The Student Room Group

Scared of graduation

so I graduate on wednesday and I`m scared of graduation.

My family are muslim, i have been trapped at home over the last month- i cannot fake smiles. furthermore, I am not graduation in baggy clothing and muslim attire (no offence to anyone) but in a nice dress and heels. my mother when I have been home makes me wear 3 layers of clothes lol

the other issue is that I need to move my stuff from my flat (at uni) to my friends as I`ll be staying with him for a while- this needs to be done by the 18th- i have not told my family i am leaving...

and finally it is eid on friday/saturday!!!

so scared of this- especially graduation as i`m proud of my achievement.And I guess I tell myself it`s okay as I`m doing a masters next year (havent told the family as they dont want me to do a masters) but still its graduation I want to feel happy and all celebratory! not miserable and trapped... :-(
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
so I graduate on wednesday and I`m scared of graduation.

My family are muslim, i have been trapped at home over the last month- i cannot fake smiles. furthermore, I am not graduation in baggy clothing and muslim attire (no offence to anyone) but in a nice dress and heels. my mother when I have been home makes me wear 3 layers of clothes lol

the other issue is that I need to move my stuff from my flat (at uni) to my friends as I`ll be staying with him for a while- this needs to be done by the 18th- i have not told my family i am leaving...

and finally it is eid on friday/saturday!!!

so scared of this- especially graduation as i`m proud of my achievement.And I guess I tell myself it`s okay as I`m doing a masters next year (havent told the family as they dont want me to do a masters) but still its graduation I want to feel happy and all celebratory! not miserable and trapped... :-(

I'm sorry that things are so tough at the moment. You are right that graduation should be a time of celebration. It is not clear just how difficult your relationship is with your family at the moment but are you in a position to sit down with them and talk to them about how you are feeling about graduation. About the fact that what you wear is your choice?

It seems like you have made quite a lot of decisions without telling them (there is nothing wrong with this) but you do probably need to let them know what is going on so that they can emotionally and practically prepare for the fact that you won't be living there next year.

Maybe if you feel able arrange to have a chat with either both of your parents or which ever one you feel most comfortable with this weekend. Tell them about your plans for graduation, tell them about your plans for next year and ask for their support and love even if they don't feel that it is the right decision. They may not react well but at least you can graduate knowing a bit more of what the future holds and having had a weight lifted off your chest.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending