 6th option for unit 4 - leisure and tourism (don't even get me started...)

So, can anyone tell me what physical geography is in unit 3?

Many thanks.
Kash24411
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by itsConnor_)
Hello,

I am currently deciding whether to drop English literature or Geography in September and geography is not inspiring much confidence in me atm...

I thoroughly enjoyed unit 1, especially the physical geography topics such as climate change and natural hazards (major part of the course). As far as I am concerned there is no real physical geography on the A2 course (Edexcel) apart from in unit 4. However, my teacher has chosen the 6th option for unit 4 - leisure and tourism (don't even get me started...)

So, can anyone tell me what physical geography is in unit 3?

Many thanks.
Edexcel A2 Geography got extremely interesting. I was exactly like you when studying AS Geography as i just liked the physical side of things, however unit 3 changed my perception.

I will be honest with you and say there is not much physical Geography in A2 Geography apart from Unit 4 where you get the choice ( should have the choice) of choosing physical topics such as tectonic hazards which i did. Im actually quite surprised your teacher chose it for you, you will be the one doing majority if not all of the research and work, are you sure it's not possible to change the option for unit 4?

Im not sure if you have seen the syllabus for unit 3 but it looks at current global events such as Energy security, Water security, Biodiversity and other topics such as development gap, superpowers and technological fix and i found every topic to be very interesting to learn about and made me become even more passionate about Geography, especially the human side. I could give you a brief outline of each topic if you want.

Overall there is not much physical geography mainly because unit 3 takes up most of the course, however that's not to say you won't enjoy learning about it.
itsConnor_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kash24411)
Edexcel A2 Geography got extremely interesting. I was exactly like you when studying AS Geography as i just liked the physical side of things, however unit 3 changed my perception.

I will be honest with you and say there is not much physical Geography in A2 Geography apart from Unit 4 where you get the choice ( should have the choice) of choosing physical topics such as tectonic hazards which i did. Im actually quite surprised your teacher chose it for you, you will be the one doing majority if not all of the research and work, are you sure it's not possible to change the option for unit 4?

Im not sure if you have seen the syllabus for unit 3 but it looks at current global events such as Energy security, Water security, Biodiversity and other topics such as development gap, superpowers and technological fix and i found every topic to be very interesting to learn about and made me become even more passionate about Geography, especially the human side. I could give you a brief outline of each topic if you want.

Overall there is not much physical geography mainly because unit 3 takes up most of the course, however that's not to say you won't enjoy learning about it.
Thanks for the response.

Regarding unit 4: we are going to be going on a field trip to the Lake District in November to (I assume) collect data/research for the exam, based around option 6. Does this make it very difficult to self-study a different option unless I planned my own field trip?
Kash24411
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the response.

Regarding unit 4: we are going to be going on a field trip to the Lake District in November to (I assume) collect data/research for the exam, based around option 6. Does this make it very difficult to self-study a different option unless I planned my own field trip?
You're welcome.

I didn't go on any field trips, though our teacher was planning to visit an Iceland volcano which would have been amazing.
To answer your question you do not need to go on a field trip, id imagine your class is going on that field trip to simply gain a better understanding of the topic etc. But you will most likely not use that information in the exam unless it will be directly linked to the pre-release.
I don't think it's very difficult at all to self study a topic in unit 4, especially once the pre-release comes out you can do specified research into that area.

However what i did find useful from my teacher was he did help us get started by giving us revision packs and different EQ sections to research (which should be in your text book for edexcel).
itsConnor_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kash24411)
You're welcome.

I didn't go on any field trips, though our teacher was planning to visit an Iceland volcano which would have been amazing.
To answer your question you do not need to go on a field trip, id imagine your class is going on that field trip to simply gain a better understanding of the topic etc. But you will most likely not use that information in the exam unless it will be directly linked to the pre-release.
I don't think it's very difficult at all to self study a topic in unit 4, especially once the pre-release comes out you can do specified research into that area.

However what i did find useful from my teacher was he did help us get started by giving us revision packs and different EQ sections to research (which should be in your text book for edexcel).
Thanks. So, in your lessons what did you do exactly? Assuming everyone chose their option, did you spend your unit 4 lessons in the library researching your option? How did you teach yourself your option? Textbooks?
Kash24411
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks. So, in your lessons what did you do exactly? Assuming everyone chose their option, did you spend your unit 4 lessons in the library researching your option? How did you teach yourself your option? Textbooks?
Yeah most unit 4 based lessons were spent in the college library, we had access to journals, textbooks and computers so plenty of research was done in that time. My teacher would also set tasks to help us research at home.

We started the research after Christmas and it was broad research up until the pre-release where once i knew the exact area to focus on, i started to gather reliable sources and we started to get prepared for the exam around this time. I made myself a revision pack and just remembered the key facts and figures about different case studies plus practiced lots of reports in lessons.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (13)
39.39%
I really love the subject (10)
30.3%