The Student Room Group

What is the best city you have visited?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by silverbolt
Nope. From Dublin take the M50 and its pretty much a straight route the whole way there.

If your not driving, busses and trains go there as well. For the bus your best bet is the X20 has three stops Dublin airport, Athlone and Galway

Thanks! :smile: Something I shall consider doing later on this year/sometime next year.
Reply 61
San Francisco
Reply 62
My favourit german city is definitly berlin. It´s a crazy city. Whenever I visit Berlin I stay at Three Little Pigs Hostel (
http://www.three-little-pigs.com/en/). It is very centrally located and you always meet nice people from all over the world.:smile:
Reply 63
Original post by Kallisto
Been in Germany so far but not in Hamburg? that is a shame! shame on you! ...:tongue: seriously, an awesome city which you should visit from time to time.

I KNOW!!! I really really wanted to see Hamburg, but never got a chance to go that far north! Maybe as soon as I get a chance to finaly visit Copenhagen I'll stop by! :biggrin:
Original post by Summit
I KNOW!!! I really really wanted to see Hamburg, but never got a chance to go that far north! Maybe as soon as I get a chance to finaly visit Copenhagen I'll stop by! :biggrin:

Do it! you will like this city. The harbours with the gangplanks and the see routes in the city themselves are the best in my opinion what Hamburg has to offer.
Reply 65
I found Salzburg absolutely mesmerising ! Such and elegant,picturesque city, so much to do and see around. Great for a city break, particularly if you're a classical music enthusiast !
Original post by Consu24
I found Salzburg absolutely mesmerising ! Such and elegant,picturesque city, so much to do and see around. Great for a city break, particularly if you're a classical music enthusiast !

I thought that Vienna is well known for classical music? some people who have visited this city told me that it is like a great famous palace. After reading your statement, it seems to be true.
I thought that Vienna is well known for classical music? some people who have visited this city told me that it is like a great famous palace. After reading your statement, it seems to be true.

Both cities are well-known for classical music :smile: Mozart was from Salzburg, but Vienna is famous for its opera house and the Vienna Philharmonic orchestra.
Original post by Vindobona
Both cities are well-known for classical music :smile: Mozart was from Salzburg, but Vienna is famous for its opera house and the Vienna Philharmonic orchestra.

All right. Hope to meet Vienna or Salzburg in my life one day too. These cities look so wonderful. But honestly I am not so interest in classic musics, rather in paintings. :wink:
All right. Hope to meet Vienna or Salzburg in my life one day too. These cities look so wonderful. But honestly I am not so interest in classic musics, rather in paintings. :wink:

Vienna has a lot to offer in terms of culture and history in general :smile: It's also one of the safest, cleanest and 'greenest' cities in Europe, and therefore has been ranked number 1 globally for "quality of life" many times.
The city also manages to maintain its laid-back and relaxed vibe. Even though a lot of international organizations (UN, OPEC) and regional company headquarters are based here, the city never really feels busy or stressful.

Enough promotion now :wink: Being Viennese, I'm obviously biased.
But I've travelled to 51 countries and lived in 4 countries, and I honestly miss Vienna's unique atmosphere every time I'm abroad for a longer period of time.

Edit: I just realized you're German :smile: Then you probably know anyway what kind of atmosphere I'm trying to describe above ("Gemütlichkeit"), because I found that cities like Berlin, Cologne, Munich and Hamburg also have this more laid-back atmosphere compared to cities such as London, Paris or Rome.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Vindobona
Vienna has a lot to offer in terms of culture and history in general :smile: It's also one of the safest, cleanest and 'greenest' cities in Europe, and therefore has been ranked number 1 globally for "quality of life" many times.
The city also manages to maintain its laid-back and relaxed vibe. Even though a lot of international organizations (UN, OPEC) and regional company headquarters are based here, the city never really feels busy or stressful. (...)

That sounds good, even very good. Like cities which have an affinity to nature.

Enough promotion now :wink: Being Viennese, I'm obviously biased.
But I've travelled to 51 countries and lived in 4 countries, and I honestly miss Vienna's unique atmosphere every time I'm abroad for a longer period of time. (...)

Didn't know that you are a Viennese, but even if you are biased concerning your origin, that never minds! you want back to your roots, that stands to reason. I guess homesickness is always with us - a bit at least.

Edit: I just realized you're German :smile: Then you probably know anyway what kind of atmosphere I'm trying to describe above ("Gemütlichkeit"), because I found that cities like Berlin, Cologne, Munich and Hamburg also have this more laid-back atmosphere compared to cities such as London, Paris or Rome.

Yeah, you guessed it out, I am a German. But I have not been in Cologne, Munich or Berlin yet, but in Frankfurt, Dortmund, Gelsenkirchen, Darmstadt, Kiel and Hamburg.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 71
Edinburgh, outstanding night life, top eateries, golf, the fringe, running routes to die for (or on) a castle, Murrayfield, and i'm English!
Reply 72

That is true, both cities are recognised for classical music. However I was more impressed with Salzburg - there is truly a 'cosier' side to it in terms of cafes, and restaurants and overall street vibe, whereas Vienna is slightly more crowded and cosmopolitan. Everything was very artistic, from the public street displays, to the countless museums (i spent ages browsing through the museum of modern art haha) and green spaces. The RedBull Hangar is also a must if in the area :biggrin:
Reply 73
Definitely Vienna
Original post by Consu24
x

Well, well. By the look of it I have to visit this city one day. Can't wait to see the modern art museums and the green spaces which Italked about.
Barcelona, Spain.. Just amazing!!!
Reply 76
Paris/Geneva
Reykjavik, the public toilets are like mini space ships.
Well I have visited many cities of different different countries and few of my favorites are Marrakech, Rome, Paris, Zermatt etc.
Original post by Spock's Socks
Reykjavik. I loved the quirkiness of it and also the climate suited me perfectly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Iceland is very beautiful indeed. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest