Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just been watching the news, and was just wondering, why are people risking their own safety just to send out a message that 'we are not afraid'? I'm not saying its bad, but using the cost-reward model, the costs could be serious injury/death, the rewards.... well not too sure about the rewards... but it still seems strange to me. What are the possible outcomes of this 'we are not afraid' campaign?

Like the Meerkats, who take it in turns to act as a sentry, they risk their lives to save others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    Just been watching the news, and was just wondering, why are people risking their own safety just to send out a message that 'we are not afraid'? I'm not saying its bad, but using the cost-reward model, the costs could be serious injury/death, the rewards.... well not too sure about the rewards... but it still seems strange to me. What are the possible outcomes of this 'we are not afraid' campaign?

Like the Meerkats, who take it in turns to act as a sentry, they risk their lives to save others.
    Perhaps the benfits could be that terroists realise that we are not afraid and give up? :confused: The rewards could also be that we are more united as a nation (note the 'we' in 'we are not afraid'. I don't know really.

There was a bit in 'The Times' this morning about this, i think, written by a psychologist at UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe by telling others that they're not afraid they are convincing themselves that they're not afraid?

Perhaps they are reinforced by the media attention, and by the 'survival stories' that we've been hearing from people involved in the bombings, and therefore feel that they can be safe if they follow their examples? :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i think i've added everyone to the members list, if i haven't just post here and i'll do it ASAP

I think we should try and get a symbol to get ourselfs noticed, so if anyone has any good ones, post them here and then when we have enough i'll do a poll!

ReputationRep:
    meeeeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    meeeeee
    Oopsies! Will add you now!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and if everyone who is a memeber could add us to their signature that would be great!

ReputationRep:
    I did darlen - just for you :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...11&postcount=1

this post on General Discussion, any truth in it do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose thats kinda like the whole nature/nurture argument.

ReputationRep:
    Saiyamana, are you doing coursework for A2?

If so, what are you doing it on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bohogirlie)
    Saiyamana, are you doing coursework for A2?

If so, what are you doing it on?
    havent started A2 yet... just finished AS, ad awaiting the results which will be here August the something.

But i dont know what to do it on yet, dont really like coursework in A-level as it's very restricted and you cant really study a cutting edge topic. According to my teacher we will be given a choice of some past courseworks people have done and we have to pick/modify one of them :bawling:. If so, ill prob do it on Football, and either why teams at home perform better, or the influence of team colours on performance. What did you do for A2?

ReputationRep:
    havent started A2 yet... just finished AS, ad awaiting the results which will be here August the something.

But i dont know what to do it on yet, dont really like coursework in A-level as it's very restricted and you cant really study a cutting edge topic. According to my teacher we will be given a choice of some past courseworks people have done and we have to pick/modify one of them :bawling:. If so, ill prob do it on Football, and either why teams at home perform better, or the influence of team colours on performance. What did you do for A2?
    I don't think its particuarly restricted. My coursework was on gender differences in thought control techniques, so it was interlinked with depression, LOC and stuff like that. It was hard, but really interesting, really enjoyed doing it. Most people did memory tests of stuff to do with the halo effect, but i decided to do something completely different. My teacher says i could use it for my first year project as it was degree standard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bohogirlie)
    I don't think its particuarly restricted. My coursework was on gender differences in thought control techniques, so it was interlinked with depression, LOC and stuff like that. It was hard, but really interesting, really enjoyed doing it. Most people did memory tests of stuff to do with the halo effect, but i decided to do something completely different. My teacher says i could use it for my first year project as it was degree standard!
    LOL, thats sounds so complicated! wow, really was it that good?! degree standard... wow! i'm probs the 'psychology genius' in our year and my god i couldn't think of that! cool. Though, i prefer social psychology (yes i'm quite the behaviourist too ). Any ideas what i could do for A2 coursework, based around social psychology, i have no idea what would seem good, and unique.

ReputationRep:
    I was extremely bring with my experiment - I did schemas :boring: , yours sounds so unusual!!!
    We were told that we should only really do memory coz anything else interferes with ethical guidelines, but I think that was just rubbish that she told us so it was easy to mark!

