Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creamcrackered)
    Well, you learn something new everyday. I didn't know that. It sound quite funny though, I assume it isn't meant to be.
    Also is the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest totally accurate when it comes to illustarting how mental homes work? And is the lobotomy portrayed correctly?

Also back to trepanning, which I assume my definition of was right seeing as you didn't correct me. I was wondering if you'd seen the video of it where they drilled into a patients head but the drill bit broke whilst it was in there, so they changed to a hand drill and you saw this doctor boring a hole in this poor guy's head. It was really weird, and I advise people to not be eating when they see it.

I ask all this because I intend to study psychology, which is also (somehow) spliced with journalism at Winchester, Not far from Southampton really, and I assume you know tonnes more than I do. What better way to learn and find stuff out by asking people who are in the know?

Oh. And what's the psychology course like, obviously it'll be a bit different at a different institute, but give me a general idea.
    I don't know much about trepanning, all I know it that I *think* it was initially done as in the olden days - not sure when, maybe Hippogrates time ummm 460BC or something - it was done as people believed that mental disorders were 'evil' and so by drilling a hole in the persons head would release the evil spirit. Think it might have been done by witches and stuff....not sure! Think it might be done nowadays to release blood/pressure in the brain but I'm not sure. I don't know much about it - sounds like you know more!

Psychology is a great subject to study at Uni but then I'm biased! In my first year I did modules in Personality & Health, Human Performance & Cognition, Social & Developmental, Biological, Skills for Psychologists, Lab Classes and Stats *shudders* Second year was Memory & Learning, Psychobiology, Sensation & Perception, Psychometrics, Advanced Social & Developmental and Stats, then option in Evolutionary and Crime. This year is my final year and has modules in Neuropsychology, Abnormal, Advanced Cognitive then option in Counselling, Working Memory, Anorexia and Child Psych but of course there is my dissertation too....busy year! On the whole though I'd definately recommend it :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    Awwh, Good Luck Hun, Im sure you will do great!

(They keep telling us they will be 'a little while'.. Gah Im bored of waiting already!)
    Aww thank you :hugs: You'll do fantabulous!

Is that a new avatar?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gem)
    Aww thank you :hugs: You'll do fantabulous!

Is that a new avatar?!
    Yees, Lovin Cats at the mo..

AhbTrepanning now it comes to mind, The whole drilling the head to release the spirits.. Good Old fashioned Psychology. Scary thou..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gem)
    I don't know much about trepanning, all I know it that I *think* it was initially done as in the olden days - not sure when, maybe Hippogrates time ummm 460BC or something - it was done as people believed that mental disorders were 'evil' and so by drilling a hole in the persons head would release the evil spirit. Think it might have been done by witches and stuff....not sure! Think it might be done nowadays to release blood/pressure in the brain but I'm not sure. I don't know much about it - sounds like you know more!

Psychology is a great subject to study at Uni but then I'm biased! In my first year I did modules in Personality & Health, Human Performance & Cognition, Social & Developmental, Biological, Skills for Psychologists, Lab Classes and Stats *shudders* Second year was Memory & Learning, Psychobiology, Sensation & Perception, Psychometrics, Advanced Social & Developmental and Stats, then option in Evolutionary and Crime. This year is my final year and has modules in Neuropsychology, Abnormal, Advanced Cognitive then option in Counselling, Working Memory, Anorexia and Child Psych but of course there is my dissertation too....busy year! On the whole though I'd definately recommend it :top:
    Wow. I've already applied for Journalism and Psych at Winchester Uni and I hope to get it. You and Hanzing make the course sound pretty cool, althouhg of course the journalism side is a mystery, I have no idea how they manage to combine the two.
    Also don't be so pessimistic when it comes to doing your exams, I'm sure you'll do fine.
    As for trepanning, I'm not sure if I was right with the term, but I remembered watching a video about something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Got my results. 56% which is a 2.2 I know is a pass and could have been worse but I'm so disappointed. Sounds really ungrateful but I've never got that low before. :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gem)
    Got my results. 56% which is a 2.2 I know is a pass and could have been worse but I'm so disappointed. Sounds really ungrateful but I've never got that low before. :bawling:
    Awwh Sweetie, Its ok. I know what you mean, But It is pass and you have this semester.. It'll make you work harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gem)
    You might think it's bad. But it's not. I suggest you go partying or something to celebrate. You PASSED. That's the important thing. At least you won't have to do it again. Congrats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gem)
    Aw babee :hugs: Don't worry about it now, just concentrate on what's left to do

ReputationRep:
    Ha. We learnt a load of crap today in psych...

Humanism... which basically means our behaviour is dictated by wanting people to love us.

A cutter, cuts because he/she wants to be loved/liked...

I think BS. If ya want to be liked ya copy what others do to get liked, not do something radical that might not even work...
    Yep I'm more a behaviourist than much else. I think we pretty much learn everything.

Although Biology and possible Psychodynamics apply in some areas. But mainly I think Behaviourist.

What's everyone elses stature on this? Is anyone else a behaviourist?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, The behaviourist approach has a great line on how we learn behaviour through consequences and behaviour but I for one cant believe we are born with a blank slate, I like the biological appraoch and believe in innate behaviour and genetic relationship with our behaviours just as much as enviromental.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    nature vs. nature....
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    who thinks it's more down to nature than nurture?

ReputationRep:
    Im going to be annoying and say a combination of both
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    LOL

right answer now tell me why :evil:

ReputationRep:
    See above ^. Anyways..Im so Happy I just found out I passed my first sem exams!! Actually got a couple of 1'sts
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    See above ^. Anyways..Im so Happy I just found out I passed my first sem exams!! Actually got a couple of 1'sts
    awww well done :hugs::party: celebrate!

ReputationRep:
    Im going to be annoying and say a combination of both
    It's not annoying because I reckon you're spot on.

ReputationRep:
    Yey congrats!!

ReputationRep:
    CONGRATULATIONS! :party:
    That's fantastic news! Well Done! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Well Done...

Everyone else's given ya a mexican wave so to break tradition I'm giving ya:

:flowers:

Don't forget to water them

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 30, 2016

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.