Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Stats are not easy here.. Beleive me! The huge ook about Using stas for SPSS look scary enough. I have my first lab next week.. sounds fun and a little daunting.
    Slowly being killed by My Politc Option.. Athenian democracy = Boring.

Does anyone else have 5% of there grade dependant on Participation in psych experiemnts?

ReputationRep:
    I hated every minute of my stats classes in years one and two, I have no idea how I managed to get a first in stats in my 2nd year exam :eek:

If you're good at maths you'll be fine, if not just work hard and you'll do great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    Stats are not easy here.. Beleive me! The huge ook about Using stas for SPSS look scary enough. I have my first lab next week.. sounds fun and a little daunting.

Does anyone else have 5% of there grade dependant on Participation in psych experiemnts?
    Yeah I do.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of any studies related to Introverts and Extroverts (ie describing the cause/reason why some people are more extrovert than others)?

ReputationRep:
    random question for anyone around, lol.

If i were to give a culturally biased IQ test to a culturally biased sample, would the results be valid for that type of person? (ie, 17 year olds who are taking Maths at A-level)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. Im really no useful huh. Ask me on descriptive stats... you know you want to.

ReputationRep:
    I've never studied Psychology at the A Levels and now we need to do a lab report. Does anyone know where we can get a sample of how it's supposed to be written online? I know the format, but I think I can do much better with a real lab report to compare my own with.

HELP!

ReputationRep:

I dunno if i get 5%, but i know i have to participate in at least 4 studies, not sure if its per semester or year :confused: and i get course credits, and cash occasionally. So its not bad to get couirse credits and paid for turning up and not having to learn anything!

ReputationRep:
    - Leigh is the book 'Designing and reporting experiments in psychology' by Harris one of your core texts? Im writing a report at the moment and its really useful.

Yeah everytime we participate in a study we gain credits, and we need 35 drecits by january for this semster so You have to participte in 5-10 stusdies depending on there credit value.

ReputationRep:
    Hanzing-- nope it's not. We only really need to buy one book and it's that Hilgard book. But I'll definitely look into it-- thanks so much for the header!

ReputationRep:
    Hilgard? Not a clue. All my books are scary. although the statisitcs one is quite amusing.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I've got the Harris book now-- good stuff. Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Please may I join the UKL Psychology Society?
    Thank you
    mia

Now wasn't that a nice request, lol!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, please can I join the Psych Soc too? Am doing it at A Level and going to do it at Uni next year.
    Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    How could we refuse two such pleasant requests

ReputationRep:
    HELP - I have to write an essay on this -
    Critically discuss the differing treatment approaches to mood disorder

I can discuss one mood disorder or all and two treatments or all treatments, I want to do BIPOLAR disorder. But I dont know how many treatment approaches I should write about and which treatments. I defo want to include Lithium.

What do guys think??? Also I have to start off saying what I'm doing and I dont know how to write this Also I dont know how to structure my essay Even though I have been doing psychology for more than three years now, I'm **** at writing essays, I get good marks on reports/presentations/multiple choice qs, but never essays :bawling:

Please help. I ma worth 58 pos rep points, and the person who helps me the most, will get it. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Bipolar is a good place to start, as it is a fairy common form of depression.Which area are you appraoching bipolar from, Biological aproach (Hence Biochemistry or Genetics), or maybe a psychodynamic one, or even behaviourist. It would be best to first start by explaining a bit about the mood disorder and what happens in each approach and how they explain it.. Its also good to give critisms of the theories about depression and maybe some studies.
    Then you can go on to talk about treatments used.. If you specify to only one appraoch then focus on that apptroaches treatments.. E.g Bio = Lithium salts, Psychdynamic would be Psychotherapy.

I Have a slide show I did at A-level on biological causes of depression if that would help..PM if ya want me to send it to you.

ReputationRep:
    Bipolar is a good place to start, as it is a fairy common form of depression.Which area are you appraoching bipolar from, Biological aproach (Hence Biochemistry or Genetics), or maybe a psychodynamic one, or even behaviourist. It would be best to first start by explaining a bit about the mood disorder and what happens in each approach and how they explain it.. Its also good to give critisms of the theories about depression and maybe some studies.
    Then you can go on to talk about treatments used.. If you specify to only one appraoch then focus on that apptroaches treatments.. E.g Bio = Lithium salts, Psychdynamic would be Psychotherapy.

I Have a slide show I did at A-level on biological causes of depression if that would help..PM if ya want me to send it to you.
    I was told not to mention the approaches but to straightaway evaluate the treatments against the chosen mood disorder. I know in alevel we had to do approaches and stuff, but in uni I dont think we need too, well not in this essay. But thanks for the help. Depression is too big research area, I prefer doing bipolar disorder.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah true, Uni is just so different now. In my text book it pretty much just has Cognitive therapy and drugs as treatments for Bipolar depression. a Nice paragraph on Lithium carbonate aswell which is the most effective treatment.

Are you first, 2nd or third year?

ReputationRep:
    oooh please can i join?
    Im currently doing it at A2 and *looks down* look at all the places i've applied to to do psychology. do i qualify.....please? I'll bake you a cake?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 30, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.