ReputationRep:
    LOL, thats sounds so complicated! wow, really was it that good?! degree standard... wow! i'm probs the 'psychology genius' in our year and my god i couldn't think of that! cool. Though, i prefer social psychology (yes i'm quite the behaviourist too ). Any ideas what i could do for A2 coursework, based around social psychology, i have no idea what would seem good, and unique.
    I didn't think of it all by myself! I wanted to do something to do with stress and sleep/dream patterns first of all and then me and the person i worked with talked to our teacher over a period of time and then she found the 'thought control questionnaire' which is what we gave to our participants. I've attatched the abstract so you can see the overview of it all.

Social psychology? Hmmm...there is so much you could do. The first things that spring to mind is stuff like conformity/minority influence etc. I don't know what you could do straight off i'll have to have a think.

Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc Psychology CW - Abstract.doc (19.5 KB, 95 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Raven~)
    I was extremely bring with my experiment - I did schemas :boring: , yours sounds so unusual!!!
    We were told that we should only really do memory coz anything else interferes with ethical guidelines, but I think that was just rubbish that she told us so it was easy to mark!
    Loads of people in my year did stuff with memory too. Its simple and theres loads of past research on it. That was probably the most difficult thing about mine - finding background research as my topic was so specific! My teachers recommended that we do something simple so its easy, as it doesn't have to be complicated to get full marks. I just decided to do something different and i worked hard at it. There were times when me and my teacher used to sit down and be really confused by my study! But i got there in the end and really enjoyed doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas what i could do for A2 coursework, based around social psychology, i have no idea what would seem good, and unique.
    One of my cherubs (so not unique, by definition, but hey-hum) did a spin on the conformity-type practical by looking at linguistic divergence and convergence. Basically, he's observed participants talking to one person with a fairly neutral accent and another with a strong manc accent (his two conditions) and compared the use of dialect in the participants' speech in each condition - hypothesing less use of idiom in the neutral condition.

There's some truth in the argument that teachers want you to use boring/straightforward practicals as they are easy to mark (and generally more ethical); however, it's also so it's clear where marks are awarded, so they're less likely to be marked down.

p.s. Saiyamana, am I right in thinking you're on the OCR spec? If so, be really careful with ethics as the board are strict to the point of pedantry.

EDIT: Just thought of another good practical; one of my students borrowed a doll which cried and left it in the common room and looked at the different reactions of males and females to it.

and another...gender and kinesthetic coordination using a playstation dance mat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peacey)
    One of my cherubs (so not unique, by definition, but hey-hum) did a spin on the conformity-type practical by looking at linguistic divergence and convergence. Basically, he's observed participants talking to one person with a fairly neutral accent and another with a strong manc accent (his two conditions) and compared the use of dialect in the participants' speech in each condition - hypothesing less use of idiom in the neutral condition.

There's some truth in the argument that teachers want you to use boring/straightforward practicals as they are easy to mark (and generally more ethical); however, it's also so it's clear where marks are awarded, so they're less likely to be marked down.

p.s. Saiyamana, am I right in thinking you're on the OCR spec? If so, be really careful with ethics as the board are strict to the point of pedantry.

EDIT: Just thought of another good practical; one of my students borrowed a doll which cried and left it in the common room and looked at the different reactions of males and females to it.

and another...gender and kinesthetic coordination using a playstation dance mat!
    what does 'idiom' mean?

ooh, the EDIT sounds familliar, my teacher frequently leaves a big squirrel doll in our psychology room and observes our reactions to it. Lol, half of them pushed it away, and half played around with it (all boys class, and i was messing round with it ). That sounds cool, maybe i could observe the reactions of people in the 6th form college when presented with a crying doll, and with a footballer doll, and whether people would avoid the crying one (most of 6th form are boys, only 3 girls). Hmmm, soo many ideas!

ReputationRep:
    what does 'idiom' mean?

ooh, the EDIT sounds familliar, my teacher frequently leaves a big squirrel doll in our psychology room and observes our reactions to it. Lol, half of them pushed it away, and half played around with it (all boys class, and i was messing round with it ). That sounds cool, maybe i could observe the reactions of people in the 6th form college when presented with a crying doll, and with a footballer doll, and whether people would avoid the crying one (most of 6th form are boys, only 3 girls). Hmmm, soo many ideas!
    Idiom is just a poncy word for slang/dialect.

Sounds like you've got the beginnings of an interesting practical. Make sure you debrief afterwards, and make sure you emphasise in your write-up that you've done so and given the the right to withdraw. Also, make sure you don't get carried away with lots of conditions (i.e. ensure that you can run the relevant stats tests before you gather data)

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.