The Student Room Group

GCSE Options Update

Hey guys

I've decided which subjects to take for GCSE. I don't have a career or job in mind, although I'd like to go into English or computers. Maybe stuff like a journalist, author and games designer.

I selected ICT, French, and History- along with double science (I think it's called Additional Science now because you complete one GCSE in Year 10 and a separate one the following year).

If I had to choose my A-levels now, I would pick English, ICT and Physics- although I can see myself leaning towards Biology instead.

Any thoughts on my choices would be greatly appreciated, and I would love some advice from anyone who is/has studied any of the same subjects as me.

Thanks a lot :P
Original post by sp77
Hey guys

I've decided which subjects to take for GCSE. I don't have a career or job in mind, although I'd like to go into English or computers. Maybe stuff like a journalist, author and games designer.

I selected ICT, French, and History- along with double science (I think it's called Additional Science now because you complete one GCSE in Year 10 and a separate one the following year).

If I had to choose my A-levels now, I would pick English, ICT and Physics- although I can see myself leaning towards Biology instead.

Any thoughts on my choices would be greatly appreciated, and I would love some advice from anyone who is/has studied any of the same subjects as me.

Thanks a lot :P

I dropped history cause i found it very boring and unapplied to real life. What English do you want to do at A-Level? Language or Literature?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LuiEmmitt
I dropped history cause i found it very boring and unapplied to real life. What English do you want to do at A-Level? Language or Literature?

Probably English language. I think that's the one that focuses on the language of English itself and creating pieces of writing (e.g. creative writing, formal letters). Is that right?

As for History, my school have quite an interesting line-up of topics (imo):
1) How the USA changed in the 20th century
2) The Russian revolution
3) China under Mao Zeng

We also have a look at Britain's role in the two World Wars, and how they changed the country.

So hopefully I will keep my interest in History :P
Original post by sp77
Probably English language. I think that's the one that focuses on the language of English itself and creating pieces of writing (e.g. creative writing, formal letters). Is that right?

As for History, my school have quite an interesting line-up of topics (imo):
1) How the USA changed in the 20th century
2) The Russian revolution
3) China under Mao Zeng

We also have a look at Britain's role in the two World Wars, and how they changed the country.

So hopefully I will keep my interest in History :P

Yeh English Language is the one which focuses on the language, adverts, images, styles of writing, creative writing etc. Literature is the analysis and comparison of texts (novels, prose, poetry and drama's)

I like Literature better. Your history sounds more interning than mine. More modern stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest