Has Discrimination gone positive?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Nita
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
...I can honestly say that there was a time that the colour of a persons skin didn't bother me. Lately however I am wishing more and more that I was a black disabled lesbian, as it seems that that more opportunities exist if you are either black, Gay or disabled....If however you are all 3 it appears you can make it right to the top!!!

Why does it seem that there are people actively trying to recruit the so called minority groups, even going so far as lowering entrance standards...eg Police, Over seas Nurse recruitment? It was stated the other night in the news that in an area of London you are more likely to be stopped on suspician of committing a crime if you are black...On further investigation from a black reporter it was found that 70% of residents in that area were in fact...Black!!!

Will someone tell me whats going on?
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Even if there were 'more oppertunities', which there wouldn't be considering many/most jobs are not suited/available to those with mental/physical disabilities...being disabled is not something to desire
tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Egan1
Even if there were 'more oppertunities', which there wouldn't be considering many/most jobs are not suited/available to those with mental/physical disabilities...being disabled is not something to desire
nor is it something to joke about. maybe employers are beginning to employ more minority groups because they have realised that diversity is an important tool for success. maybe you should concentrate more on improving your own CV before you start complaining about other people.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was not meaning to cross off her opinion...I agree with you that she has made a good point in many aspects...

Although as I said...disabled people will generally be restricted in their job oppertunities etc due to their physical/mental state and therefor perhaps this wasn't the best minority group to include for making this point
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I agree totally although I have benefited from positive discrimination in the past and probably will in the future. I completely jumped the waiting list for a job because the employer thought I was of an ethnic minority. Plus I've heard of a bursary for black women law graduates which I might apply for after my degree. Its totally stupid and I hate that we live in a world that's so politically sensitive. People should be hired or whatever purely on merit and not to fill some quota.
tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Leekey
I don't think she meant to be offensive to minority groups or make light of the problems faced by disabled people
ok then...

Lately however I am wishing more and more that I was a black disabled lesbian, as it seems that that more opportunities exist if you are either black, Gay or disabled....If however you are all 3 it appears you can make it right to the top!!!
if that is not offensive or making light of problems posed by disability, what is? i agree that discrimination is swinging the other way and the phrase "politically correct" is fast becoming ridiculous but what she wrote above is offensive.
Nita
Originally posted by tagzt
ok then...

if that is not offensive or making light of problems posed by disability, what is? i agree that discrimination is swinging the other way and the phrase "politically correct" is fast becoming ridiculous but what she wrote above is offensive.

If I offended anyone I'm truly sorry...The amuzing point is I am in fact black!!!!!! I was indeed trying to make an honest point and I'm thankful that some people have appreciated that.

Sorry my CV isn't up to much....I could always post my professional one and see if you like that any better!
Nita
OK......so the above post has official screwed tagzt argument that the post was offensive to the people mentioned.
Oye Leekey....'ang on, I said I was black...not disabled (thankfully) and not indeed lesbian...But Ta for your support, I think I was being a tad mis-interpreted!
x
tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Paradoxically (think thats the term) I would say:

If you consider the original post offensive then clearly I have just offended every "healthy white hetrosexual" person in the nation.
why don't you try and think before you post? in the original post Nita wrote that she wishes she was more and more disabled.

Lately however I am wishing more and more that I was a black disabled lesbian.

now there are disabled people in the world who wake up every single day feeling they are trapped in a living hell because they cannot hear or see or fully control their bodies. imagine a healthy person walking up to someone in a wheelchair and saying "i wish i was more like you", can you seriously try and say that would not be offensive to the person in the wheelchair?

now lets look at your quite laughable argument, the person in the wheelchair says "i wish i was more like you" to the healthy person, such a comment would cause no offence to either party. i never said that Nita was trying to deliberately cause offence to anyone, all i am saying is that she should have considered her words before posting them. the argument she was actually presenting was a good one.

leekey, try and engage brain first next time.
tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think majority of disabled people (based on the ones that I know personally only, so you could argue that it is limited) do not wake up in the morning manically derpessed. They do not view themselves as inferior to others, it is the narrow minded "I understand them without ever having to meet them" people that implant inferiority complexes in the minds of disabled people the world over.

I for one would never want a disabled person to say that they wanted to be "more like" someone else. You must surely understand that the majority of disabled people are comfortable with themselves and have no overpowering desire to "more like" anyone else.

Could you please refrain from insulting me and anyone else on the board with ignorant suggestions like "engage your brain". It just devalues your argument and thus detracts from you credibility. If you would like to play childish insult games then I'll give you my hotmail address.
read my post again, i said "some disabled people" i.e. those still coming to terms with their disability. of course a disabled person will learn to adjust to their disability after a while but that will never stop them wishing they were not disabled.

and how did you manage to bring "inferiority" into this? i never said a disabled person is inferior to a healthy person, all i said is that they wish they did not have their disability. what do you mean when you say you would never want a disabled person to say they "wish they were more like someone else"? do you honestly believe that a blind person does not wish they were like someone who had a healthy pair of eyes on a purely physical level? i am not disabled but i'd be willing to bet that any disabled person wishes they were healthy, not so they can feel "superior" or become "accepted" by society but so they can experience things that their disability prevents them from doing e.g. walking or hearing

the purpose of a discussion forum is to express your opinion and if i feel you should think harder before you post i will say so. i am not personally insulting you nor am i being childish, i am only expressing my opinion.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
Inferiority is clearly related to the issue! If someone would like to be "more like" someone else then clearly they must feel that the characteristic they desire that the other person posseses is better than the one that they have.

