The Student Room Group

UK International Entry 2015

Hello internationals!

This thread is similar to the American applicants thread however it's directed to all international applicants who have applied/are still applying to study in the UK in 2015. So here is how it works introduce yourself and state your nationality and where you live. Post the:
- Course you applied for.
- Universities you applied for.
- Replies from universities.
- Decision.

If anyone needs guidance or have a question UK-study related they can post them here. However the discussions don't have to be just about the application process, universities and visa. It can be about anything! I created a group which is still pending TSR's approval, but once it's ready I will let you all know.

So without further ado, I'm Ali 20 years old. I previously studied at the University of Portsmouth, but didn't finish my degree. I'm sudanese and I have a resident permit in Doha, Qatar.

I applied to study Law with Criminology/Criminal Justice at
Brunel University London: rejected.
University of East London: pending.
University of Roehampton: unconditional offer.
London Southbank University: pending.

I haven't made a decision yet, as you can see I still have choices to hear back from, however I'm leaning towards Roehampton. I applied late hence I still have pending replies, but I'm hoping to get everything sorted in time to start this September! :biggrin:

So that's me, what about you?
Reply 1
seems like not many international students apply to UK unis.
Hi I am Shelley, applied to and firmed University of Birmingham for Law LLB. I am Canadian.

Do you know if they are strict on having the funding in your account? I have enough to pay for tuition and accommodations and will do that before applying for the Visa as the funds have not been in my account for the 28 days they list. I will have to work the next month still to add to my savings for the funds needed each month to live. However, I am receiving money (about 250 pounds/month) from a relative whilst I am in school studying. Should I get her to do a formal letter and include that with my documents? Also, because the last of my funding is coming through this week and will hopefully have T/A paid by Friday I wasn't going to apply for the visa until August 10th. Classes start Sept 21st am I pushing it? They say processing takes 3-4 weeks?

Sorry I have read the T4 guidelines book and some of it seems pretty unreal for us international students.
Reply 3
Original post by rkhan34
seems like not many international students apply to UK unis.

there are a lot of american students from what I read on the other thread, but yeah not many internationals (non-americans) on TSR.
Reply 4
Hey, from my previous experience with the visa application the funding has to be on your account or a family member, however they have to prove their relation to you. Remember tuition fees and accommodation fall into two different categories, one is tuition and the other one is maintenance. I would think that you need something more than a letter from her, passport/ID that shows the relation with family names. If all your documents are fine it shouldn't take that long, when I applied it took 3 days! I know right, the guidelines are very specific!

Update, I firmed LLB (HONS) Law and Criminology at the University of Roehampton.
Original post by alibashir
Hey, from my previous experience with the visa application the funding has to be on your account or a family member, however they have to prove their relation to you. Remember tuition fees and accommodation fall into two different categories, one is tuition and the other one is maintenance. I would think that you need something more than a letter from her, passport/ID that shows the relation with family names. If all your documents are fine it shouldn't take that long, when I applied it took 3 days! I know right, the guidelines are very specific!

Update, I firmed LLB (HONS) Law and Criminology at the University of Roehampton.

What if I had the tuition paid for. Then would just show I have enough for the maintenance. Just to confirm do they view maintenance as accommodations and ongoing living costs?
Yeah, they usually want you to have enough in your account to cover accommodation and living, or have a family member sign off that they're sending you money.
Hello y'all! I'm Prarthana from India and I applied to 5 unis for the LLB (four, actually. I applied to Cardiff University for Journalism and got rejected). Received offers from Bristol, Birmingham, Durham and Warwick. Bristol is my firm choice and since the offer is unconditional, I'm in :biggrin:
However, I wish I started with the entire process last year when Oxbridge accepted applications. Due to my tardiness, I had to miss out Oxbridge and London unis.
All the best to everyone else :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Charmed_77
What if I had the tuition paid for. Then would just show I have enough for the maintenance. Just to confirm do they view maintenance as accommodations and ongoing living costs?

If you already paid your full tuition fees, then it would show on your CAS letter that you did so and my understanding is that you will b exempt from showing any proof. Double check on the guidance if maintenance included accommodation, but definitely it included living costs, and it depends on your location. I think that even if you have all the money for the accommodation you can't pay all of it.
Reply 9
Original post by EtherealElf
Hello y'all! I'm Prarthana from India and I applied to 5 unis for the LLB (four, actually. I applied to Cardiff University for Journalism and got rejected). Received offers from Bristol, Birmingham, Durham and Warwick. Bristol is my firm choice and since the offer is unconditional, I'm in :biggrin:
However, I wish I started with the entire process last year when Oxbridge accepted applications. Due to my tardiness, I had to miss out Oxbridge and London unis.
All the best to everyone else :smile:

Hello Prarathana! Congratulations on your offer and good luck with everything, hopefully when we are all in the UK we can organize a meet-up or something.
Hey JI’m a business and marketing student in Glasgow, and waswondering if I could just ask a quick question for my dissertation:When choosing to study at a UK University, what factors aremost important in your decision?Thanks!
Hi y'all! I come from Macedonia, and I've applied for a degree on biological sciences on several universities:
1. Manchester - pending
2. Edinburgh - conditional
3. Edinburgh (molecular genetics) - conditional
4. Warwick - rejected
5. Bristol - pending
My first choice is Edinburgh though. :biggrin:
Reply 12
Omg!!!! Goin to roehampton uni (2016) anyone with me ?? For business management ??
Reply 13
Hello everyone! I'm a Malaysian-Chinese & I've applied for MSc. postgraduate study on business/international management-related courses through an agent:

1. York St.John University - (Unconditional + £1,000 Accommodation Bursary)
2. Edinburgh Napier University - (Unconditional)
3. Sheffield Hallam University - (Unconditional)
4. University of Nottingham - (Pending)
5. Lancaster University - (Pending)
6. CASS Business School, City University London) - (Unconditional - Out of my budget >.< )
7. University of Sussex - (Pending)
8. University of Birmingham - (Pending)
9. Coventry University - (Unconditional)
10. Northumbria University Newcastle (Unconditional - Academic Scholarship £1,500 )
11. UCLAN - (Unconditional)
12. University of West of England - (Unconditional)
13. Loughborough University - (Pending)

Final Decision: MSc. Business with International Management (Nothumbria University, Newcastle Business School)

**(My first choice was Nottingham/Sussex.)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending