Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    isn't that site based on a method of eliminating other addictions? by constantly reinforcing positive actions, and providing negative reinforcement every time someone clicks... what type of learning can this be associated with? It's operant conditioning right?

Is this how other addictions, such as alcohol addiction, are stopped?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    isn't that site based on a method of eliminating other addictions? by constantly reinforcing positive actions, and providing negative reinforcement every time someone clicks... what type of learning can this be associated with? It's operant conditioning right?

Is this how other addictions, such as alcohol addiction, are stopped?
    Good observation/application. I grade this post A+. :p:

I think it technically gives positive punishment (i.e. it shouts at you for clicking!) and remediation (cognitive re-structuring a la liberal behaviourism) rather than negative reinforcement (which would involve putting you in an unpleasant situation and then removing it when a desired action is taken).

Operant conditioning in the mode you've suggested is one way of dealing with maladaptive behaviours like addictions - we also uses it without realising in our everday life (have you ever "treated yourself" for revising/finishing an essay?)

(p.s. given the time-lapse between the two posts; have you just spent two hours not clicking on things?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peacey)
    Good observation/application. I grade this post A+. :p:

I think it technically gives positive punishment (i.e. it shouts at you for clicking!) and remediation (cognitive re-structuring a la liberal behaviourism) rather than negative reinforcement (which would involve putting you in an unpleasant situation and then removing it when a desired action is taken).

Operant conditioning in the mode you've suggested is one way of dealing with maladaptive behaviours like addictions - we also uses it without realising in our everday life (have you ever "treated yourself" for revising/finishing an essay?)

(p.s. given the time-lapse between the two posts; have you just spent two hours not clicking on things?)

woooooooooooooo!

ok, that seems much more correct :rolleyes: oh the joys of being an AS student of mid intelligence :p: . We havent gone through remidiation yet, but yep it makes sense i think. It's the same as on Paul McKenna's show on sky 1 isn't it- when he cured the swimming phobia, he restructured the person's mind to make them find the situation funny, and associated good things with swimming - thats right isn't it, teacher? :p:

:eek: no! lol. i know someone who treats himself to a kebab every time he scores a goal in football tbh, he has scored the most goals for us up to now :eek:

lol, not the whole 2 hours :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    omg! i got a C for AS psychology! :eek:

I dont get how either! The exam was so simple and easy!

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry bout it Hun I got a B Last year In psych when I should of got an A but you have a whole year to bring it up.

I Got into My Psych Degree at Soton wooho another 3 years of Psych Love.
    Cant beleive i got A in Psych. well proud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    Dont worry bout it Hun I got a B Last year In psych when I should of got an A but you have a whole year to bring it up.

I Got into My Psych Degree at Soton wooho another 3 years of Psych Love.
    Cant beleive i got A in Psych. well proud.
    i was predicted an A as well :bawling:

got a CDDDD and i'll need an AAB-BBB to get into uni :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    I got BBCD last year But sprang to AAB today, alot of things can change in a year. Taking your A-levels I found is alot more focused as with As you can shrug of that youve got another year but A-levels are the finite end, It will definately make you work harder. You can do it my boy (Gawd sound so mumsy huh.)

ReputationRep:
    I got BBCD last year But sprang to AAB today, alot of things can change in a year. Taking your A-levels I found is alot more focused as with As you can shrug of that youve got another year but A-levels are the finite end, It will definately make you work harder. You can do it my boy (Gawd sound so mumsy huh.)
    o right cool! anything is possiblE! i hope

It was a big shock when i got them! i mean they seemed so easy...! And the psychological folder exam was strange as we only had to copy out answers from a folder beside us :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Wooah that sounds like a well weird exam. you with OCR?

ReputationRep:
    Wooah that sounds like a well weird exam. you with OCR?
    yea. The AS exams are really easy, one being short answers, one essay-type paper, and a folder paper.

my god, psychology is my best subject as well :eek:

i didnt even get one single A for any module (1 off an A on Maths C1 and the GS science paper, then 3 off on the ICT 3 coursework )

i guess this calls for a hell of a lot more revision

ReputationRep:
    Weird, My exams were just mainly essay type Questions, and the manditory coursework. Pyschology evision is never dull, especially when yuour really interested in the subject (Well it can be but well... Lala.)

ReputationRep:
    I got in to do Psych at Newcastle - I'm so happy!

ReputationRep:
    Wahey! Congrats

ReputationRep:
    Wahey! Congrats
    You too!

ReputationRep:
    I got in to do Psychology at Goldsmiths. Can't wait to start the course.

ReputationRep:
    Well Done to everyone whos got in to do Psychology. I myself got an A in Psychology (ABB) overall, so am off to Glasgow in a few weeks! :eek:

Saiyamana, don't worry. I got ACCD last year, and the A was 240 (only just an A), i went up to ABB for my A Levels. Everyone does worse in their AS's than their A2's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bohogirlie)

Saiyamana, don't worry. I got ACCD last year, and the A was 240 (only just an A), i went up to ABB for my A Levels. Everyone does worse in their AS's than their A2's.
    i hope so seriously though, i thought my answers were perfectly correct. I dont know how i could improve my marks in Jan :eek:

ReputationRep:
    O.o Congrats Boho! I could be extremely sad and say lets compare breakdowns..

Saiyamana, I thought my media exam l;ast year was really good and didnt understand how I could an E, But my school got some transcriopts of some top essays in the year and went through them with the class and it really made me see where I was going wrong.
    Maybe you could approach your teacher next term and share your worries, Im sure they'd be happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    Would I possibly be able to join the psychology society?

ReputationRep:
    O.o Congrats Boho! I could be extremely sad and say lets compare breakdowns..

Saiyamana, I thought my media exam l;ast year was really good and didnt understand how I could an E, But my school got some transcriopts of some top essays in the year and went through them with the class and it really made me see where I was going wrong.
    Maybe you could approach your teacher next term and share your worries, Im sure they'd be happy to help.
    Lets be sad! :p: I got:
    unit 1: 98/100
    unit 2: 82/100
    unit 3: 84/100
    unit 4: 63/90 :eek: :eek: :eek: I knew that exam went badly
    unit 5: 110/120
    unit 6: 88/90

Saiyamana, if you think that you did better in your exams, why don't you get a re mark? I say again though that AS's are so much harder than GCSEs and most people don't expect to drop, especially when they did so well in their GCSE's. You get used to the standard by the time A Levels come along, so i wouldn't worry too much.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 30, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.