I think that suggesting that anyone should "engage their brain" is classified as an insult. For you to deny that is......

I have no interest in continuing a conversation with anyone who will hide behind the "its only an opinion" statement. This is a poor way of allowing yourself the right to insult someone.
tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Inferiority is clearly related to the issue! If someone would like to be "more like" someone else then clearly they must feel that the characteristic they desire that the other person posseses is better than the one that they have.
A pair of healthy eyes is more desirable/better than a pair of blind eyes!! A disabled person is "inferior" to a healthy person ONLY on a physical level, that fact cannot be disputed. However this is the only level on which they are inferior, in terms of emotions, thoughts and as people a disabled person is just as equal if not superior in some cases to a healthy person. the way you are trying to bring in inferiority to this issue has no relevance at all.

everything posted in this or any other forum is an opinion, some you will agree with, some you will disagree with and some you may find offensive or insulting. if you can't accept this then fine but accept that the only person being childish here is you.
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Fair point about the potential offense in the statement by Nita, but I don't see why the complaint was posted so many times.

Anyway, I think, like Toyosi said, positive discrimination does good things by bringing balance to a previously imbalanced employment process. It's pathetic though, that it seems in some places the point is still missed. The purpose is not to positively or negatively discriminate but not do discriminate at all. To judge applicants on their relevant (work-related) qualities alone, without at the same time worrying about fulfilling quotas. We're a long way past the times where colour, non-work-related 'capabilities' and gender were the predominant qualities considered for job applications. We're still very far though from the times where only qualities relevant to the work are considered in the application.
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There is a need for positive descrimination. Equal opportunities for all is vital in today's society with a very diverse array of individuals from differing social classes and backgrounds.

However, there comes a point at which positive descrimination will become adversely effective - a line which must not be overstepped.

This measure simply aims to relinquish equality in society, and managed carefully can be a very beneficial measure for all.
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i see no point in actively trying to employ ethnic minorities to do jobs, who perhaps are not as well trained. The person who gets the job should be the person best suited for it.

All of this discrimination thing is taking the absolute piss now. I read in the sunday mirror about this manager in lego land who sued for discrimination because they made a model for him with his arm in a bandage. They gave it to him for recognition of his work, now he is in line for £k's in compensation. They shouldn't have bothered to start with.
tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by rIcHrD
Fair point about the potential offense in the statement by Nita, but I don't see why the complaint was posted so many times.
because some people keep trying to deny it could cause any offence!

as an ethnic minority, i feel that positive discrimination is a good thing to an extent. however it can go to far, for example i recently went to south africa and the general feeling amongst both the white and black communities is that during apartheid blacks were discrimianted against horribly but in order to compensate, more and more white job candidates are being rejected in order to appoint more black people.

personally i cannot see there ever being a time when people are treated entirely by their mental qualities and not their physical appearance as sad as that sounds.
No-one
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
tagzt,

like all things...if you are benefiting from something, you often want it kept the way it is.
In reality this PC system of facist behaviour is restricting many people from certain employment.
They are removing people's identity and are attempting to portray the UK is a multicultural heaven... which i'm afraid to say it is not. Having to write 'white' on hundreds of forms is just their way of removing our herritage. Why can't we be known as anglo-saxon or other - and don't tell me people don't know, because we can all be educated about it all.
Anyways thats my little rant over btw, don't worry, i will fix these problems sooner or later.
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Though I can see why some might argue that since previously there was such a large amount of discrimination against ethnic minorities, which needless to say is upsetting. However, I don't believe that just because say one ethnic minority was discriminated against in the past, all the other ethnic races should suffer. Effectively, today discrimination is used to fix discrimintaion, which I am totally against, people should be judged as individuals, as after all, skin is but a collection of cells. In discriminating in favour of groups which have previously been discriminated against, society is in effect trying to say that 2 wrongs can make a wright!!!!
I think its time society learns to ignore skin colour, etc, and just take account of an individuals personal characteristics!!

Phil
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i applied for a job this summer - as a play scheme worker.

i was turned down because i was white and female. they didnt actually write this, because then i could sue them, but they did nicely put it that they are an "equal opertunities company" and have filled they're quota, and are seeking more "ethnic minoritie workers".

now i live in an area, with little if any black people. i know a few asians around but they all either own shops or resturants and therefor obviously havnt applied for the job i wanted.

so baisicly they are now going to be under staffed this summer- because they wouldnt give me the job because im white.

now to me thats stoopid. im not saying that i should have an other persons job, but i know there are vacancies and i think we should all have an equal chance, they shouldnt put the tick the race box on the form.

love Katy ***
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by No-one
tagzt,
i will fix these problems sooner or later.
Which problems were you refering to? Or do you mean that it is your plan to rid the world of discriminative problems? *I feel I have missed a post?*

Originally posted by PHIL

I think its time society learns to ignore skin colour, etc, and just take account of an individuals personal characteristics!!
All in an ideal world...*sigh*
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.36%
No (596)
65.64%

Watched Threads