UKL Psychology Society (UKL PsychSoc) Watch

squeak
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Could I join please?

I've studied psychology at a level, and I'm currently studying it at uni, with sociology.

pretty please? :wink2:
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
lol course! welcome!
squeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
do I have to properly request to be a member, or does some other wonderful person do it for me? :p:
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you have to request and then i'll add you officially
squeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
cool beans :yy:
sour stone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I haven't done psychology stuff in ages...

But I remember a couple of names and i can't remember what they did, and i researching it cus you could tell me and it may help revision or something or whatever... so yea... people tell me what they did?

Rutter? ( First name might be Mark)
John Bowlby? - Summet to do with child deprivation?
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i remember bowlby having something to do with kids, i'll have to read up sorry but not heard of rutter before..

we can always help with revision and coursework if anyone wants, just give us a shout
squeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Bowlby

Mike?

google is there to help...
sour stone
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by squeak)
Bowlby

Mike?

google is there to help...
I thought it'd be a nice way for you psychology geezers to revise... And I'm not the sorta guy who's bothered about putting too much effort into things like this... lol
*Ariel*
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i have a question for those studying at degree level, is it a massive step from studying psychology at A level and then at degree level? i love how my teacher at the moment teaches us, we end up in discussions, and i learn everything from the lesson and understand everything, but i am scared it will be totally different at university being loads of people and listening from far away, at the moment there is only eight of us and all sit around a table eating chocolates whilst learning and my teacher is amazing she couldn't help us more, is it easy to concentrate in the lectures? and learn or do you go away thinking oh my god i didn't understand any of that?

i think i will also be scared to ask for help, are they there for you if you need it?

i am going to be a geek and sit right at the front of my lectures if i can
*Ariel*
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
oh my teacher also said she found psychology easier at degree level than A level as she said you fully concentrate on one thing at a time, is this true? x
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What I learned at Alevel was definitely different from what I'm learning now. Obviously they go through the basics with you etc, but still it's very different.

As to how the lectures are, it will vary for every university, but it's mostly the same. there will be at least 50 of you per lecture, you'll probably use a lecture room/theatre, the lecturer will stand at the front and he'll use a microphone or shout really loud. you want to do your best and avoid sitting at the back as that's where the loafers and people who don't really want to learn stay to chat and stuff. What most lectures do is teach through the lecture and then you can go up to them ask questions at the end. Some will leave spaces for questions during the lecture but it's more often the case that questions are saved for the end. that way at least if you're asking what you feel is a stupid question, the whole class doesn't have to know :p: Whether it's easy to concentrate in lectures is a more personal thing, if you are not easily distracted or if you like the topic then obviously you'll concentrate more. It varies for every individual but it shouldn't really be a problem.

You can do whatever you like in lectures, remember you're at uni, no one's going to stop you, you're an adult. So eat, chat, type into your laptop, whatever you want, just try not to disrupt the lecture :p: As to discussions, you'll find that the department will arrange seminars where students are in smaller groups so they can have more intense discussions and ask any questions they need. This will normally be no more than 30 students and is more like a discussion/debate than anything else. These are helpful so try to attend.

If you do have any questions, remember the lecturers are there to help you so you can book appointments, go to them after lectures, go to seminars and workshops, join/form a study group, ask your personal tutor or ask around and if in doubt, ask us here and we'll be willing to help.

Your last question about concentrating on one thing at a time,i don't know how to answer that because i know all through my schooling life, in every subject, you concentrate on one topic before going to another one. so there's no difference there i don't think, or maybe i've misunderstood your question?

I hope my answers help, if you need more info you can ask here or feel free to pm me.
*Ariel*
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yea it really helped thankyou! i'll probs ask questions at the end if i have any, id be so intimidated with that many strangers! oh one more thing do you have to do lots of presentations in front the group?
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Depends on your uni or lecturer. The only time I've had to do a presentation was with my lab group and we split it amongst ourselves so we each spoke for about 3mins, it was a 15min thing overall. But I doubt you'll need to give too many presentations, i doubt you'll even do any in your 1st year, i sure didn't.
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Did anyone here study Psychology with Clinical Psychology?

If so, what kind of things did you cover in your final year, and what did you research?

Thanks!
sour stone
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just made a thread... Is being fat a disease...

And thought I'd introduce it to the psycho set because I reckon it's a rather interesting thing?

Would you say Obesity could be put in the same category as Anorexia and Bulimia now as an eating disorder?

What ya think?
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It can be a form of an eating disorder, but a disease? we all know that obesity is partially a problem that is caused by the environment/external factors and nature.to call it a disease however....i'm not in agreement.

btw: hey cream crackered
sour stone
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by La Trampa)
It can be a form of an eating disorder, but a disease? we all know that obesity is partially a problem that is caused by the environment/external factors and nature.to call it a disease however....i'm not in agreement.

btw: hey cream crackered
agreement...

hello... erm... la trampa? Shylock?

Nice stuff
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sour stone)
agreement...

hello... erm... la trampa? Shylock?

Nice stuff
tis me
sour stone
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
reckoned it was... nice stuff...

hows ya been...

im back on here for a bit... usually a good time killer... or a can't sleep summet to do thing... hmmm... but its different oh well...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?