The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Am i going to be a skint student?

despite the stereotype of skint students, will I be okay as my payments are paid in three instalments of : 25% sept, 50%dec, 25% april (according to the university of Manchester).
Also, I am doing a life sciences foundation year with UoM (you get extra cash bursary of 3K split in 3 installments) and I also get (1K per year cash bursary split in the 3 instalments), on top of the maintenance grant and loan. I also wont be moving out for uni. what does my financial life look like?
I'm a bit confused as to where each of these bursaries are coming from, can you explain in a bit more detail?

You receive your maintenance loan and grant in three more or less equal instalments in September, January and April. Cash bursaries from the university are paid in instalments of 25% in December, 50% in February and 25% in April. The foundation year bursary gives you up to £5000 depending on your household income. What is your household income, by the way? As it needs to be under £35,000 to qualify for any of the bursaries.

Regardless of the exact amounts you'll be getting, you'll be fine if you're living at home. Will you be paying rent to your parents or paying for your own food or anything? Because if not, the only real expenses you'll have will be travel, which the maintenance loan alone should be able to cover. I've spent the last two years commuting from home with the lowest maintenance loan possible (about £2800) and despite having to pay hundreds of pounds in train fares each term, I still had some money left over.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending