The Student Room Group

If being gay is not a choice, is it therefore genetic?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lllllllllll
According to Bailey and Pillard it's 22% among fraternal male twins and 52% among male identical twins. So I think some genes are involved however the parents of the twins are probably heterosexual so I guess homosexuality caused by genetic factors may be due to mutations and/or independent assortment.

22% is also very high since the UK only has a 2.5% homosexuality rate among non-fraternal twins according to the Office of National Statistics. So my best explanation for this phenomenon is probably going to be something to do with placental development or experiences during early childhood from ages 0-5.

I think homosexuality is linked with both environmental and genetic factors however I'm not sure to what extent both are involved.

I think you may have misunderstood - I was making a joke. Admittedly not the best.
Reply 61
It is thought to have a genetic component, but it is influenced by other factors. Most genetics is not as simple as something like eye colour, phenotypes are normally a complex interaction between multiple genes and environmental factors. It is more like height: genes are involved but there is no single "tall gene", and non genetic factors also come into play.
Original post by Anonymous
Most of us now agree that homosexuality is something you are born with, rather than it being an individual's choice.

So, based on that fact, could sexuality be genetic. Is someone more likely to be gay if someone in their family was/is gay too?

Some twins like Jedward for example are both gay, so surely that must mean that sexuality is genetic right?

No one in family was/is gay, neither am I ... so it must be genetic!

No one in my family is gay but i am...? :smile:
Original post by emmajones12770
No one in my family is gay but i am...? :smile:

I'm not only speaking about direct family ... you might have had a gay ancestor or something.

Likely you're catfishing anyway :wink:
Original post by TurboCretin
I think you may have misunderstood - I was making a joke. Admittedly not the best.

It's okay, we all need to start somewhere :biggrin:
Reply 65
I think it's the other way round.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not only speaking about direct family ... you might have had a gay ancestor or something.

Likely you're catfishing anyway :wink:

I'm not catfishing in any way, sorry! Just plain me! And I don't think I have any gay ancestors as far back as I know. We know fairly far back as we have a detailed family tree dating from a few years back.
Most of us now agree that homosexuality is something you are born with, rather than it being an individual's choice.

So, based on that fact, could sexuality be genetic. Is someone more likely to be gay if someone in their family was/is gay too?

Some twins like Jedward for example are both gay, so surely that must mean that sexuality is genetic right?

No one in family was/is gay, neither am I ... so it must be genetic!

I'm sorry, but your argument kind of falls apart at the first sentence, ie, "I'll assume it's true that..."
Original post by ninuzu
50% of it has direct genetic link because some studies showed that you can have genetically identical twins with different sexual orientations.

I remember reading that identical twins can have different gene expression. I don't remember much more about the subject though or why gene expression would be different in identical twins.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending