UKL Psychology Society (UKL PsychSoc) Watch

Hanzing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You want to see the plant in my room! I wouldnt hold to much hope..
nataliethm
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by creamcrackered)
Yep I'm more a behaviourist than much else. I think we pretty much learn everything.

Although Biology and possible Psychodynamics apply in some areas. But mainly I think Behaviourist.

What's everyone elses stature on this? Is anyone else a behaviourist?
I think that I'm more of a behaviourist too, although I agree that sometimes biology and psychodynamics play a role as well
Quita
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I like the humanistic and pyschodynamic approaches although i do believe that there are some nature bits too...

Me moving on from that subject coz i actually wanted to ask a question ... How much demand do you reckon there is for child psychotherapists in the UK as opposed to America?

Talking to a psychotherapist he said that there is a higher demand in America but yet he moved from America to England.
Doomadgee
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by bohogirlie)
I know a lot of people on this board who don't study it say it is mickey mouse blah blah blah, but who really cares!!
As a current Undergraduate of Psychology I strongly disagree with people who believe that to be true. Unfortunately Psychology is often underestimated, but it has to be one of few degrees that actually gives you a grounding in many areas.

Just to give you an example of what I've come across in my first year...

Maths -Statistics, basically if you didn't do A-level maths you may find it harder to keep up.
Biology- How we hear, see, move, all with a biological basis (A-level Biology would have helped me)
Chemistry -chemical structures of hormones
Physics -yes I've even come across Electricity in my course this year
English -the number of essays that are constantly thrown at us

From a science perspective a Psychology degree involves carrying out regular experiments and writing up 2000word lab reports each fortnight. I couldn't believe how much easier some of my mates had it at uni when I came back over the Xmas holidays. Way under-rated!:motz:
sour stone
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Doomadgee)
As a current Undergraduate of Psychology I strongly disagree with people who believe that to be true. Unfortunately Psychology is often underestimated, but it has to be one of few degrees that actually gives you a grounding in many areas.

Maths -Statistics, basically if you didn't do A-level maths you may find it harder to keep up.
Biology- How we hear, see, move, all with a biological basis (A-level Biology would have helped me)

From a science perspective a Psychology degree involves carrying out regular experiments and writing up 2000word lab reports each fortnight. I couldn't believe how much easier some of my mates had it at uni when I came back over the Xmas holidays. Way under-rated!:motz:
Thanks pal. Now I'm sh***ing my pants. I'm a prospective journalism and psychology student and other than English I haven't done any of the others at A level. But I have obviously done psychology. ANd it does help illustrate nhow these subjects are used in the subject.
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Amen to that. It realy is a mix of all different subjects - Psychometrics are another physics area.. Not one of my favourites. Although I wouldnt be so sure about the maths, Having only taken it to GCSE im coping very well with it.
Doomadgee
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by creamcrackered)
Thanks pal. Now I'm sh***ing my pants. I'm a prospective journalism and psychology student and other than English I haven't done any of the others at A level. But I have obviously done psychology. ANd it does help illustrate nhow these subjects are used in the subject.
I wouldn't get too worried about it, I was really just pointing out how broad Psychology is when so many people knock it.

You'll have the added bonus of finding essays alot easier than most as you seem to have a leaning that way. Psychology attracts students from both Arts and Science backgrounds. By the end of the degree though you'll emerge very well rounded!
Doomadgee
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Hanzing)
Amen to that. It realy is a mix of all different subjects - Psychometrics are another physics area.. Not one of my favourites. Although I wouldnt be so sure about the maths, Having only taken it to GCSE im coping very well with it.
Maths is definately something that I reckon everybody can do, sometimes some people need to approach maths problems differently. I live with my mum who's convinced she can't do maths, never will be able to and then my dad who's career is based around degree level maths. I feel inbetween this because I seem to get side-tracked and look for problems that aren't even there (like my mum), but when shown a different method (by my dad) it usually just clicks! It upsets me that some people think it's impossible when just approaching it from a different view point makes it appear so simple.

Anyways that's kind of going off the point, what I mean to say is that the stats involved on my course is what we did in A-level maths and so it means I already know it, but I also know that people who did A-level Biology find they have already covered quite a bit of Biological Psychology. The stats can be done by everyone, just if you've already done A-level you have less work to do in that section of the course. I guess that comes into play with all A-level subjects though.
Zebrastripes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just finished my last lab report and last essay for the year. So relieved. Selling all my Psychology books now too. Not sure whether to do the exams or not..... have been doing quite well, a couple of firsts. Hmmm. Need to think about this.

How are first years getting on?
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Maths is definately something that I reckon everybody can do, sometimes some people need to approach maths problems differently. I live with my mum who's convinced she can't do maths, never will be able to and then my dad who's career is based around degree level maths. I feel inbetween this because I seem to get side-tracked and look for problems that aren't even there (like my mum), but when shown a different method (by my dad) it usually just clicks! It upsets me that some people think it's impossible when just approaching it from a different view point makes it appear so simple.

Anyways that's kind of going off the point, what I mean to say is that the stats involved on my course is what we did in A-level maths and so it means I already know it, but I also know that people who did A-level Biology find they have already covered quite a bit of Biological Psychology. The stats can be done by everyone, just if you've already done A-level you have less work to do in that section of the course. I guess that comes into play with all A-level subjects though.
Very true, My Bio A-level makes light work on the Biopsych stuff at the moment.
~Raven~
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Go di'm not - I just did an assignment on statistical tests (namely the binomial sign test and t-tests) and although I do enjoy the feeling when I finally crack it my brain just seizes up when numbers are put in front of me!

I'm so not a maths person. I'm starting to enjoy the science more though.
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I always love the feeling when I get it.. Did ANOVA's today and It finally made sense to me! I can do them. But Im def a science person too.
Gem
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wooo page 17 out of 35 for my dissertation! Half way there yeah baby! :dancing:

Sorry, just finally getting somewhere
Scared about the dissertation but oh well!
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wahey Ive been doing ANOVA's lately.. God there hard!
Gem
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wahey Ive been doing ANOVA's lately.. God there hard!
If you need a hand, ask me! I don't mind at all

I found them so hard at the time so don't worry, but now ironically, when I don't do stats, I understand them!
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thats about right.
winged vertigo
Report 12 years ago
Hey, has anyone got their coursework marks back? The marks at my school have been put down a grade and my teacher asked 10 other schools in the area and they too have been lowered by a grade. I am really annoyed about it , Has anyone else found that their coursework mark has gone down a grade. My teacher is getting them remoderated, but I am cross my grade was lower than it should have been anyway.
Gem
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Some how managed to get 63 (2.1) in my Neuropsychology coursework...don't know how that happened, probably gaveme someone else's mark but I'm happy!
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wahey

winged if its geting remoderated then it may get backup!
winged vertigo
Report 12 years ago
Unfortunately today, we were told that the school in refusing to get it remoderated. However we are resubmitting it, so It can go up in that respect. Whats really bad is that it is at the moment making it harder for me to get an A, especially since I am not doing any resits. I hope it goes up. Fingers crossed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1199)
79.56%
Leave (308)
20.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed