Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i've been alright yourself?
    so why the obesity topic?

ReputationRep:
    okay... actually 07 prob my best year in recent memory. Good stuff throughout mainly... So that was alright... Yep... Thanks.

Oh I just wondered tbh... that thread got closed, i guess to some it would be offensive. So oh well...

I was just watching Ricky Gervais and he goes on about it, and I just wondered if anyone thought it was a disease. No one did. I was annoyed though, almost 100 posts and they closed it. Damn... lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sour stone)
    Just made a thread... Is being fat a disease...

And thought I'd introduce it to the psycho set because I reckon it's a rather interesting thing?

Would you say Obesity could be put in the same category as Anorexia and Bulimia now as an eating disorder?

What ya think?

Obesity is definitely a type of eating disorder, they have an unhealthy obsession with food, only killing themselves by over eating instead of under eating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Ariel*)
    Obesity is definitely a type of eating disorder, they have an unhealthy obsession with food, only killing themselves by over eating instead of under eating
    i can actually agree with this. Because I don't see how anyone could possibly get to the size which is harmful like in excess of 30-40 stone and think nothing's wrong, and not try to rectify the problem by not eating and exercising more... It's horrendous...

shame my last thread got closed about it. I kinda went off topic in it by moaning about my personal foibles with big people... oops :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sour stone)
    i can actually agree with this. Because I don't see how anyone could possibly get to the size which is harmful like in excess of 30-40 stone and think nothing's wrong, and not try to rectify the problem by not eating and exercising more... It's horrendous...

shame my last thread got closed about it. I kinda went off topic in it by moaning about my personal foibles with big people... oops :rolleyes:
    i know its horrible! i dont know how you can let yourself get that big, i guess they're addicted to eating and use it for comfort, i'm the opposite if i'm depressed i don't eat ,when i'm happy i eat i watched this programme on TV the other nite, she had this operation to help her loose weight but she died afterwards from heart attack her poor children! she didn't move out of bed and everyone had to do things for her and she said that she didn't eat more than any1 else weird
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You have to remember there are several factors that can lead to being obese
    there's the nature gene. they can't help if they're genetically programmed to have more fat cells than others.
    also it's not that they don't know they have a problem, is that they choose to a) ignore it and think it'll go away b)they're stuck in a cycle c) they don't have support/someone badgering them to change.

a big person knows they're big. they know they're not healthy and they know they should get help. but if everyone around you is being polite and saying ''you're alright'' or ''it's normal because over 30% are the same'' or give some lame excuse, they just believe the excuse and they use that as their reason. this is self denial.

then there's the people who try, and some do succeed and lose the weight for whatever reason - wanting to have kids/better life etc. But there are others who, without the right support,think they can do it alone and then when they fail, they eat more. they're happy then they celebrate by eating. they're sad and they comfort themselves by eating.

like we've all mentioned, it is a form of an eating disorder just not the one the media concentrates on (those being bulimia and anorexia). if somehow doctors could get it into the heads of a big person and tell them and their families they've got an eating disorder and that they really need to reconsider things i.e. take a very harsh approach with them, then i think it can spark a sudden realisation in them. but until we stop being nice and polite, some people cant be helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Trampa)
    You have to remember there are several factors that can lead to being obese
    there's the nature gene. they can't help if they're genetically programmed to have more fat cells than others.
    also it's not that they don't know they have a problem, is that they choose to a) ignore it and think it'll go away b)they're stuck in a cycle c) they don't have support/someone badgering them to change.

a big person knows they're big. they know they're not healthy and they know they should get help. but if everyone around you is being polite and saying ''you're alright'' or ''it's normal because over 30% are the same'' or give some lame excuse, they just believe the excuse and they use that as their reason. this is self denial.

then there's the people who try, and some do succeed and lose the weight for whatever reason - wanting to have kids/better life etc. But there are others who, without the right support,think they can do it alone and then when they fail, they eat more. they're happy then they celebrate by eating. they're sad and they comfort themselves by eating.

like we've all mentioned, it is a form of an eating disorder just not the one the media concentrates on (those being bulimia and anorexia). if somehow doctors could get it into the heads of a big person and tell them and their families they've got an eating disorder and that they really need to reconsider things i.e. take a very harsh approach with them, then i think it can spark a sudden realisation in them. but until we stop being nice and polite, some people cant be helped.
    I don't think I can argue with that at all... A* material I would say

Excellent. And in depth... Cheers duck

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Thank you for adding me

And yes, there really is nothing more to necessary to add to La Trampa's post.

Was schizophrenia discussed here yet?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    no but if you'd like to we can go ahead. it'd be good revision for me actually :p:
    i really need to do some uni work :s:

ReputationRep:
    I wish the Psych forum was a bit more active, i.e. few more debates, current affairs etc.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    it's only as active as it's members you know.

ReputationRep:
    I made a thread a while ago about Freud in hope to stir up some opinions - was good while it lasted!

ReputationRep:
    Does Schizophrenia exist? and if it does can it be treated?

tadaaa! debate :p: ...maybe? :ninja:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    of course it exists, and although it can't be cured, you can treat it with certain drugs and reduce its effects/symptoms.

your turn.

ReputationRep:
    i think i have to study schizophrenia after these jan modules, for this exam im doing biological rhythms, sleep, dreaming, aggression, influence of the media, altruism, bystander behavior, gender, personality and adolescence feels like loadsss! it sucks how you cant pick what question to do either you HAVE 2 do the one thats set

anyway il listen to your debate about schizophrenia as it wil giv me hed start on revision 4 next exam lol think i have to do depression etc aswell
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i haven't started my schizophrenia revision yet as i have an annotated bibliography due in on monday that i'm yet to start.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Random luck I ended up back on TSR through a search engine and realised Im still signed in! so I felt compelled to say hellooo. Im a terrible Psych Soc lady!O.o TSR has changed alot. Mm back to my dissertation hell.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    hello! :hugs:
    good luck with it hon

ReputationRep:
    Hey! There is a TSR Psych Soc! Have been looking for it for a while...

Is this thread still used? No one's posted on it for a couple of weeks, if it's not, is there a new one?

Sorry, loads of qu's, I'm blaming the fact that it's late and I've been shortening an essay on babies innate social skills all of today...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    this is the official soc and it's still in use yes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 30, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.