The Student Room Group

UKL Psychology Society (UKL PsychSoc)

Scroll to see replies

Yeah sounds good BA :smile: :hugs:

Ya know for ya disertation? in uni. Could you do a project on sex and psychology????????? do they allow taboo subjects?
Reply 921
creamcrackered
Yeah sounds good BA :smile: :hugs:

Ya know for ya disertation? in uni. Could you do a project on sex and psychology????????? do they allow taboo subjects?

You're obsessed with sex!

Such a Freud lover! Haha! :wink:

As for your project, they'll let you do anything you want providing you can provide a decent rationale, some relevant research and it gets through ethics :smile:
Gem
You're obsessed with sex!

Such a Freud lover! Haha! :wink:

As for your project, they'll let you do anything you want providing you can provide a decent rationale, some relevant research and it gets through ethics :smile:

Oh right...

*If I hypothesise that...

People who have had sex sleep better than those who haven't
and correlate... over a period:

AKA two people have sex for so many days...
And two people don't have sex for so many days...

and see if sleep is differing...
i.e. more deep sleep than other group etc???

*Do you get access to sleep monitors etc...

would the ethics committee allow such an experiment? If I got genuine volunteers, or do you think it'd be passed over???
Reply 923
creamcrackered
Oh right...

*If I hypothesise that...

People who have had sex sleep better than those who haven't
and correlate... over a period:

AKA two people have sex for so many days...
And two people don't have sex for so many days...

and see if sleep is differing...
i.e. more deep sleep than other group etc???

*Do you get access to sleep monitors etc...

would the ethics committee allow such an experiment? If I got genuine volunteers, or do you think it'd be passed over???

I *don't* think that'd pass, and I doubt you'd get access to labs/sleep monitors/willing volunteers so it may be hard.

Also you'de have to do repeated measures so you can account for individual differences...I was thinking more of questionnaires, that seems to be the way for undergraduate projects!
Gem
I *don't* think that'd pass, and I doubt you'd get access to labs/sleep monitors/willing volunteers so it may be hard.

Also you'de have to do repeated measures so you can account for individual differences...I was thinking more of questionnaires, that seems to be the way for undergraduate projects!

Yeah I'm aiming high... but one day you wait and see :p: :biggrin: lol

I'll think of something...

I could get volunteers...
equipment probably not...

measuring is hard... in more ways than one :wink: :rolleyes:

Yes yes I like freud... he was a very clever man :biggrin:
hmmm... I read this in the introduction to 'The Interpretation of Dreams...'

"There exists in every man an (infantile) unconscious disposition towards maternal incest and patricide..."

Obviously the Oedipus Complex...

The reversal being the Elektra Complex...

---

I don't think I'd like to agree with the theory, but it cannot be disproved as far as I know...

Does anyone, actually though agree with it downright, and are nto ashamed by its implications... ???? Just wondering...
Reply 926
It's a load of rubbish. I think it's more to do with personality conflicts between mothers and daughters than an Elektra complex.
fair enough raven... but meh you could say that, but still don't really disprove the theory :p: either way I like your idea :smile:

erm... psychological stances on serial killers?? If anyone cares to discuss...

I wanna go into criminal profiling or something along the lines, and I guess I have just cause to think about this stuff...
Reply 928
You're right, like all of Freud's theories you can't disprove it! It drives me mad because we all know they're rubbish but because we just can't prove it you end up thinking... hmm maybe there could be some truth in it.... but really you know fine well there isn't!

It's so frustrating :frown:
Yeah but only the complexes...

I agree with his idea that dreams are important, and that we have stages of psychosexuality etc...

but the rest whether provable or not just seems so ridiculous it's unreal... :smile:

It's cool though
Reply 930
creamcrackered
Yeah but only the complexes...

I agree with his idea that dreams are important, and that we have stages of psychosexuality etc...

but the rest whether provable or not just seems so ridiculous it's unreal... :smile:

It's cool though

Yes.... he has one of the only explanations of dreams that I agree with which is also very annoying since no-one can prove I'm right :frown:

I'm not sure about psychosexuality though, if he hadn't linked EVERYTHING else to sex I might go for it, but now I just think he's clutching at pervert-straws.
~Raven~
Yes.... he has one of the only explanations of dreams that I agree with which is also very annoying since no-one can prove I'm right :frown:

I'm not sure about psychosexuality though, if he hadn't linked EVERYTHING else to sex I might go for it, but now I just think he's clutching at pervert-straws.

Yep dreams... Wish-fulfilments...

I totally agree with that... his theories are a bit 'all over the place' but some seem right, and others don't... but the thing is, I figure it like he tried to make it so if you agree with one it automatically assumes you have to agree with the others... Nontheless he was a cool, clever and quite depraved man :p:

Hail Freud... he gave us psychology as we know it, he deserves some credit at least :smile:
Reply 932
Hmmm... grudgingly. :wink:
~Raven~
Hmmm... grudgingly. :wink:

hehe yeah :wink: lol

As a psycholgist sex is a major issue in my interest areas... How bout you :wink: hehe
Reply 934
Hahaha you dirty thing!

I'm more interested in sexuality than sex, I bet they don't let me do my dissertation on that though :frown:
~Raven~
Hahaha you dirty thing!

I'm more interested in sexuality than sex, I bet they don't let me do my dissertation on that though :frown:

awww you're like me...

I want to do a disertation on the links between sleep and sex... but they not let I bet :frown: the strict fuddy-duddies

Yeah I like sexuality, I mean it's cool, one of the first things you become aware of, after obviously learning to breath etc, is sexuality I reckon, and it then changes as you are hit with the society you're in... I guess, sorta. If you get my drift :smile:

Yes I am dirty, blame my parents... :p: lol :wink:
Anywho, you trying to say you all prissy and clean :biggrin: hehe
Reply 936
Hi everyone,

I recently requested to join this forum so I hope I can join! I love Psychology, although I'm not taking it for further studying I really enjoyed doing it at A Level :biggrin:
Reply 937
My Gawd I havent been on in 2 weeks..! Whats happening to me. :biggrin:
Hanzing
My Gawd I havent been on in 2 weeks..! Whats happening to me. :biggrin:
you've been conditioned by university :p:
Reply 939
Heh, Or Enjoy sleepiong way to much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending