Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Raven~)
    OMG uni is so hard, its all very sciency and mathsy and I've got an essay titled 'Evaluate a method of data collection in Psychology'. Omg its just so b-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzz
    Do participant observation; at least it'll be interesting. You can talk about Rosenhan and Goffman and stuff (I'm assuming it at be any method of data collection, as they've not specified a quantitative one)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    southampton? what type of uni is it?
    Uh, a Big one? Pretty,

Ive settled in a bit now, Inductions tomorrow so well see what my course is like. (That Just sounds scary Raven.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    Uh, a Big one? Pretty,

Ive settled in a bit now, Inductions tomorrow so well see what my course is like. (That Just sounds scary Raven.)
    lol, i aint a big kid :rolleyes:

eg, a campus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    lol, i aint a big kid :rolleyes:

eg, a campus.
    Of course your not sweetie!

Yes it is a campus, well a couple really. Courses spread over Highfiled Campus (meee), Avenue, and some city buildings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peacey)
    Do participant observation; at least it'll be interesting. You can talk about Rosenhan and Goffman and stuff (I'm assuming it at be any method of data collection, as they've not specified a quantitative one)
    Ok that means absolutely nothing to me, I'm doomed! :burnout:

ReputationRep:
    Hey just started psychology in uni. Never took it since they didn't offer it where I took the A Levels, but it's so interesting!! Also signed up to participate in paid psychology experiments. Woot!!

ReputationRep:
    O.o I had my induction today.. It was good. Felt good about everything and all.. Only annoying bit is the Non-Psychology option we have to take. there ae some nice and interesting options but you have to pick one that fits into your timetabel and doesnt clash.. Guess whos doing Introduction to Politics this term?

ReputationRep:
    Ok that means absolutely nothing to me, I'm doomed! :burnout:
    lookee here for a handout on participant observation - it's sociology focused though, so will need reapplying.

Do some internet sleuthing into participant observation in psychology; Rosenhan is one study you could refer to (click here), also Goffman (technically a sociologist, but enough of an overlap with zimbardo-esq social psych)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Peacey - I'l try and get time to look at it over the weekend. Atm I heading off for FIVE SOLID HOURS of lectures on statistics ( :mad: ) and research methods ( :argh: ), and the buildings are all at least a 10 minute walk away from each other. Shoot me please!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, the title is 'Evaluate a method of data collection in Psychology'.

Are case studies a method of data collection? I know quite a bit about them and I think I could write an essay on them without a gigantic amount of trouble, but I'm usure if they count as a method of data collection.

If nayone knows let me know ASAP coz I wanna get started in the next few days. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, the title is 'Evaluate a method of data collection in Psychology'.

Are case studies a method of data collection? I know quite a bit about them and I think I could write an essay on them without a gigantic amount of trouble, but I'm usure if they count as a method of data collection.

If nayone knows let me know ASAP coz I wanna get started in the next few days. Thanks!
    I wouldn't call case studies a "method of data collection" - they're a general methodology (or overall strategy), as you still need to utilise individual methods (interviews, observations, etc) within them in order to generate data.

If you want to be a smart arse, you could dispute the whole notion of data "collection", as it implies that you can objectively capture the truth of human existence. I prefer data "generation", as it acknowledges that the research process distorts the data produced.

ReputationRep:
    So do you think that I shouldn't use case studies then?

I don't have enough room to be a smart arse, its only 1000 words, but I really don't wanna write about interviews and questionnaires coz its soooo boring. and I looked at the stuff bout participant observation buit I can't be arsed to learn anything new

ReputationRep:
    Oh arent degrees fun. The textbooks are lovely and huge, and the statistcs stuff is jsut so overwhelming. Combine the introduction to political theory I have to take and yeay!

ReputationRep:
    So do you think that I shouldn't use case studies then?

I don't have enough room to be a smart arse, its only 1000 words, but I really don't wanna write about interviews and questionnaires coz its soooo boring. and I looked at the stuff bout participant observation buit I can't be arsed to learn anything new
    I'd steer clear just in case - you don't want everything to be undermined on a technicality. Questionnaires are always deathly dull to write about, but interviews don't have to be - especially if you get into some of the feminist stuff about collaborative interviewing. Participant Observation really is well worth a look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peacey)
    I'd steer clear just in case - you don't want everything to be undermined on a technicality. Questionnaires are always deathly dull to write about, but interviews don't have to be - especially if you get into some of the feminist stuff about collaborative interviewing. Participant Observation really is well worth a look.
    Ok cheers - back to the f*in drawing board...
    At least this crap course is only 4 weeks long (its study skills, not a real module)
    Tnaks for you help :biggrin:

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! :ciao:

I'm doing my dissertation and am completely confused, I've posted a thread here and would appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice, I was gonna post it here but didn't want to double post or anything

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I've just done my first lab for psychology. I have just come out with about a mllion numbers and its all very confusing. I hate stats they told me i wouldn't have to do them til next year
    Hope everyone elses course is going ok!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel, the stats are just overwhelming me and I don't have my first practical til next week :eek:!
    I'm so tired....

ReputationRep:
    CAN I JOIN? Applied to do psychology at uni!

ReputationRep:
    stats is easy! :eek:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 30, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.