Has Discrimination gone positive?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
I am now at the point where I dont really care. I have prepared myself for the "worst case scenario (i.e. all U's) and adjusted to the fact that I can do retakes.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
P2, P3 and S2 (I think)
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
its 4 weeks 2morw??????? i thought there was still bout 6 weeks to go.......

love Katy ***
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
14th August I think sweetie.
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's kinda getting closer albeit really slowly. Leekey, what you gonna drop?

Phil
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i know its aug 14th, but im ignoring the days that are flying by and still hoping were in june!!

love Katy ***
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I just want to get our results so I can stop worrying, and know which Unis to look at

Phil
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
I don't think Im gonna drop anything. I am looking to take advantage of a loophole in the UCAS points system.

This is a quote from an E-mail from the head of admissions at Reading - "If we make a conditional offer based on the UCAS points scheme, then we must take into account all UCAS point obtained by the applicant. The only exception to this would be the points obtained from a subject which we have previously stated that we do not accept as part of an offer.".

This basically means that if I do more subjects then I will amass more UCAS points therefore it is easier to get into Reading (my 1st choice).

If I was forced to drop something then I would definitley drop Electronics!!!
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did that at GCSE, and was thinking of doing it for AS, but realised I absolutely hated it. How is it for AS?

Phil
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
The material is pretty easy but the tests are incredibly unfair. They deliberately combine topics that have no relevance to each other in an attempt to screw you up.

This year we were asked to develop a "game show" buzzer system. This is easy until they list a bunch of stipulations that you must meet and then you are really screwed when they force you into using the things they like. I really hated this becuase it does not test your knowledge, it tests your creativity and design technique. I always thought that was what coursework was for??
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's the reason why I dropped it, as I was alright at the actual subject, but there was too much drawing, and I can't draw for ****. It was almost entirely art with very little actually electronics.

Phil
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think reading offred me points, but i think they said including 3 alevels. so its best to do as many subjects as poss, but remeber if you get an a at as but drop to an e at a level - your droping in points, instead you could keep your as and start a new as which, being easier, would give you more points for less work.

love Katy ***
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Are you sure you're allowed to do this? Also, Alevels are also important later on in life when getting a job etc. so it would probably look kinda wierd on your CV, if you did no A2's but just a whole bunch of random ASs

Phil
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
I have heard of offers which stated that they must be from a certain number of AS's but I think Reading are more likely to say that they would prefer all grades to be in the A-C range rather than asking for 3 A-levels.

If I do very badly in any of my subjects (excluing maths because I need it on my Uni App) then I will be disaggrigating them and retaking the AS alongside the A2. I heard that you can just put a comment on your application saying that "I have taken some [insert subject name here] modules and am currently working towards an A-level in this subject".
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's a pretty good idea.

Phil
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
I am good friends with my careers tutor and he told me about how you can "alter" your application to make yourself look better. Although he also said that it doesn't usaullly work with OxBridge becuase of the whole screening process.

What other Uni's are you considering / did you consider (to Katy and PHIL).
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Here's where I'd love to go, but probably won't get in:
1.Oxford,
2. LSE
3.King's
4. Warwick
5.Southampton
6.Oxford Brookes (I could always drop the brookes on my CV, and it's pretty easy to get into)
How about you

Phil
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i applied for durham(twice), reading, york, keele.

got rejected once by durham and turned reading, york and keele down!

love Katy ***
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So where you hoping to get into??

Phil
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
I haven't got set in stone choices yet but these are my ideas.

1) Nottingham (I am dreaming if I think I will get the grades though)
2) Reading (Good Uni & Great Area / Campus)
3) Lancaster (Like the place & rated good for Comp Sci.)
4) Keele (Decent Uni & Local)
5) Loughbrough (Nice campus and a friend is doing the course now says its ace)
6) NO IDEA!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (294)
34.23%
No (565)
65.77%

Watched Threads