JW22
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Some Universities have BSc CompSci courses and then MEng CompSci courses, I was wondering why don't the Universities have BSc and MSc, why does studying at Masters change the course to Engineering instead of Science?

Also is it generally easier to get onto undergraduate courses or masters at the same university and can you start with undergraduate and move onto masters or the other way around?
Duskstar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It doesn't really matter what the Sc/Eng is at some unis, but at some it does have a bit of a relation to the course - I think Sc courses, if the institution cares, tend to be more theoretical, and Eng tend to be more practical (/vocational?).

You second question also varies from place to place. Southampton has higher entry requirements for a Masters, and you have to choose at the time of application. Imperial, you can change after 1 year quite easily, after 2 years if you really want to, but you can't go on to do a Masters after just having done a Bachelor's. At Cambridge, you can only apply for a Bachelor's, and then they offer you a Masters if you get a 1st in your BA (yeah, it's a BA at Cambridge).

Ask whichever uni you're applying to, because it varies!
JW22
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Duskstar)
It doesn't really matter what the Sc/Eng is at some unis, but at some it does have a bit of a relation to the course - I think Sc courses, if the institution cares, tend to be more theoretical, and Eng tend to be more practical (/vocational?).

You second question also varies from place to place. Southampton has higher entry requirements for a Masters, and you have to choose at the time of application. Imperial, you can change after 1 year quite easily, after 2 years if you really want to, but you can't go on to do a Masters after just having done a Bachelor's. At Cambridge, you can only apply for a Bachelor's, and then they offer you a Masters if you get a 1st in your BA (yeah, it's a BA at Cambridge).

Ask whichever uni you're applying to, because it varies!
Thanks for the reply, it's a BA at Oxford to which is strange, Computer Science is the first course I've seen to be a BA, BSc and BEng at the same time. I've also just seen at other Unis like Imperial they have BSc and MEng for Undergrads and MSc for Postgrads, without looking at the specifics of the course is there a better route or any difference between doing the MEng or a BSc then going onto MSc courses?
gavinlowe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JW22)
Thanks for the reply, it's a BA at Oxford to which is strange, Computer Science is the first course I've seen to be a BA, BSc and BEng at the same time. I've also just seen at other Unis like Imperial they have BSc and MEng for Undergrads and MSc for Postgrads, without looking at the specifics of the course is there a better route or any difference between doing the MEng or a BSc then going onto MSc courses?
All three-year undergraduate degrees at Oxford are BAs. Don't ask me why. :dontknow:

The four-year degree is an MComp (Master of Computer Science), though, which seems more appropriate.

Gavin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.89%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (44)
19.56%

Watched Threads