Turn on thread page Beta

UKL Psychology Society (UKL PsychSoc) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluth.)
    £54??? I'm pretty sure my undergrad membership was £18-20. I have to say, I now have a massive pile of unopened The Psychologist magazines that have never been read I also won free years worth of graduate membership, which is annoying seeing as I am not on a course this year. Now I'm going to have another stack magazines Maybe I should actually get round to reading them!

I'm looking in to everything really... taught Msc (probably either research methods or neuropsych), Msc by research or Phd.
    Yes, at least I think so! Its much lower for postgrads, something like £20. I don't really need more psychology magazines so i don't think i'll bother :P

Can you only apply for a masters after graduating? I really like the look of going to a university in the netherlands, like amsterdam or radboud for a masters. Amsterdam seems like a cool place.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone. This seems like a very old discussion but i just wanted someone to guide me for the field of psychology Im going to choose my A levels this year.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by iammichealjackson)
    Yes, at least I think so! Its much lower for postgrads, something like £20. I don't really need more psychology magazines so i don't think i'll bother :P

Can you only apply for a masters after graduating? I really like the look of going to a university in the netherlands, like amsterdam or radboud for a masters. Amsterdam seems like a cool place.
    Yeah, you can apply in your final year if you know what you want to do...which I didn't. I have just looked at the BPS pricing and it is £19/£23 (depending on payment method) if you are a student and not earning a taxable income

What psychology magazines do you read? Are there any particularly reputable ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluth.)
    Yeah, you can apply in your final year if you know what you want to do...which I didn't. I have just looked at the BPS pricing and it is £19/£23 (depending on payment method) if you are a student and not earning a taxable income

What psychology magazines do you read? Are there any particularly reputable ones?
    Well i just read scientific american mind and newscietist. However when i come back from uni i will have a pile of 8 newscientists to read and a couple of american minds (it is bimonthly). I would recommend it, its pretty reputable. Its an american mag and has quite a lot of big names in it (even from the UK). Do you read any? I imagine these days there are probably blogs and podcasts out there for psychology which are just as good...

Oh and thanks! I wasn't looking at the "not earning taxable income".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maleeha121)
    Hi Everyone. This seems like a very old discussion but i just wanted someone to guide me for the field of psychology Im going to choose my A levels this year.
    I would probably begin by reading some books on the topic. I got into psychology through robert winston's "THe human mind", which is a really good introduction to BIOLOGICAL and COGNITIVE psychology. "The Social Animal" by Aronson is a good introduction to SOCIAL psychology, although expensive (not if you buy a younger edition though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iammichealjackson)
    I would probably begin by reading some books on the topic. I got into psychology through robert winston's "THe human mind", which is a really good introduction to BIOLOGICAL and COGNITIVE psychology. "The Social Animal" by Aronson is a good introduction to SOCIAL psychology, although expensive (not if you buy a younger edition though).
    Okay thankyou I'l start reading the human mind soon
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sure Are you at school or university?

ReputationRep:
    hi there, have just started A level psychology and have to do an essay on the 4 stages of lifespan development. wondering if anyone had an old essay i could look at so i have an idea of how to write one. i dont want to copy it and it does not have to relate to my essay. i want to see how you critically evaluate etc.. any help would be most appreciated. Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've just started studying psychology at university! I just joined the group
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yay, new people :hello:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've just joined the group, currently doing A-Levels, and I'm thinking about doing Psychology at Uni and then do my Masters/PHD afterwards in Counselling. But before I do all that, I was wondering what it was like to study General Psychology at University. Can anyone give a me a general background on what we learn and how hard it is? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JtChan)
    Hey, I've just joined the group, currently doing A-Levels, and I'm thinking about doing Psychology at Uni and then do my Masters/PHD afterwards in Counselling. But before I do all that, I was wondering what it was like to study General Psychology at University. Can anyone give a me a general background on what we learn and how hard it is? Thanks.
    Compared to other degrees at my uni we have probably a lower workload than average, probably around the same as history or english lit but less than some harder sciences get.

http://www.youtube.com/course?list=EC6A08EB4EEFF3E91F I always recommend going through these lectures for newbies. Psychology isn't the study of counselling and it is MUCH broader- if your interested in counselling then other degrees might be more useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bohogirlie)
    Loads of people on the board seem to study psych
    And i love it. I know a lot of people on this board who don't study it say it is mickey mouse blah blah blah, but who really cares!!

If you want to join, just add a message and i'll add you to the members list

Leader

bohogirlie

Sub-Leaders

AATTMM
    Hanzing

Member List

StarBlueUK
    LS.
    *Riz*
    jamierwilliams
    lou p lou
    MiniBarSmarties
    Shoe box 10
    ~Sam~
    .NK
    Fly By
    SiAnY
    sassysiren
    hunny bun
    Lyte
    vavavoom
    alio
    Specialheffa
    rednirt
    ruthiepoothie
    Marie55
    Mineko
    BlueAngel
    Mad Kuri
    Txt Eva
    *Skye*
    Plug
    Tazzie
    squideye
    lil crazyflakes
    ooops!
    frost105
    Psychbrainiac
    fishcat
    ladydeborah
    papercut ska
    Danni_Bella83
    Eddie87-04
    lauren23
    Ahollisan
    silverleaf
    sweetheart1241
    luize
    Emsy
    Pianogurrl
    saiyamana
    bohogirlie
    yuki
    ainat87
    blondebombshell
    littlepinkpixie
    Jellybabie83
    aim33 14
    cat meiow
    Peter E
    Ultima gtr
    chocolate fudge
    sokas
    raven4723
    girlpants
    ~Raven~
    Sam2005
    HearTheThunder
    leigh787
    saffie
    *gemchicken*
    saree
    DeLboY
    caesura
    ~*sweetness*~
    kate85
    Doom and Gloom
    clomoo
    Emily-Sarah
    rarely_may
    CheesyBeans
    mia gen
    daniellejuson
    .:fluff:.
    shylock
    podge
    princess_amy
    mich2005
    xXlil'-AnGelXx
    8owman
    10inchpianist
    monty mike
    friendsfreak88
    all i want
    sweetangel
    doomandgee
    pmc2k
    creamcrackered

To join, please see this page.
    I would like to join this page

ReputationRep:
    I would like to join this page

ReputationRep:
    i'd like to join please
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No need to ask, just go to the group and join

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it is not the right thread to ask but I am doing my psychology homework and I need the definition of absence of illness.
    I found 2 different definition on the internet HELP
    So, what is absence of illness?

ReputationRep:
    I'm into criminal psychology, but I guess I have to start from clinical, since most people follow that route!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by wingscarletx)
    I'm into criminal psychology, but I guess I have to start from clinical, since most people follow that route!
    You can do a forensic psychology masters instead. Check the BPS website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    You can do a forensic psychology masters instead. Check the BPS website
    Yes, that's what I mean. Getting a degree in Psychology then focus on Forensic/Criminal Psychology in higher studies.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 23, 2018

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.