Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AATTMM)
    Any chance of changing the name of the society to TSR Psychology Society?
    I can change it yes. What are your reasons for wanting it to be changed?

ReputationRep:
    'Cos UKL no longer exists .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AATTMM)
    'Cos UKL no longer exists .
    Fair enough reason. I will do a poll on it.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all! Heading to UCL for Psychology (yay finally; never got the chance to study it in high school) this Sept-- can I join? =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leigh787)
    Hello all! Heading to UCL for Psychology (yay finally; never got the chance to study it in high school) this Sept-- can I join? =)
    Course will add you to the list, just add us to your sig!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bohogirlie)
    Course will add you to the list, just add us to your sig!
    wow Ive been offline for ages!! well done for leader pos! Does anyone have any information on research studies on gender & intelligence, IQ or spelling mistakes. Im writing the intro to my A2 coursework and although i have all my research, none are studies, just stats by government etc.

Any help would be great =D
    Ems x

p.s. my experiment (not yet done, but all prepared) is giving people an article and to tell them that hey have 3 minutes to spot all spelling mistakes in it, according to their gender i will then be able to see who does best. Therefore relating it to IQ/Intelligence without labelling people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emsy)
    wow Ive been offline for ages!! well done for leader pos! Does anyone have any information on research studies on gender & intelligence, IQ or spelling mistakes. Im writing the intro to my A2 coursework and although i have all my research, none are studies, just stats by government etc.

Ems x

p.s. my experiment (not yet done, but all prepared) is giving people an article and to tell them that hey have 3 minutes to spot all spelling mistakes in it, according to their gender i will then be able to see who does best. Therefore relating it to IQ/Intelligence without labelling people.
    There should be loads of research into gender differences in IQ, just try googleing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emsy)

Ems x

Your experiment sounds great, its really original!
    I was just wondering though, will it definately reflect on IQ because a lot of people are intelligent but can't spell, e.g people with autism and stuff :confused:... I'm not criticising I'm just curious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Raven~)
    Your experiment sounds great, its really original!
    I was just wondering though, will it definately reflect on IQ because a lot of people are intelligent but can't spell, e.g people with autism and stuff :confused:... I'm not criticising I'm just curious
    They are variables that i cannot control, which will help me in my evaluation =) well in IQ tests and exams you need to be able to read and spell properly. So i guess its testing more of english skills in females and males!? Good question, not quite sure how AQA will see it but my psych teacher agrees its ok,

Although, if you were dislexic, wouldnt your IQ be lower because you read slower or can't read as well?

Ems x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emsy)
    They are variables that i cannot control, which will help me in my evaluation =) well in IQ tests and exams you need to be able to read and spell properly. So i guess its testing more of english skills in females and males!? Good question, not quite sure how AQA will see it but my psych teacher agrees its ok,

Although, if you were dislexic, wouldnt your IQ be lower because you read slower or can't read as well?

Ems x
    Well i don't know anything about intelligence, I haven't studied it, I was just curious coz I don't think IQ should just depend on spelling and literacy, I don't know if it does though!
    But yes, it will make a really good evaluation, that bit should be really easy for you :biggrin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Raven~)
    Well i don't know anything about intelligence, I haven't studied it, I was just curious coz I don't think IQ should just depend on spelling and literacy, I don't know if it does though!
    But yes, it will make a really good evaluation, that bit should be really easy for you :biggrin:
    This illustrates the problems of pinning down intelligence as an underlying, transcendental phenomena; we end up testing for other domain-specific, nurtured skills (e.g. reading ability, etc). Giddens argues (with irony) that intelligence is such a slippery and disputed artefact that all we can really define as is "what intelligence tests measure".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peacey)
    This illustrates the problems of pinning down intelligence as an underlying, transcendental phenomena; we end up testing for other domain-specific, nurtured skills (e.g. reading ability, etc). Giddens argues (with irony) that intelligence is such a slippery and disputed artefact that all we can really define as is "what intelligence tests measure".

Very true. I could argue that against research then (Gidden's), does the text below support my experiment as i am only testing one abaility and that is reading ability.
    The American psychologist Arthur Jensen ("Educational Differences", 1973) argues that intelligence can be measured in terms of:

"Abstract reasoning ability...a selection of just one portion of the total spectrum of human mental abilities.".
    Ems x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emsy)

Ems x
    You want your experiement to go wrong and have loads of extraneous variables, so you can talk about it in your discussion

ReputationRep:
    thankies peacey though the text on the documents is too small! :rolleyes: i was gonna suggest it to the psychology staff at my college, if that would be ok with you....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    thankies peacey though the text on the documents is too small! :rolleyes: i was gonna suggest it to the psychology staff at my college, if that would be ok with you....
    Zoom in :p:

and share away.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thought I'd pop in to say hi again :hello:

I don't study psych anymore as I'm doing biology mostly now and nearly finished my degree. But since I have for 2 years now (uni level) feel free to ask me anything on the topic (as long as it doesn't involve neuro :eek: Loathed it ), I'm sure I will be able to help you :cool: Esp. cognitive/personality related psych, they were cool.

DB_x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    Hi, thought I'd pop in to say hi again :hello:

I don't study psych anymore as I'm doing biology mostly now and nearly finished my degree. But since I have for 2 years now (uni level) feel free to ask me anything on the topic (as long as it doesn't involve neuro :eek: Loathed it ), I'm sure I will be able to help you :cool: Esp. cognitive/personality related psych, they were cool.

DB_x
    The PsychSoc has changed leaders now, so :hello:

To anyone who hasn't voted on this poll if you could that would be great!

ReputationRep:
    Why am I not on the list? I asked on the 5th page of this thread and even have it as a signature....I feel so unloved :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by * gemchicken *)
    Why am I not on the list? I asked on the 5th page of this thread and even have it as a signature....I feel so unloved :bawling:
    :hugs:

I wasn't the leader back then, but i will put you on the list straight away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bohogirlie)
    :hugs:

I wasn't the leader back then, but i will put you on the list straight away
    Aww thanks :hugs: I feel so loved again :love:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 30, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.