Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can we go round psychoanalysing people? :marchmell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    can we go round psychoanalysing people? :marchmell
    Errrr...

Saiyamana, do you do psychology and if so at what level? If you don't do it why do you want to be a member? (Of course you can be just wondering )

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing mine at A level and I have to say when I went to the induction day it was the most interesting thing!

ReputationRep:
    It really is It gets so much better throughout the year. I think I enjoyed second year so much more especially the approaches..

Little warning thou, Never let your teacher psychoanalyse your dreams if there talking about freuds sexual signs. My dream about people breaking my shoes turned extremely wrong if you get my drift, and my teacher thought it was hillarious.

But First year is full of wickedy lil experiemnts on each other like conditioning, and memory tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bohogirlie)
    Errrr...

Saiyamana, do you do psychology and if so at what level? If you don't do it why do you want to be a member? (Of course you can be just wondering )
    just finished AS Psychology, lol sorry, ill refrain from confusing you in the future :p: Hopefully i also got an A, the exams were too easy! memorising 20 core studies! *yawns*

Soo then, lets get down to business,

Nature or Nurture?

Nativist or Behavourist?

ReputationRep:
    just finished AS Psychology, lol sorry, ill refrain from confusing you in the future :p: Hopefully i also got an A, the exams were too easy! memorising 20 core studies! *yawns*

Nature or Nurture?

Nativist or Behavourist?
    Both Nature and Nurture...

and I'm unfamiliar with what the second ones are... ?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm Im Definately Nature and Nuture, My view on topics such as mental illnesses is the Diathesis-stress model that we have both things in your nature and genes, but that nuture - such as enviroment is a trigger. So in reflection of life I beleive we arent born as blank slates like Locke says but with a hard wiring of innate behaviours, which over time adapt and evolve with Nutural means and envirometnal progression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Both Nature and Nurture...

and I'm unfamiliar with what the second ones are... ?
    ahh cool,

the second ones are (i think) Nativist = nature, and behaviourist is basically nurture....

Did i put up the pictures of the monkeys? We went to chester zoo recently to study animal behaviour (well it was quite sad as we were briefed on all 30 of their names.... lol), the keepers threw food into the water, and the monkeys used a twig to fish it out (tools! - OC, SL). Remarkable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    It really is It gets so much better throughout the year. I think I enjoyed second year so much more especially the approaches..

Little warning thou, Never let your teacher psychoanalyse your dreams if there talking about freuds sexual signs. My dream about people breaking my shoes turned extremely wrong if you get my drift, and my teacher thought it was hillarious.

But First year is full of wickedy lil experiemnts on each other like conditioning, and memory tests.
    I liked the first year, twas very simple and straight forward and covered a wide range of topics Second year was just as good, i really enjoyed doing coursework, especially as mine was so different from everyone elses. I didn't really enjoy approaches as much as the other modules although its interesting to say why someone behaves the way they do in terms of a approach. I enjoyed pro and anti social behaviour and treatments, didn't enjoy relationships as much although i think thats because of the teacher i had.

ReputationRep:

Nature or Nurture?

Nativist or Behavourist?
    Nature and nurture, i'm not quite sure about the second one... :confused:

So to expand on the nature/nurture thing, do you think that people are born evil or events and people in their lives shape them to behave in a certain way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bohogirlie)
    Nature and nurture, i'm not quite sure about the second one... :confused:

So to expand on the nature/nurture thing, do you think that people are born evil or events and people in their lives shape them to behave in a certain way?
    Oh yeah totally they get shaped. No one's born evil I mean that's just osmething used in movies (i.e. I have a giant laser ray and I will blow up the world (without a purpose, and thus killing myself))!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AATTMM)
    Anyway I've got an idea for the revived PsychSoc - we could build a small team of "panelists" or something and if anyone has a quick question about a specific study or need help with defining a key term etc etc. then they can ask in here and get a decent answer .
    oooh can i be a 'panelist' ?!

ReputationRep:
    umm, where did your post go, AATTMM?

ReputationRep:
    new comer here :hello:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlpants)
    hey! :hello: welcome to the best dam society on TSR!

Can anyone provide some help, must write a report on Altruism demonstrated in animals, need examples really.... i can only think of the meerkats (sp?), who take it in turns to keep an eye out for predators, and basically 'sacrificing' themselves to predators for the benefit of the group.

ReputationRep:
    Arent you In Luck.. I did Animal Behaviour this year. Are yuo going for Crebbs and Davies explanations of Altruism? Because for that I.e
    Kin Selection (Gene protection) - Haplodiplody in bees - Eusocial insects - They share 100% genes and risk there lives for each other in order to protect the survival of genes,
    Also there is a squirrel study Sherman (1977) that when they were approached by a predator more likely to give alarm calls when close to a relative rather than no relatives in the area
    Hoogland (1993) alarm calls with black-tailed prrarie dogs - female calls dependent on wether there offspring were present or not.

Reciprocal Altruism - Packers Baboons and howweaker males would not get chance to mate with female as they would be guarded. But two subordinate primates could distract one and then mate and then reciprocate the favour.
    Wilkinson (1984) Vampire Bats - seperated individuals from bat group taken away and starved. When they returned another Bat would regurgitate food for them,.. Then when that bat was taken away the same bat reciprocated the favour.

Mutualism (Helping each other at same time) Packer et al (1991) Groups would share responsibilities of defending females.

Manipulation - Cuckoo lays its egg in another host nest and so they will raise there offspring beleiving it is there own.

Hope that Helps. (If you need anymore info on them Pm me.. I think some have percentages and some evaluation points.)

ReputationRep:
    oooh very helpful, thanks... ill look up some of the studies you mentioned and include them in the report. Thanks!

Will rep you asap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlpants)
    Welcome :hello:

ReputationRep:
    Sign me up? I've to come to woo the whole of the society! :date:

ReputationRep:
    Bonjour Ee are in throws of new leadership debates so Just start posting

Woo? Does this mean you give us chocolates? you romantic you.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.