UKL Psychology Society (UKL PsychSoc) Watch

.:fluff:.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Watson and Reyner, They conditioned a boy called 'Little Albert' I cant believe they were actually allowed to do that! The mother took her son out before they could put him back to normal..
thats just wrong..

We were studying ECT and Trepanning the other day....eww talk about gory psychology, can't belive stuff like that actually still exists ^o)
sour stone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Okay.
This may sound a little creepy or something, but I know you all be psychologists will find it interesting.
Who would you say was the most infamously unstable serial killer?

I'd say Jeffrey Dahmer. He got all freaked out when people tried to leave, as his mother had done when he was young.
Pretty unstable and a killer of 17 people (alledgedly, the number may be wrong)

Heck. Who do you think?
I'd say a close second was that Russian cannibal geezer, Andrei Chikatilo or the 'Rostov ripper'

Your turn...
Hanzing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Your right, that is a little creepy.
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hey, uni psychologists, just wondering, what kind of work experience/psychology related work have you done whilst in university (that the university has offered).

just wondering what kind of oppurtunities are there in uni?

i wouldn't mind tutoring/mentoring again (as we had to stop it because of A2 work ) it was sooo coool tho

i've also been coaching a 6 a side team, but i definately wont be any good coaching proper 11-a side teams etc.

meh, dreading the biology part of the psychology course
sour stone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Hanzing)
Your right, that is a little creepy.
Yeah, but technically it is the work of psychology.
Oh.
And my A level teacher loves divulging information on the subject, and I must admit it is interesting and I have read some books relating to it.
One in particular that I recommend is:
"Profile of a criminal mind" by Brian Innes - perhaps you've heard of it...

So.
Who do you think was the worst? Psychologically of course...
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
freud and Hans...that i've read so far though...that was just wierd...
Gem
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by .[s)
fluff[/s].]thats just wrong..

We were studying ECT and Trepanning the other day....eww talk about gory psychology, can't belive stuff like that actually still exists ^o)
Had to watch a video of it actually happening in a lecture today...I was like :eek:

Not the nicest thing to watch

BUT apparently it's got a high success rate in severe depression, but obviously if it's done by someone who's been specially trained and if all other methods have failed.
sour stone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Gem)
Had to watch a video of it actually happening in a lecture today...I was like :eek:

Not the nicest thing to watch

BUT apparently it's got a high success rate in severe depression, but obviously if it's done by someone who's been specially trained and if all other methods have failed.
I'm hazy. And I ain't at uni yet so I may not have come across it. But is Trepanning where they drill a hole in your head and burn brain cells that they believe are damaged.
I must emphasise. Believe. Most of the brain is a total mystery to us apparently. And to be honest I don't think I'd like someone tampering with mine. But heck, if I was mentally disturbed or whatever I guess I'd have no choice would I?
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by creamcrackered)
I'm hazy. And I ain't at uni yet so I may not have come across it. But is Trepanning where they drill a hole in your head and burn brain cells that they believe are damaged.
I must emphasise. Believe. Most of the brain is a total mystery to us apparently. And to be honest I don't think I'd like someone tampering with mine. But heck, if I was mentally disturbed or whatever I guess I'd have no choice would I?
Heres a fun Psych Fact for you, I believe the guy who created the Labotomy (A procedure to reduce angression, where they cut certain nerves within your lobes) Was actually killed by an ex-patient.

Not the greatest advertisement for it..
~Raven~
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Passed my exams :party:
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Congrats Hun!!
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ~Raven~)
yay for you :party:
sour stone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Hanzing)
Heres a fun Psych Fact for you, I believe the guy who created the Labotomy (A procedure to reduce angression, where they cut certain nerves within your lobes) Was actually killed by an ex-patient.

Not the greatest advertisement for it..
Well, you learn something new everyday. I didn't know that. It sound quite funny though, I assume it isn't meant to be.
Also is the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest totally accurate when it comes to illustarting how mental homes work? And is the lobotomy portrayed correctly?

Also back to trepanning, which I assume my definition of was right seeing as you didn't correct me. I was wondering if you'd seen the video of it where they drilled into a patients head but the drill bit broke whilst it was in there, so they changed to a hand drill and you saw this doctor boring a hole in this poor guy's head. It was really weird, and I advise people to not be eating when they see it.

I ask all this because I intend to study psychology, which is also (somehow) spliced with journalism at Winchester, Not far from Southampton really, and I assume you know tonnes more than I do. What better way to learn and find stuff out by asking people who are in the know?

Oh. And what's the psychology course like, obviously it'll be a bit different at a different institute, but give me a general idea.
Gem
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wow! Well Done! Thats fab news! :party:
sour stone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well Done too. Congrats.
Gem
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just got an email to say I'll get some exam results within the next few days - I mean why do they do that, would rather just get told when they're out, that way I'll not worry these next few days - anyway....am scared :afraid:
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
aww don't worry Gem :hugs::hugs:
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by creamcrackered)
Well, you learn something new everyday. I didn't know that. It sound quite funny though, I assume it isn't meant to be.
Also is the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest totally accurate when it comes to illustarting how mental homes work? And is the lobotomy portrayed correctly?

Also back to trepanning, which I assume my definition of was right seeing as you didn't correct me. I was wondering if you'd seen the video of it where they drilled into a patients head but the drill bit broke whilst it was in there, so they changed to a hand drill and you saw this doctor boring a hole in this poor guy's head. It was really weird, and I advise people to not be eating when they see it.

I ask all this because I intend to study psychology, which is also (somehow) spliced with journalism at Winchester, Not far from Southampton really, and I assume you know tonnes more than I do. What better way to learn and find stuff out by asking people who are in the know?

Oh. And what's the psychology course like, obviously it'll be a bit different at a different institute, but give me a general idea.
Well Its quite amusing!
I have no idea what Trepanning is, Last year we covered the basic psychosurgery and so didnt really delve into it properly.
O.o I have never seen the combination before, But sounds fun MY Psych Course? Well its split into 4 main modules - Intro to Psych; a nice overview of everything from early psych to memory and abonormality, Research methods and Data Analysis; Pretty much in the name, Thinking Psychologically; Tutorial discussion grouops talking about psych issues in real world applications and Psych Research Lab; Experiments! (And write up's *sigh*)
Gem
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Shylock)
aww don't worry Gem :hugs::hugs:
I'm. Going. To. Fail.

:bawling:
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Gem)
Just got an email to say I'll get some exam results within the next few days - I mean why do they do that, would rather just get told when they're out, that way I'll not worry these next few days - anyway....am scared :afraid:
Awwh, Good Luck Hun, Im sure you will do great!

(They keep telling us they will be 'a little while'.. Gah Im bored of waiting already!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1581)
79.29%
Leave (413)
20.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed